Author Topic: Official CT DS Differences Thread [IMMENSE SPOILERS ON PAGE 5 ONWARDS]  (Read 99928 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Official CT DS Differences Thread [IMMENSE SPOILERS ON PAGE 5 ONWARDS]
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2008, 10:11:22 pm »
Yeah pretty much what the guy said. You get the "nonsense" endings through beating Lavos in various chapters through a New Game+. This ending however is obtained by defeating a whole new extra boss that appears in the normal playthrough. So yeah, it's canon.

steampowered

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2008, 04:00:08 am »
It doesn't.  That could be hinting at where he is in Chrono Cross (ie - Guile) - but let's hope not.  Let's hope it could instead be used for a new Chrono game secretly in the works!

But you know what, it fits quite perfectly into some of the fan games being worked on around here...

Guile ends up not being Magus. According to an interview (linked from here I think), Guile was INTENDED to be Magus but they ended up scrapping it due to time.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2008, 04:41:01 am »
 Not time.    It was due to an ending imbalance. Everyone has their own unique sequence when dealing with Schala in that game. According to Kato, Magus would have totally drowned them out.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2008, 10:37:32 am »
Guile ends up not being Magus. According to an interview (linked from here I think), Guile was INTENDED to be Magus but they ended up scrapping it due to time.

We know that, hombre, but then again that was pre-CT:DS.  No telling if they're trying to rewrite canon or what.  In due time we will know.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2008, 10:51:38 am »
Or so we hope, but yeah, I don't know if we can use some of Kato's old statements regarding Guile anymore: CTDS is, like Boo said, rewriting canon. We'll need to see a post CTDS statement by Kato before we can make a fair judgment.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »
The Amulet is now called "Schala's Amulet". The description is "An amulet received from Schala."

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:56 pm »
*sees the Post-Final-Boss pic*

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
HOLY F***ING CRAP-MONKEY SH** ON RYE!!!

'Nuff said.

In other news, I can't wait for CTDS to hit stores here in the US on Tuesday.

(Query: The release date IS Tuesday, right? I heard they pushed it back to Wednesday.)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:47 am »
I have been following the news and have returned here to see this site flourishing like never before!

*saw the spoiler of Schala*

I am actually right now in a web publishing class @ college, and my jaw dropped  for at least a couple minutes as I continued to read your posts afterwards. My professor was asking if I was O.K.

LOLz

This is most interesting. However, I do not understand at the moment and I am going to need to read up more here and get some of my Japanese friends to translate that page. How is this possible? Does this take place before or after the Lavos-inner core battle?

btw... it's great to be back here :D

EDIT: arggg!!! my Captain Picard avatar is gone!! WTF - I'll need to change this when I get home
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:05:02 am by Magus22 »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:03 am »
Magus22! Great to see you back!

How is this possible? Does this take place before or after the Lavos-inner core battle?

After, it gets unlocked as an option from the bucket in the End of Time once you finish the game.

steamwolf

• Iokan (+1)
  • The struggle is real...
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2008, 12:21:53 pm »
Well this is my first post, so excuse me if I am stepping out of line here or anything being a newcomer, but I've been reading this thread for some time now and thought I'd throw in a few of my own ideas.

Concerning the added ending: We see Magus inside the Dimensional Vortex, he says some meaningful Chrono stuff and then jumps in to save Schala. Well there is one thing I must ask...what happens if you kill Magus? Theoretically speaking, Frog killing Magus in the past should completely wipe him out if thats truly a future Magus, right? Yet no matter what, I bet you anything he's always there no matter if you kill his "past" self or not. So this brings up an interesting question in itself...

1. Is that really Magus?

2. Is he from another reality/universe?

3. Does this rewrite when the two worlds split?

4. Is it possible this is Magus from Radical Dreamers? And if so, does this mean it really is part of the canon and actually matters to the overall Chrono plot, or what?

Granted, my personal belief is it is a future Magus, but one cannot ignore these possibilities.

Concerning Magus being Guile: Its argued that Magus does not know how to exactly time travel, so he can't possibly be all that young as Guile appears in CC. Well I think everyone is forgetting one small piece of evidence here. The people of Zeal gained power from Lavos himself. Lavos is capable of effecting the space-time continuum aaaand...Queen Zeal herself can open gates to other time periods. Magus is her son, and unless this was removed from the new script, it is said Janus was more powerful than Schala, who appeared to be more powerful than Zeal (considering Zeal seemed to need Schala to do specific things, this conclusion seems to make sense).

Now granted, the age difference can be argued but I'll say this: If David Bowie can be sixty years old and look thirty-fourty, then a magical demon king who most likely can open up time-traveling portals can be fourty and look however the hell he wants imo (Though I'd like to see someone proove Magus' age, Toriyama isn't very good at realism). Guile could pass for thirty honestly. Now sure, Magus looks like a demon/fiend/mystic. But does anyone wonder if perhaps Magus' form in CT is a disguise? Remember, when he appeared to the Mystics as Janus, they attacked him. It would logically make sense to put on a disguise, use a Scythe, and appear more evil in order to frighten Guardia and keep the Mystics loyal to him. Really, why would magical power alter his physical form? Dalton clearly shows the ability to cast something similar to Dark Matter and he looks the same as ever. Also, Magus has used disguises in the past such as The Prophet. Now this was just a hood with shoulders, but either way he's used a disguise before to benefit himself. Whose to say Magus is nothing more than this? Its not even his real name, and Kato has had Magus go even further and go by Magil in RD.

Speaking of RD, I do believe one ending had Magil have amnesia and not know who he was, which sort of makes this make even more sense. Guile was...a bit too GOOD with Black elements, just happened to be able to float (not a common trait in 1020 AD), and his techs were too much like actual Shadow magic to be just coincidence. Sure, he was originally supposed to be Magus but he seemed too much like him to be altered to just be some dude who happened to be decent with magic. I'm not one for wishful thinking, but neither can I ignore the obvious.

Concerning the Dimensional Vortex: I am of the personal belief that this is either the Darkness Beyond Time, or similar to it. In which case, I do not believe that the Dream Devourer is something that happens after 1999, but something that occurred at the moment Lavos absorbed Schala. Now granted, I'm not exactly sure when the DD actually became what it is (it DOES exist outside of Time, so theoretically couldn't it exist at the same time as the normal Lavos?). Either way, I don't think it actually is at any particular point in time, as evidence to the Dimensional Distortion which seems to have various locations from multiple eras and locations throughout the game.

Either way, thats it for now. I think after I play the game I'll have more to say. So far from what I have see in videos and read, these are the conclusions I draw.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:58 pm »
Arc Impulse -> Frost Arc

wut.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2008, 05:58:10 pm »
Arc Impulse -> Frost Arc

wut.

Those bastards!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2008, 08:20:15 pm »
Confuse is now Frenzy. Now that name makes sence for the attack.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
Confuse is now Frenzy. Now that name makes sence for the attack.

Sux though since the fan-retelling "The Legend Of Chrono Trigger" (Which I COMPLETELY recommend that all CT fans read) actually gave an explanation for the name.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2008, 09:46:14 pm »
Wonder Shot's damage now varies depending on play time rather than a random multiplication.