Author Topic: The Future of Chrono (One Possibility)  (Read 2257 times)

Darth Magus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The power of the Force is no match for Me.
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Chrono (One Possibility)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:56 pm »
What trips me up is how people can think the FF series will end so SOON when it's still obviously going strong.

In my case, it wasn't wishful thinking, I could have sworn Squenix really said that.  Probably just a rumor.

And I read one interview with a developer who wondered what to call summons in FF XXVIII (FF28).  So whether or not that game actually gets made, the possibilities are endless when it comes to Final Fantasy's eternal existence.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:12:30 pm by Darth Magus »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:38:45 pm »
What trips me up is how people can think the FF series will end so SOON when it's still obviously going strong. It's brought up with every installment. I remember when FFXII was announced, you had all these people saying, "Oh, this must be the FINAL Final Fantasy!". LOL, not the case. If anything, most interviews with the FF developers seems to state otherwise. I believe one had Kitase stating that he'd love to be involved with FF games up until he dies. Others basically said that as long as there are fans out there wanting FF games, Square will make them.

Yeah, go figure they'll actually run it like a business...supply & demand, people!

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:21 am »
based on the large differences in story and gameplay mechanics between trigger and cross alone, its my observation that the SE and related crew wouldn't want to produce another chrono game, let alone a series of them.  From some of the personal contribution entries i've read between this site and wikipedia, its a painstaking process to develop compelling story lines with a time theme without inconsistencies and holes. 

Now, I'm not a fan of Cross at all, and was really surprised to read about how well received it is, but I'm feeling that additional installments of chrono would succumb to the same fate of the mana-series,  simply decay with each installment and perhaps even tarnish the perceptions of the original.  From my standpoint, (again from one that didn't like cross) I feel that a sequel will either over-cannon cross, much like cross did to RD, (but on a much deeper scale) esp since I think cross pulled crap out of near nothingness for plot convenience, or they create a new setup, with a new structure on how to work in time-traveling mechanics, and potentially run risk of a direct comparison/competition with the chrono trigger set up, which it will probably lose.

Simply put, why create a complex money-cow that probably won't yield as much milk as an existing breed of money-cows that are much easier to breed? 

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 01:57:09 am »
Quote from: Xenterex
From my standpoint, (again from one that didn't like cross) I feel that a sequel will either over-cannon cross, much like cross did to RD

I doubt a new installment would truly retcon Chrono Cross...though I suppose you could see the dimensions merging as a kind of retcon...?

I'm feeling that additional installments of chrono would succumb to the same fate of the mana-series,  simply decay with each installment and perhaps even tarnish the perceptions of the original.

I think the only real problem with the Seiken Densetsu/Mana series is when they take it out of its element. When they've kept it in the action/adventure RPG genre, it's thrived. If they can realize that again, the series can get on the upswing again (I'd like to see SD2 & SD3, especially, get remakes of some kind)...Also, I will NEVER understand how wackos think somehow that sequels 'tarnish' the originals in any way. The originals are still always going to be there for you if you happen to like them more...hell, not even remakes can change that fact...That's such malarkey BS that's just in people's heads...

Simply put, why create a complex money-cow that probably won't yield as much milk as an existing breed of money-cows that are much easier to breed?

Because we demand it, that's why. It's not like they can't do both anyways...it's a pretty big company now...>_>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:59:02 am by V_Translanka »

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 05:25:35 am »
I doubt a new installment would truly retcon Chrono Cross...though I suppose you could see the dimensions merging as a kind of retcon...? 

I think the dimension merge is a self retcon.  Having an end situation where nobody involved is going to know that the dimension split in the first place pretty much is like saying "this didn't really happen anyway'  One could say that what they did will have an unknown impact on the future,  but that can be said about any story that you just up and introduce any character to it.   In that regard, I would say that anything that doesn't pertain to this dimension split and/or Serge is essentially admitting that nothing was accomplished that should not have happened anyway. 

Also, I will NEVER understand how wackos think somehow that sequels 'tarnish' the originals in any way. The originals are still always going to be there for you if you happen to like them more...hell, not even remakes can change that fact...That's such malarkey BS that's just in people's heads...

When sequels try to explain or give meaning to otherwise loose ends, ambiguous events, or any other mystery , and then give less than satisfactory results, then it certainly can alter perceptions.  It's not the same wonder or mystery or hope that it was before.  I will say, for me, this is unique to video games and is more of a mechanics issue, and even then my actually liking an original any less is rare, but it still happens. 

An example for me is Parasite Eve.  I wished that I hadn't played the sequel as it has lessened my view of the first game, I still have alot of praise for numero uno, but not as much with the knowledge of the second one looming over me.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 09:22:24 am »
Having an end situation where nobody involved is going to know that the dimension split in the first place pretty much is like saying "this didn't really happen anyway'...

Wouldn't Schala know?

When sequels try to explain or give meaning to otherwise loose ends, ambiguous events, or any other mystery , and then give less than satisfactory results, then it certainly can alter perceptions.  It's not the same wonder or mystery or hope that it was before.  I will say, for me, this is unique to video games and is more of a mechanics issue, and even then my actually liking an original any less is rare, but it still happens.

An example for me is Parasite Eve.  I wished that I hadn't played the sequel as it has lessened my view of the first game, I still have alot of praise for numero uno, but not as much with the knowledge of the second one looming over me.

See, I just don't see it that way, I guess...Sequels are greatly tied to originals, but many times, they act as separate stories. I could see judging the sequel based on the original, but not the other way around...and even then, it doesn't make much sense. They should just be judged on their own merit as individual stories. One does not change what's in the other...all it can change is your own perception of what the other is...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 01:43:03 pm »
I'm with V_Translanka on this one, you'll always have the originals to fall back on: looking back at Mana, my perceptions of SD2 and SD3 are unscathed, even after the nonsense that has been spewed out. But looking at Heroes of Mana or Children of Mana, with SD2 or SD3 in mind, I can't look at them positively.

Radical Dreamers was a bit strange for me, but I haven't let my perception of that game tarnish Chrono Trigger's reputation in my head.

As for sequels ruining series, that's something I always worry about. See, with Final Fantasy, you're rarely playing sequels, but with direct sequels (like Final Fantasy X-2), you have the possibility to tarnish the series (in that case, X-2 would tarnish the X series--not that it's much of a series--as opposed to just tarnishing FFX). But even if Square released a crappy installment in the Chrono series, I'll always have CT and CC to fall back on; it's the reputation of the series that has the possibility of being ruined.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 07:15:34 pm »
it's the reputation of the series that has the possibility of being ruined.

Yeah, that certainly makes sense.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »
See, I just don't see it that way, I guess...Sequels are greatly tied to originals, but many times, they act as separate stories
and in about 99.9843% of the time, they really are.  Let me put this into perspective directly in relation into the Chrono series. 

We have the ds gameplay conversion being revealed; spiffy keen.  It can share the love with more people.  However, once again, they're going to be adding to it, probably to help further justify the slop that is Cross, just like with the playstation release.  Pending the success, and meaning, of what they choose to add, does that then change Trigger?  Probably not.  If its consequential at worst, reviewers will phase it as something like 'it was great, except for that... and so on"  its extra, though probably going to be 'canon'.  In effect, any bad out of this would, as you say, largely effect just the reputation of the series, and further works, rather than the original.

But, its still the sequel trying to make a change on the original, and one, imo, for the worse.  The tip of this is to me, while Trigger had some loops and holes and what not that have great potential for a sequel of events, Cross has snipped that. (but not completed cut.)  That lack of 'cannon' potential does effect the story.  If the potential means didn't have a weight to the quality of the story, then no one could be success from 'trying to leave things up to the audience.'

So:

Wouldn't Schala know?

I'd rather Schala have not been in that particularly written predicament anyway, as I find the 'how's and 'why's and the 'whatnots' that got her in and out poorly conceived.  She'd be better off not knowing because it 'didn't happen.'

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:49 am »
See, I just don't see it that way, I guess...Sequels are greatly tied to originals, but many times, they act as separate stories
and in about 99.9843% of the time, they really are.  Let me put this into perspective directly in relation into the Chrono series. 

We have the ds gameplay conversion being revealed; spiffy keen.  It can share the love with more people.  However, once again, they're going to be adding to it, probably to help further justify the slop that is Cross, just like with the playstation release.  Pending the success, and meaning, of what they choose to add, does that then change Trigger?  Probably not.  If its consequential at worst, reviewers will phase it as something like 'it was great, except for that... and so on"  its extra, though probably going to be 'canon'.  In effect, any bad out of this would, as you say, largely effect just the reputation of the series, and further works, rather than the original.

I don't know if such a comparison will work or not with CTDS since I'm fairly sure there's a "classic mode" or something that allows you to play it largely as the original (idk HOW original, but at least w/o the FMVs)...but to me, an official new translation, at least, was more than necessary.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
The classic mode keeps original game play intact, while scraping the cut scenes. I figure they're sticking the revamped script in regardless of what mode you're playing.

But back to the point here, I understand what Xenterex is saying--when the adaptations of CT are done to make sense and pave the way for Chrono Cross (if they weren't supposed to already) it can seriously fuck the storyline. In that regard, the sequel sort of fucked the original game, to some extent. But for the most part I think the additions (aside from the coliseum) will add to CT's storyline.

If anything, take solace in the fact that Kato is overseeing everything, so we won't get some crappy cop-out like "And then Crono and co. went to Arni and met a man named Wazuki...he seems to be a strange character at best."