Poll

If a Chrono Trigger prequel fan game were made, assuming the plot allowed it in a non silly manner, what role would best suit Melchior?

A sword-carrying full-time party member.
7 (21.9%)
A cameo acting as a subtle hint of the events to unfold in Chrono Trigger.
6 (18.8%)
A sage-like character who guides the heroes at certain points.
19 (59.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Would Melchior Make a Cool Party Member in a Chrono Trigger fan game?  (Read 4726 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Assuming that such a fangame was actually created, what do you think would best suit Melchior?  Take nothing into consideration except for the fact that it's Melchior, the Guru of Life.  Ignore plot musings, etc.  Just think about the Melchior.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Would Melchior Make a Cool Party Member in a Chrono Trigger fan game?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »
I don't think he'd make a good playable. He seems to be too frail to fight physically. If anything, he would just sort of be a summon or something.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »
I'd honestly rather see Gaspar, just because you know he's hiding awesome combat talent.

And frankly, the dissonance of seeing an old man with a walking stick and bowler hat fight a cosmic horror like Lavos is cool.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:28:51 pm »
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Pyt.

But I can see Melchior as a sage like character, telling the heroes where to go. Isn't that what he already does anyways?

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:23:15 pm »
I agree, that he would make a good sage-like character--and like Onslaught said, he's already filling that role, to a limited extent. But I don't think there's anything keeping him from being a good fighter: he probably has some knowledge of weaponry, he is a blacksmith after all, and he probably has some interesting magical assets as well. I mean, the man created Masa, Mune, and Doreen, a technical ability like that could help in battle.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »
Melchior seems kind of anti-violence (that irony of his character was always a cool point about him), idk if I could see him as a party member...Though I don't know if I could see Gasper either...but you just know he'd have a Tech where he throws his hat! :lol:

Of all the older NPC dudes of CT, I'd rather see Toma become playable, I think...Maybe Toma's "Pop" would instead just revive him (or, hell, maybe you'd play as his ghost)...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »
Toma could be probably be more of a playable character than those others.
As for Gaspar, he's the Guru of Time! Not to mention hanging out with Spekkio so much he has to have some magical abilities...
Actually now that I'm on it, Spekkio would make a pretty awesome playable character. His form changing with his level.
Melchior though, can't see it. Cause he doesn't like fighting. Although it'd be funny to see a pacifist all out slaughtering every opponent in sight.  :lol: Makes me think of a horror movie...

"I don't want to do this..."
Chainsaw roars.
"But you leave me no choice, MEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:37 pm »
Toma is definitely one of the most playable NPCs, and he could probably be one helluva fighter, but holy shit, Spekkio would be one of the coolest playable characters in any game: he'd be like Pip, with a higher awesome factor. But I could see Melchior fighting, to some extent, he might be old, but if he was pushed right he could pull off a good attack or two.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:20:52 am »
Yeah, Spekkio would be like Pip in a world where Pip didn't suck ass...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:56:15 am »
Hehehe...  You like Toma as a playable character, eh...?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Sorry to bring this one back to life, but I think it'd be cool to have Melchior as a PC, as long as his character goes from fighting for necessity to what he is in CT, like if you show why he doesn't approve of violence. A lot of potential there, actually.

Toma, however, needs his own game. I think his story would need to be fleshed out. He's got Marty McFly syndrome already (Of course, I mean that his ancestors and descendants all look the same despite genetic variation, and not Parkinsons Disorder).

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
A Melchior spriteset would be difficult to make though. His body aspect doesn't match any other PC so you'd have to make his frames almost from scratch (as opposed to more simple works like modifying Magus' frames, etc.).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Yeah, we sorta talked about various other sprite sheets we'd like to see eventually...Zephira is currently working on the Prophet at the very least that I know of...But I also thought alt art Magus colors (aka Gold Pants, Red Cape, etc Magus) and maybe Living Statue Magus (Magus made to look like his statue come to life) would be cool...and of course badass Human Glenn...

I suppose in a prequel game, if it was done just right, I could see Melchior playable...

But yeah, I don't see his sprites really lending themselves much to action...Which might make it interesting to see done...I see him more at the weapon shop guy with a quirky sense of morals...Otherwise now I'd feel like he'd be too much like Zappa...

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
But I also thought alt art Magus colors (aka Gold Pants, Red Cape, etc Magus) and maybe Living Statue Magus (Magus made to look like his statue come to life) would be cool...

Magus with the red cape is easy (see attached).  Gold pants are a lot tougher--the highlight colour on his pants is used in his hair an awful lot, so staying within the colour constraints is proving more difficult.  If people are genuinely interested, I can keep working on it, though.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile

Maybe he looks better when holding a bottle of alcohol.