Author Topic: About the grandfather paradox  (Read 1398 times)

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
About the grandfather paradox
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:15:36 pm »
It has been many times said that it doesn't apply to time-travelers, and that the only controversial thing in CT is Marle's disappearance. Well, I have a theory that would  explain that as well... It is that the grandfather paradox, doesn't apply to those who have travelled to the End of Time, instead of all those who have time-travelled. I guess this would explain why it applied to Marle at the start of CT's story. What do you ppl think?

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: About the grandfather paradox
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 11:12:48 pm »
Quote from: Andrelvis
It has been many times said that it doesn't apply to time-travelers, and that the only controversial thing in CT is Marle's disappearance. Well, I have a theory that would  explain that as well... It is that the grandfather paradox, doesn't apply to those who have travelled to the End of Time, instead of all those who have time-travelled. I guess this would explain why it applied to Marle at the start of CT's story. What do you ppl think?

I'm not really seeing how the connection works, please explain your reasoning.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 12:30:08 am »
I guess the problem with that is Chaos Theory. Crono and Lucca's mere presence in 600 AD would cause effects on spacetime up through their present, which would inevitably affect them. Even miniscule effects would cause an infinite of the "new" Crono and Lucca affecting the present versions of themselves in yet another different way, causing the loop to repeat.

That may be hard to follow, but it basically means that you don't need to kill yourself for the Grandfather paradox to come into play.

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 12:35:59 am »
Hmm... but wouldn't the loop only happen if what they changed in the past disabled them from going to the past to change it?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 12:55:53 am »
If it simply prevents them from going back it'll actually be less of a paradox. The loop will simply alternate between them being there and not being there. On the other hand, if they change themselves slightly, these changes will go back in the next cycle and spawn other changes which will spawn other changes and on and on.