Author Topic: "Square-Enix expecting big losses due to Chrono Trigger leak"  (Read 6945 times)

Ozzie

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: "Square-Enix expecting big losses due to Chrono Trigger leak"
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »
I have 3 copies on order, 2 of which I will never open (I should have done that with the SNES version, but I was young then).

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:16:23 pm by Ozzie »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »
I have 3 copies on order, 2 of which I will never open (I should have done that with the SNES version, but I was young then).

I'm buying 6, 1 I'm not going to open. That way, I can battle myself in Arena with each smidge.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 05:33:54 pm »
Wow, that's some serious dedication. I'm gonna buy one copy, if I'm lucky...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:27 pm »

I'm buying 6, 1 I'm not going to open. That way, I can battle myself in Arena with each smidge.

You're not serious, right? Besides, you can release your current monster and get others. Then again, you're not serious, right?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 08:17:56 pm »
I'd buy a copy but I don't have a DS.  I really don't want to spend $40 on a game that I won't ever be able to play until I get a DS which won't happen.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:26 pm »
justin is forgiven because he plans to add additional frames to Schala's spritesheet. Basically he's doing Square's work for them, so it evens out. Er, yeah.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »

You're not serious, right? Besides, you can release your current monster and get others. Then again, you're not serious, right?

I've told just about everyone to get me it for Christmas, so I'm expecting at least 2 copies.

Ramsus

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:04 am »
They should control their content better. I'm not pleased with the leak, but it's only their fault that it got out early unless some leet haxxor broke in and stole it which I doubt.

The only thing that would have prevented a "leak" of the game would have been a simultaneous North American/Japanese release as opposed to a staggered one. This possibility was probably considered, since the Japanese release already has the English localizations in it, but decided against for strategic business/sales purposes.

That's because this "leak" is just the Japanese ROM being released on the Internet and the anti-piracy features broken. Realistically, no amount of effort on the part of Square-Enix to protect their assets from any sort of leak could have prevented this from happening, except for either a simultaneous world-wide release, or not putting English localizations in the Japanese release.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:10:39 am by Ramsus »

NaYA

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 04:53:14 am »
The only thing that would have prevented a "leak" of the game would have been a simultaneous North American/Japanese release as opposed to a staggered one. This possibility was probably considered, since the Japanese release already has the English localizations in it, but decided against for strategic business/sales purposes.

That's because this "leak" is just the Japanese ROM being released on the Internet and the anti-piracy features broken. Realistically, no amount of effort on the part of Square-Enix to protect their assets from any sort of leak could have prevented this from happening, except for either a simultaneous world-wide release, or not putting English localizations in the Japanese release.

My thought exactly.
I don't know what their "strategic business/sales purpose" was but it didn't work out. I mean, they already had the English script in the Japanese version. They really should have seen this coming...
I bet most of people who are affected by this "leak" are people who were going to buy it in the first place, but knowing that they can start playing and see the differences without waiting for few more days, they downloaded/watched to weigh their options to see if it was really worth spending the money for a game they have played many times over already.
I'm still buying it. They'd better bring out a sequel for this. :P

I personally try out the ROMs to see if I really want the game or not, since I don't want to buy it without knowing the gameplay and end up wasting money for something that I'll be done within an hour and never play again.
I do buy most of the games that I like. It's the only way to support the game industry to bring out better games in the future.

I do wish however that Chrono Resurrection was allowed to be finished... :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:42:58 am by NaYA »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 11:44:02 am »
And we can't forget some blame lies in whoever decided to sell it early in Hong Kong.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 05:06:49 pm »
The hacker more than likely won't be punished for his exploit, and honestly, should he? What he did could easily be construed as civil disobedience─"hacktivism", as it were. Put simply, it's our fault(excluding I, of course; I haven't downloaded the ROM, but I will share the blame)─the downloaders. Like it or not, your individual actions(as in those who download, but don't buy) are what's actually to blame. Would you blame Smith & Wesson for making a gun that killed someone dear to you? No. You'd blame the shooter. All the same, no raindrop ever thinks it's responsible for the flood.

So, by that logic, why the hell does it matter who did what? It's our responsibility as Chrono fans to mitigate Square Enix's damages from hereon.

Ozzie

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:56 pm »

I've told just about everyone to get me it for Christmas, so I'm expecting at least 2 copies.

What a freakin'  great idea!
I should totally ask each family member (that will offer me a gift) to get this for me...

Heck, maybe on  the front page of the Compendium there could be a large section that will link to places to buy the game, like Starmen.net does for Mother 3. People visiting the compendium would see links and details to sites and stores that sell the game. Doing our part even if subliminally.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »
So, by that logic, why the hell does it matter who did what? It's our responsibility as Chrono fans to mitigate Square Enix's damages from hereon.

Absolutely.  It's our responsibility.

...and to a certain extent, those who download the ROM and don't buy it are directly responsible for Square Enix potentially not making the game.  By buying it you help show that there is interest in the Chrono Series, but by downloading the ROM you do nothing but entertain yourself at the expense of cheap entertainment.

I know that sounds extreme, but it's true.  I pray to God that everyone playing the ROM buys the game.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 09:48:34 pm »
Honestly, I don't think this is much of a leak. It would have been a big deal if it had been leaked two or three weeks before release, but this is just a matter of days. A lot of the "lost sales" stuff really doesn't pan out, and the MPAA is one of the most guilty parties in the bogus statistics business (claiming billions of dollars in losses for piracy without noticing that half of all movies these days totally suck or are half-baked remakes of old material).

That said, I applaud the people buying multiple copies. We need to make CT DS a massive profit for SE so they'll think about a new Chrono game.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:23 pm »
Put simply, it's our fault(excluding I, of course; I haven't downloaded the ROM, but I will share the blame)─the downloaders. Like it or not, your individual actions(as in those who download, but don't buy) are what's actually to blame. Would you blame Smith & Wesson for making a gun that killed someone dear to you? No. You'd blame the shooter.
Holy shit, I was about to say the exact same thing...We shouldn't assume that we, the downloaders, aren't at fault: if someone hacked and release the game but no one played it Square wouldn't need to claim that they're expecting big losses? If no one played it then no one would no whether or not they'd like the new content, or whether they'd lost faith in the series or Square. We can't just blame the company, or Hong Kong, or the hackers, ultimately it's our responsibility to, well, act responsibly.

But ZeaLitY is right, it was hacked and released how early? Like two days? Seems pretty negligible to me.