Author Topic: "Square-Enix expecting big losses due to Chrono Trigger leak"  (Read 7062 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: "Square-Enix expecting big losses due to Chrono Trigger leak"
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:04:05 pm »
The only big losses will be from them wasting their money on their pointless new anti-piracy efforts. That's the only reason they'd make a big deal about this...If anything, it probably attracted more pirates because they wanted to break it...

It's one thing if there's no English version available (ie - Mother 3 or Radical Dreamers), because your ONLY option is to download it, but for pete's sake, just go buy the darn thing.

I know what you mean, but I feel like nit-picking: Radical Dreamer's official release was downloadable as well...So everyone's only option is to download it, not just the English-speaking audience...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:06 pm »
Okay, if you wanna be nitpicky about Radical Dreamers...  But didn't it COST to download it when it first came out?

(Or where Satellite View games free back in the day...?_

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 12:43:57 am »
If they make a sequel for PS3 they won't loose anything because there is noway to can play any ps3 buckup games.
So please Chrono Break, Chrono Break!!!!

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:40 am »
If they make a sequel for PS3 they won't loose anything because there is noway to can play any ps3 buckup games.

Not true. Custom firmware and Blu-Ray burners are amazing.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:09:03 am »

Not true. Custom firmware and Blu-Ray burners are amazing.
I don't think it would be very cost effective at this juncture to buy a Blu-Ray burner, let alone the media required, just to pirate one game...

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:26 am »
They should control their content better. I'm not pleased with the leak, but it's only their fault that it got out early unless some leet haxxor broke in and stole it which I doubt.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 02:14:09 am »
They should control their content better. I'm not pleased with the leak, but it's only their fault that it got out early unless some leet haxxor broke in and stole it which I doubt.
Even then, it would be their fault for not protecting their investment. I don't want to make it sound like 'might makes right', but it is what it is.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:52 am »
Yes, yes.  It's all Square Enix's fault.  They tried some advanced anti-piracy data for video games, and it got beat.  It happens all the time.  But blaming Square Enix?  Ha!  I blame hackers for doing it - and everyone who is playing the ROM and doesn't buy the game.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:13 am »
Eh, the blame should go around--even we, the truly devoted fans, have been guilty to a certain degree. Is it Square's fault? Perhaps, but they're also a victim here. They have every right to be pissed and overreact, if you ask me...maybe that's the price you pay when you wait so long to release something in the series.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 10:12:30 am »
There is at least one person on here that has said they will not be buying it because they didn't like the new content.  The new content being revealed by those playing the rom.  So assuming that person was going to buy it, that is one less customer for the game. 

That's not to say I don't use roms though, just an observation.

RyougaSaotome

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 10:19:02 am »
It's funny that SE is only speaking in regards to CT.

It got released early in Hong Kong, as games often do. You didn't see Konami whining about it's latest Castlevania, and sales have been quite good for that.

SE games get pirated to hell. This is a fact. CC, any Final Fantasy, doesn't matter. Chrono Trigger won't be pirated anymore than those games will.

And yet despite that, I still hold that CT will make a lot of money. Why? Because the people they want to buy it, will buy it. And so will the curious consumer.

What they're doing now, is trying to rope in more cash by playing a guilt card on those fans who maybe weren't going to buy it. I don't see them issuing a statement like this with their HUGE releases. Hell, PS2 gets hacked to hell, and they said nothing about XII getting pirated.

Darth Magus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The power of the Force is no match for Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »
It's funny that SE is only speaking in regards to CT.
Hell, PS2 gets hacked to hell, and they said nothing about XII getting pirated.

Actually, yes they did.  In fact, I never knew ps2 games could be pirated until I heard that XII was pirated. 
And I'm buying CTDS TWICE.  I preordered it for a friend (but I am SO keeping the bonus CD), and later I'll get the Japanese version so I can upload my save from my flashcard to the retail cart.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but CTDS is the first game I've paid for in months, although I will eventually buy DQIV .

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »
What they're doing now, is trying to rope in more cash by playing a guilt card on those fans who maybe weren't going to buy it.
I agree, and I was pretty surprised that they reacted this way about CT; the same exact thing happened with the DS release of FFIV, but for some reason they're holding CT on some crazy pedestal. Maybe they feel that the new endings might be a turnoff to some people, like placid said. That one member outright admitted he won't buy the game due to the ending. That's one sale, most of us are still planning on buying it anyway...

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 02:03:43 pm »
If blame is to be given it should be to two parties A) the pirates who created the ROM and B) Hong Kong for giving it out early in the first place.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 02:09:01 pm »
Let's just blame the Chinese, period. boo!