Author Topic: Lavos's actual size  (Read 14473 times)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos's actual size
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 09:42:40 am »
Maybe in the PD a lot of time passed before OP, or maybe Lavos had already matured into that form/size before the Antiquity period.

Thacrudd

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Where's the any key?!?
    • View Profile
    • SectorTEN - Stickers and Decals!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:25 pm »
What about the size of the lavos spawns on Death Peak(?) They aren't much bigger than the party. I can't remember how big the sprite is when he destroys the tyranno lair, but if the spawns are that small when you're fighting them (the ones on the mountian) couldn't one assume that is the form it was in when it fell and it grows larger from there?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 12:48:13 am »
Well, you could, but the sprite of Lavos flying through space doesn't exactly look like a Spawn...Though I guess it's kind of hard to tell...It could, or it could have grown some during its travels in space even...It's kind of up in the air, really...

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 03:46:12 pm »
What about the size of the lavos spawns on Death Peak(?) They aren't much bigger than the party. I can't remember how big the sprite is when he destroys the tyranno lair, but if the spawns are that small when you're fighting them (the ones on the mountian) couldn't one assume that is the form it was in when it fell and it grows larger from there?

yea I think the same way, pretty much.

1. Parent reaches evolutionary peak with available resources.
2. Rises, eliminates immediate threats to its spawn. (destroys world)
3. Gives birth to spawn.
4. Lives on or dies (who knows)
5. Spawn slowly grows.
6. When they reach some unknown point of maturity they leave the "nest".
7. They find a new "nest" (either homing in on life-bearing planets, or randomly wandering through space)
8. Rinse, repeat

Looking at the sprites,  Lavos in 65mil BC looks like it would be bigger than the spawn we see in the game, but much smaller than the fully matured Lavos we see erupt in 1999AD.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 03:50:57 pm »
3. Gives birth to spawn.
4. Lives on or dies (who knows)
5. Spawn slowly grows.

I'll combine those with my theory, Lavos dies while giving birth, who then in turn feed on the dead carcass and grow.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 01:14:16 am »
It's also difficult to tell because map sprites are off-kilter (Crono & Co. are bigger than houses...!)...>_>

Feldschlacht IV

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 03:00:52 pm »
If anything, how does Lavos launch his spawn out into space?

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 03:55:27 pm »

The Mother Brain in Geno Dome mentions that one day the spawn will take to the stars to search for other worlds.   <--- Paraphrase.

The impression I get is that Lavos has nothing to do with it - each spawn will launch itself when it's mature enough.   We know from CT:DS that the Elder Lavos Spawn is able to time travel - so it isn't off the wall to say that the spawn can provide their own propulsion into space.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:02 pm »
The middle bit had psychic powers.

Volbia

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »
well i believe that it had been feeding off the planet slowly bringing it to the point when the ice age began again in the "future" its feeding off animals etc to pick dna as described. i don't see any reason why it wouldn't be growing larger, we can most definitely assume so as the lavos spawn are not nearly as large as the "main" lavos. lavos is a planet destroyer and I do not see it escaping the planet. My guess is that the needles on it can be shot off as spawn. also about the size when fighting lavos' first form iit would seem to me that its showing only a small fraction of it's body equivalent to head and shoulders distance.

also about the core i think that the 3 parts are all lavos but are actually separate beings in that they do not share a single consciousness.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:56:34 pm by Volbia »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 05:55:23 pm »
I've heard a theory that Death Peak itself is actually Lavos's body.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 02:04:06 am »
Maybe papa Lavos launches the Spawn when he's fully matured. Who says the Lavos in the game is fully matured? He doesn't look that big. In the final fight, you don't see the whole body but it looks like you see the whole width on screen. It does take several million years to drain the planet.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:31 pm »

The Mother Brain in Geno Dome mentions that one day the spawn will take to the stars to search for other worlds.   <--- Paraphrase.

The impression I get is that Lavos has nothing to do with it - each spawn will launch itself when it's mature enough.   We know from CT:DS that the Elder Lavos Spawn is able to time travel - so it isn't off the wall to say that the spawn can provide their own propulsion into space.

Well, we're still not sure that that spawn inside the Black Omen was able to time travel. We just know through some method of either time or dimensional travel it was brought in front of you. I'm more a proponent of the possibility that the Queen brought the spawn there.

Miror B.

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 01:23:25 am »

Looking at a Lavos Spawn, it seems likely that it would generate some sort of anti-gravity field to leave the planet.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 01:32:36 am »
Maybe the beam Lavos uses to kill Crono is actually the equivalent of a biological jet engine?