Author Topic: Official CT DS Differences Thread [IMMENSE SPOILERS ON PAGE 5 ONWARDS]  (Read 99924 times)

Eket

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Official CT DS Differences Thread [IMMENSE SPOILERS ON PAGE 5 ONWARDS]
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2008, 01:00:54 pm »
Well... Doesn't magus himself say that this is a future where they have already defeated Lavos? The entire dream/time devourer bit, was a last ditch effort of Lavos to basically not die. Crono and Co actually helped Lavos become the dream devourer, it's their fault Schala got sucked into that dimensional vortex at the ocean palace incident. She might have saved herself if crono, magus etc weren't there.

The dream devourer also got unlocked after you ended the game once. The ability to still go back and fight lavos is just there, so you can basically refinish the game. Don't think it's anything more then that.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
So, does this means that the whole Dream Devourer thing is a 'post-game event'? It could make sense that way. Although, how would they get there I don't know.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »
If it is, that means when they fight the DD, Chrono and Marle should already be married, Lucca should already have found baby Kid, and Glenn should already be human again and promoted to knight (or whatever he's promoted to in the ending FMV).

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2008, 01:35:07 pm »
Which brings to another problem: Why would they travel to where the Dream Devourer is, anyway? That's the only flaw I see about being post-game.

Eket

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2008, 02:05:01 pm »
Hmm... Well, i guess Kato put himself in a corner on this one O.o;

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »
If it is, that means when they fight the DD, Chrono and Marle should already be married, Lucca should already have found baby Kid, and Glenn should already be human again and promoted to knight (or whatever he's promoted to in the ending FMV).
I dont think its a stretch to say that the DD fight could take place immediately after the Lavos fight, but before they return.

or, it could be that the canon ending of Trigger leaves the party with the Epoch, which provides a nice explanation of why they could go back to the End of Time.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »
But then, how does they learn about the DD? Ok, maybe Gaspar tells them. And then, how does Magus arrives there?

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2008, 02:27:53 pm »
But then, how does they learn about the DD? Ok, maybe Gaspar tells them. And then, how does Magus arrives there?
wouldnt YOU be a little curious when a new portal opened at the EoT?

It doesnt say. Presumably he finds a way sometime after Trigger. Makes sense that he'd be there just after the Lavos fight anyway, as thats the earliest time that the Devourer would exist.

Bringing Magus with you to fight the DD creates so many timeline issues. It'll be a while before we sort all this out.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2008, 03:44:44 pm »
Well the Chrono series always leaves some room for speculation...  The way I see it, after Chrono Trigger, after Lavos is defeated and the party separates, Magus somehow travels back in time to the moment with the Dream Devourer.  It's just Magus from the future, from my understanding...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »
UGH, damn Golem Twins Sisters. *just lost twice*

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2008, 06:54:04 pm »
It's easy dude :D Just equip yellow plate/vest and Rainbow helmet and burn loose with Lightning 2 or Luminaire :D

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2008, 07:39:09 pm »
The easiest way I found out was to use Water 2, then use Confuse on 1 golem.  Then have Robo do Robo Tackle.  If you do it in the right order, the golem will only attack with it's weak "Ice" attack.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2008, 08:26:17 pm »
Crono's new sword is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

And the new ultra armors are awesome.

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2008, 09:57:03 pm »
Isn't everyone overreacting to the "new ending"? For one, it's the last alternative ending. Should I remember you that there's also an ending where all the planet is Reptites? granted, there is a Reptite dimension, it illustrates another possibility... and this is exactly what the alternate Prophet/Magus says.

I think the new ending doesn't follow a chronological event leading to Chrono Cross (eh, the party was wiped by the Dream Devourer, no Robo, no Lucca, no one alive), but does however illustrate an aspect of the Chrono Series through an alternate story, much like the Reptites ending does.

What I'm saying is that Chrono and the others didn't really got there to fight the Devourer, but it does illustrate that Magus did. And had his memory erased. The party being there is irrelevant. They never really faced the Devourer.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »
Isn't everyone overreacting to the "new ending"? For one, it's the last alternative ending. Should I remember you that there's also an ending where all the planet is Reptites? granted, there is a Reptite dimension, it illustrates another possibility... and this is exactly what the alternate Prophet/Magus says.

I think the new ending doesn't follow a chronological event leading to Chrono Cross (eh, the party was wiped by the Dream Devourer, no Robo, no Lucca, no one alive), but does however illustrate an aspect of the Chrono Series through an alternate story, much like the Reptites ending does.

What I'm saying is that Chrono and the others didn't really got there to fight the Devourer, but it does illustrate that Magus did. And had his memory erased. The party being there is irrelevant. They never really faced the Devourer.
Given that this ending is not earned in the same way as the others, and its accessible in a normal game, not a New Game+, I think the canonical status of this ending is hard to dispute.