Poll

If you had a CT element, which one would it be?

Lightning, but in Japanese I'm heaven.
12 (18.2%)
Fire. Burn, baby, burn.
12 (18.2%)
Water, and I mean _water_, not ice.
5 (7.6%)
Water, but only below the freezing point.
6 (9.1%)
Shadow. I'm a master of all the elements.
26 (39.4%)
None, but my lasers do shadow damage.
2 (3%)
None, magic is for those who can't fight with their hands.
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: 2/19/05 - If you had a CT element, which one would it be?  (Read 14211 times)

Daniel Krispin

2/19/05 - If you had a CT element, which one would it be?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 01:55:11 am »
Well, someone appears to have resurrected an antiquated thread, so I don't feel bad posting. Anyway... what is it with all these people and 'shadow'? I know it's a valid elemental, and does not inherently imply evil, but I can bet you most people who like it like it because it's the whole dark and 'cool' seeming thing. Most, probably, would want to be like Magus. That is, until they're in his sort of position. His alleigance has virtually destroyed him, and the immesurably evil done through his hand far outweighs the good. There is nothing cool about him, really. He is someone to be lamented and pitied, a dark lord who sees the light but cannot attain it because his choices have damned him. Just a personal gripe of mine; I see on so many forums people thinking these dark characters are 'coolest' when, althought they are indeed very interesting and often deep, it is naive to think them just some kind of 'badass' to borrow the term.
Anyway, as far as magic goes, I went with lighning. Why? Because who would look for lighning from a clear sky? It is most unexpected, and has the power to lighten the dark places, and bring sight to blindness. In its incarntaions it is perhaps the most gracious, and most deadly. However, I almost chose the 'no magic', not for the sake of preferring fighting with hands, but for the philisophical idea that magic, as a power, would lend one to become prone to corruption. Like the Jedi in Star Wars. You begin all noble and heroic, but in time your power thwarts you and becomes your own downfall. That, may we not forget, was one of the chief follies of fabled Zeal - their magic bred arrogance, which sparked such overreaching pride within their hearts that they felt themselves superhuman, and reached in their infinite folly for immortality. Because of magic! Better to be a simple man without power than one struck down by power and pride, after all.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 02:52:36 am »
Quote from: Guardian_of_Ages
Well, someone appears to have resurrected an antiquated thread, so I don't feel bad posting. Anyway... what is it with all these people and 'shadow'? I know it's a valid elemental, and does not inherently imply evil, but I can bet you most people who like it like it because it's the whole dark and 'cool' seeming thing. Most, probably, would want to be like Magus. That is, until they're in his sort of position. His alleigance has virtually destroyed him, and the immesurably evil done through his hand far outweighs the good. There is nothing cool about him, really. He is someone to be lamented and pitied, a dark lord who sees the light but cannot attain it because his choices have damned him. Just a personal gripe of mine; I see on so many forums people thinking these dark characters are 'coolest' when, althought they are indeed very interesting and often deep, it is naive to think them just some kind of 'badass' to borrow the term.

I beg to differ. While Magus himself is responsible for his decisions, just as all men are responsible for their decisions, many of the events that transpired were thrust upon him. Janus did not decide that his father's death would lead his mother on a mad quest for immortality that would result in the death of his beloved sister, the destruction of his homeland (not that it matter a whole lot because of) his ejection through time.

Allow me to pause, and maybe rethink things a little. Janus was damned (would condemned be a better word?) by the decisions of others. Magus was damned, if anything, by his love for his sister. While his means were certainly not admirable (he relied on deception and violence without regard for consequences), it was his singleminded devotion to avenging a loved one that drove Magus' actions throughout the game.

I'd like to think, that after Lavos' defeat, Magus redeems himself through his quest for Schala, but the games give us no indication one way or the other, and his indications that Janus was another person certainly suggest that he may be beyond hope.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 03:35:05 am »

To say Magus is your favourite character does not necessarily mean you admire him.  Magus is one of the most complex and interesting characters in the whole series, which is reason enough to like him.

I think Shadow Magic is popular because is represents the highest level of magical ability.  It is certainly not evil.  Robo manipulates shadow energy, and I cannot imagine a character more pure of heart.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 04:14:07 am »
Quote from: GrayLensman

To say Magus is your favourite character does not necessarily mean you admire him.  Magus is one of the most complex and interesting characters in the whole series, which is reason enough to like him.

I think Shadow Magic is popular because is represents the highest level of magical ability.  It is certainly not evil.  Robo manipulates shadow energy, and I cannot imagine a character more pure of heart.

Didn't I say that? I said that I can well understand that it does not imply evil at all. I was just griping against the people that like Magus for his 'cool' darkness. I'd personally favour him over the other characters, but for his complexness, as you've said, and not for a certain thinking that darkness is in some way 'cool'. I've seen people on other forums like him for that reason, that's all. As I said, to like him for character traits, or to say 'shadow elemental' is perfectly valid in the right context, or if you're not just saying to try and be 'cool and dark'.

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 11:42:24 am »
Didn't I say that? I said that I can well understand that it does not imply evil at all. I was just griping against the people that like Magus for his 'cool' darkness. I'd personally favour him over the other characters, but for his complexness, as you've said, and not for a certain thinking that darkness is in some way 'cool'. I've seen people on other forums like him for that reason, that's all. As I said, to like him for character traits, or to say 'shadow elemental' is perfectly valid in the right context, or if you're not just saying to try and be 'cool and dark'.

Sorry, I'm not trying to contradict you.  

Magus appears to operate on scientific principles, but are there are also mystical or occult phenomenon?  Some of the things Magus is capable of (necromancy, summoning) appear to be supernatural.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
Re: 2/19/05 - If you had a CT element, which one would it be?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 02:56:56 am »
Well, someone appears to have resurrected an antiquated thread,

I want to be that guy! And since I didnt have the chance to have my input in this thread, while Im here, I would pick Shadow, No it's not because Magus uses it, but because Shadow is the purest form of magic, in other words Shadow = Holy/Lightning, So even though Shadow may be tied to evil and other things of the sort, it is actually the best.

**random fact**
Ninja's are always wearing black because the color black in Asia is considered Holy.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 03:49:41 am »
Ninjas don't always wear black. They do w/e the situation requires of them. Look at Storm Shadow! He wears white because he's an effing snow ninja. Black blends in with the darkness though, which is where they are a lot...Not refuting what you said, but I think there's more to it than that.

Nice bump, I guess...Though a fairly random (and kinda dumb) thread...You don't get to choose your Magical innate anyways, it's based on your inner strength! :lol:

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 04:24:13 am »
Ah, well an old poll.
If I can, I'll choose red.

That's most cheerful color IMO, and thus my favorite color.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 04:26:15 am »
This is about Magic, utunnels, not Elements.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 05:05:52 am »
Hmm, well, then fire.  :lol:

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 11:55:34 am »
I'll say Shadow.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »
I voted on this ages ago...and now have no idea which one I voted for.

At this point, I'm going to say I'd like water. Healing + being able to save yourself from drowning (which I am afraid of) = win.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »
As of Feb 12, 2005, with 11 voters...

Lightning, but in Japanese I'm heaven.    5 (14.3%)
Fire. Burn, baby, burn.    5 (14.3%)
Water, and I mean _water_, not ice.    2 (5.7%)
Water, but only below the freezing point.    3 (8.6%)
Shadow. I'm a master of all the elements.    16 (45.7%)
None, but my lasers do shadow damage.    2 (5.7%)
None, magic is for those who can't fight with their hands.    2 (5.7%)

I'm just posting this because I'm reopening it (which should allow you to see which you voted for now).

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »
lol, this is awesome, I ressurected an old thread and V has no problem with it ;)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 07:34:20 pm »
While you could have chosen a better topic to do it with, the Compendium is and always has been in favor of thread necromancy (at the very least over the making multiples of the same threads)...>_>

I have no idea if I voted in the poll before...It allowed me to vote, so either I didn't or else it allowed me to vote again after reopening it...Either way, there's one more for Shadow!