Author Topic: Is there any interest in a Chrono Cross retranslation?  (Read 2515 times)

shinja

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Is there any interest in a Chrono Cross retranslation?
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »
I've been retranslating Chrono Trigger myself just to work on my Japanese, but it seems like KWhazit did a really good job with his retranslation.  What I've come up with only varies slightly from his work, and not in any really meaningful ways.

So I've turned my sights to Chrono Cross.  I finally acquired what I believe is the full Japanese script and I've started translating it.  Is anyone interested in the results of this?  So far the official translation seems pretty accurate with a few minor changes (I've only done the intro and part of Arni Village, so I can't say much yet).  Are people pretty much satisfied with the original translation?

If anyone is interested, are there specific conversations that I should work on first, or should I just head through the game chronologically?  Also, is this a good place to post my work as I go, or should I post somewhere else?

Example change:

Original:
Kid:
   Just you wait, Lynx!
   Today's gonna be the
   day of reckonin'!!!
   Say yer prayers!
   ...Not that it'll
   do ya any good!!!

Retranslation:
Kidd: Just wait, Yamaneko! Today for sure I will kill you!!
Even if now you cry and apologize, there will be no forgiveness!

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any interest in a Chrono Cross retranslation?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:58 pm »
Well, they say Richard Honeywood had Masato Kato's help, making some parts clearer than in the original. So it's assumed that it's pretty accurate and in some ways better than the original.

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:40:21 pm »
I can tell you for sure it's not that much accurate. And I believe Kato only helped with the ending, where they added the clone child part. For the rest, the script is just terrible, in perfect Square style.

DK_Donutlicious

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Good news, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:52:02 pm »
This sounds cool to me :) Would make another playthrough of CC more interesting for sure!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:40:21 pm »
If you shoot for anything, then above all else:

• Belthasar's explanation to Serge in the Viper Manor illusion at Terra Tower
  • All the dialogue on Opassa Beach from the Lucca, Marle, Crono ghosts etc.

That's where we're most likely to find some kind of incredible difference. And yeah, Honeywood said Kato helped him improve this stuff over the Japanese version (he cited the Belthasar explanation scene as an example), so who knows what we'll find. An entire translation probably isn't necessary for this reason, but these plot exposition points are too juicy to pass up.

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
  • I am Sailor Phantom of Middle Earth!
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:17:08 am »
It sounds like a nice idea, I'm curious about the differances and I'd definitly play it again.

shinja

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:49:11 am »
I can't guarantee this is perfect, but here's a little something to chew on.

Lucca's initial dialogue at Opassa:

OriginalRetranslation
So you finally made it, Serge...At last, you came, Serge.
When did this sorry tale all begin...?
Was it 10 years ago, when you almost drowned here?
I wonder when the currently occurring instance's story began.
Was it the time when you almost drowned here 10 years ago?
Or was it 14 years ago, when you were wounded by that panther demon that attacked you...
...resulting in you being carried to Chronopolis where you came into contact with FATE and the Frozen Flame...?
Or else it was the time 14 years ago when you were attacked by a panther demon and ended up coming into contact with FATE in Chronopolis?
Or perhaps it was even 2,400 years in the future, when the Time Crash hurled Chronopolis back to prehistoric times?Or could it be the time, 2400 years in the future, when Cronopolis was completely blown to the distant past by the Time Crash?
Or even it could have been 12,000 B.C., when an ancient magical kingdom met its end after trying to use Lavos...?Or was it back in the distant past, the bygone days of 12,000 B.C., when the Magical Kingdom of ancient times met its end as a result of Lavos?
Each is close to being correct...
And yet, at the same time, so far from the right answer!
All of these are nearly correct, but all of them are also far from the truth.
The true beginning was during the destruction of the ancient Kingdom of Zeal!
As the palace collapsed around her, Princess Schala was sucked into a dimensional vortex along with the Lavos Mammon Machine.
Schala and Lavos became unified into one even more powerful entity that would evolve into the Devourer of Time.
Filled with the hatred and sadness of Lavos, half of Schala's mind became set on destroying all of existence.
Yet at the same time, the other half of her mind desired to save the universe and to be rescued herself.
As Schala fell through the time gate in this condition, she heard your crying echoing through time...
The true beginning was on the occasion of the collapse of the kingdom of ancient times, when from the dimensional vortex, fallen Princess Sara heard your crying voice.
That is when her story and yours began to intertwine...
It is also when the past and the future began to intersect, and when the world became divided into two...
Certainly at that moment, the story's thread began to be spun. The past and the future intersected, and the world was divided into two parts.
Led by the pitiful crying the young Serge made as the panther demon's poison took hold of him...
Princess Schala traveled ten thousand years in time to try and make contact with this dimension!
Led by your crying voice as the panther demon's poison caused you to cry out during a nightmare, Sara-san, crossing over 10,000 years of time, risked contact with this dimension.
This caused a raging magnetic storm that resulted in FATE's system malfunction, which led Serge to the Frozen Flame.That caused a violent magnetic storm to arise, which, as a result, caused FATE's system failure, which led a very young you to the Frozen Flame.
Yes, Serge...
The sound of your crying touched the heart of Princess Schala...
Before the destructive mind-set could become dominant, she cloned herself and sent her copy into this dimension.
In spite of the risk of erasing herself from history, Sara-san was charmed by the crying voice of a very young you, and she produced herself's other self in this era.
Schala left her baby daughter-clone with her ancient pendant, possessing magical powers.She entrusted to that girl an ancient pendant with mysterious powers.
This was to safeguard her daughter-clone in life-and-death situations.
The pendant would rewind time a little, sending her daughter-clone into a safer point in the immediate past.
This was to safeguard the girl in life and death situations.
The pendant rewound the girl's time only a small amount, and sent her into the past.
That's right...
Kid is Schala's daughter-clone!
Yes, that girl was Kid.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:50:57 am »
Wow; looks like a chunk was added to the US...

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:54:22 pm »
Wow; looks like a chunk was added to the US...

They added? Heh, they usually remove dialog.

Nice job, shinja! That's really good!  :D

~Z