Author Topic: Funny Bit of IGN's CTDS Hands-On  (Read 1186 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Funny Bit of IGN's CTDS Hands-On
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:28:43 pm »
Quote from: Mark Bozon at IGN.com
The game may be over a decade old now, but with people new to the story (one of our other editors is playing in tandem with me, so you'll get a Chrono Trigger review that speaks from both the viewpoint of a returning fan, and a newcomer) we'll keep spoilers out in this preview. Basically the game -- as the title would imply -- is all about time travel, kicking things off with a young Crono being cast into the past in search of his cutie-pie inventor friend Marle.

I can only assume that he's the newcomer he talked about...:lol:

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Bit of IGN's CTDS Hands-On
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:33:59 pm »
Quote from: Mark Bozon at IGN.com
The game may be over a decade old now, but with people new to the story (one of our other editors is playing in tandem with me, so you'll get a Chrono Trigger review that speaks from both the viewpoint of a returning fan, and a newcomer) we'll keep spoilers out in this preview. Basically the game -- as the title would imply -- is all about time travel, kicking things off with a young Crono being cast into the past in search of his cutie-pie inventor friend Marle.

I can only assume that he's the newcomer he talked about...:lol:

HA!

Some returning fan he is, getting the characters mixed up. :/

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:03:52 am »
What? Don't you guys remember the kickass cave-wmoan Frog, and the loveable robot Magus? And certainly you couldn't have forgotten the darling princess with a wild side, and Crono's love interest, Toma.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:17:12 am »
Oh, geeze, I meant to share a link to the whole article...

IGN's Hands-On Chrono Trigger DS

That quote is right there in the middle of that first page more or less...

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:19:49 pm »
Its looking more and more clean and well laid out every time I see it.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:38:59 pm »
Pathetic that such a man dares call himself a Chrono fan.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:25 pm »
Uh, like I said, I don't think he's the returning Chrono fan...I think he's the newcomer, Dark Serge...>_>

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 12:20:31 am »
As long as the newcomers don't try and find some sort of canon connection with DB, then all will be fine.

EDIT: Holy...

1,500th POST!

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 02:58:47 am »
How can they let someone who never played the game do a preview. That'd be like me previewing a first person shooter "It was/will be boring....next game please!" "arn't you gonna play more then the openning..." "What more do you want from me!!!"

Damn I mean it's in the first 15 seconds of the playable game, she's the first party member mentioned (nameing screen) beside chrono! LUCCA!!!! It's like the 4th or 5th line that comes out of your mothers mouth!

What? Don't you guys remember the kickass cave-wmoan Frog, and the loveable robot Magus? And certainly you couldn't have forgotten the darling princess with a wild side, and Crono's love interest, Toma.
Princess Toma is my 2nd fav character   :) hehehehehehe :lol:
Oh course no one beats out the great villain....you know Giygas!*

*Yes let's reach into completly diffrent games....Actully once I was talking about Earthbound and I said Lavos instead of Giygas....I noticed right away...but still it was embarressing considering my love for both characters...but the complete and extream diffrence between the two hehehehehe! Master Lavos chose to forgive me though....I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 08:34:52 am »
I think someone coming from a fresh perspective gives it a more objective POV.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »
Yeah, I think they took the right approach, by letting both a newcomer and a returning member preview the game. The new guy will obviously let you know how the game plays out from an unbiased perspective, and the returner could probably give you some good insight into the new features.

I'll let their gaffe slide this time, thanks to the impressive screen shots they're providing.

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
I think someone coming from a fresh perspective gives it a more objective POV.

Yes I suppose that's true, btu still they got Lucca's name wrong  :(

:lol: But I got over it! I'm sure it will be awesome but the more newcomers the better!

As long as the newcomers don't try and find some sort of canon connection with DB, then all will be fine.

EDIT: Holy...

1,500th POST!

I'm more worried that some newer fan will think they are the God Among fans and start writing bad fan fiction, then they will join this site, and of course they will assume that they know everything and act like we are a bunch of idiots who can't even spell Chrono Trigger let along know any of it's wonders, they will assume that anyone who questions their opinion is not a true fan and soon more will pop up!, a huge flame war will start, the bored will decay into a mindless war over stupid stuff like the proper way to make your hair spikey like Chrono's and all that is good will be lost! Then a gate will open, but no one will notice because we will be to busy argueing with some arrogant a**hole to payattention. No one will time travel, and Lavos will rise and destroy us all.....
I may have given this scenario alittle to much thought.....I won't think I'm better then newer fans, it's just annoying a**hole no fun people who are really arrogant popup alot more often then they used to....oh and I'm cynical.....very cynical....ALL HAIL LAVOS!

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 09:54:42 pm »
Uh, like I said, I don't think he's the returning Chrono fan...I think he's the newcomer, Dark Serge...>_>

Meh, even as a newcomer it's a shameful mistake. Their names and personalities aren't that much alike.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 07:58:31 am »
Yeah, but he only just got his hands on it...it's just a preview after all...I already saw comments about it when I first posted this, so once their reviews hit, you know they'll be going over them with a fine-toothed comb and a big sad smiley face for anyone who further points out their foibles.

I'm more worried that some newer fan will think they are the God Among fans...

Already happening...

...and start writing bad fan fiction...

Already happening...

...then they will join this site, and of course they will assume that they know everything and act like we are a bunch of idiots who can't even spell Chrono Trigger let along know any of it's wonders...

Well, good, who better to set them straight?

...they will assume that anyone who questions their opinion is not a true fan...

That's as internet as pr0n right there...Nothing ever stops that. And, nah, arrogant fans tend to stick to GameFAQs...

*oh no he didn't!*
*yes he did!*
*who cares?!? that place is a hell hole!!*

The Compendium is not GameFAQs, nor will it ever be (Schala forbid). So have no fear. Don't panic. etc.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 08:00:37 am by V_Translanka »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
The Compendium doesn't lure in too many douche bags, in my opinion. I lures more people looking for analysis, insight, theories, etc--in fact, I didn't even realize the amount of emphasis and support this place provides for [good] fan fiction, so I won't worry too much about a sudden influx of morons.