Author Topic: Suggestion about dead projects.  (Read 1743 times)

LavosFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Suggestion about dead projects.
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:34 pm »
Make a Board called "Mt. Woe - Dead Fan Projects" and make all the dead project boards into child boards. Its pretty depressing that the "death projects" section is the biggest one in the forum  :?.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion about dead projects.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »
Depressing, maybe... But I, personally, feel it serves a precedent that fan projects are not intended to be cakewalks and take dedicated and regular(this is key) effort in order to produce anything respectable. That said, depending on a given projects scope, it can also face a reasonable risk of a C&D(cease and desist) order as well. It all comes down to three things, in order of importance: effort, tact and skill. All in all, it's not meant to be discouraging, but rather an encouragement to stay dedicated and coordinated.

Oh, since I don't feel like posting in two topics, welcome to the compendium!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:15:52 am »
Well, yeah, that was the intended effect...but maybe it could even be accomplished with a smaller child board listing. I guess it'd clear up clutter. No one really posts in those dead forums, so the active Magus icon that comes with full boardship isn't totally needed...

I'll think about it.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:18:59 pm »
Maybe you should allow a general forum for Chrono related projects and when they start showing signs of life with screens and trials and such allow them their own forum. That way we don't have so many forums of projects that never even started beyond a general idea.

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:41 pm »
  Is all I have to say bout the last post.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
Maybe you should allow a general forum for Chrono related projects and when they start showing signs of life with screens and trials and such allow them their own forum. That way we don't have so many forums of projects that never even started beyond a general idea.

Kajar Labs.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:16:14 am »
That reminds me....no one contacted me to tell me my project was being moved to the ol' mountain. I may be busy, but I still plan to get to it eventually...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:15:55 am »
I just can't take it anymore. Barring the work of myself, jsondag2, and Chrono'99, no fan project ever given a forum has ever succeeded. I almost imagined setting up Compendium betting pools around how long it would take before a project would fail.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:45 am »
I just can't take it anymore. Barring the work of myself, jsondag2, and Chrono'99, no fan project ever given a forum has ever succeeded. I almost imagined setting up Compendium betting pools around how long it would take before a project would fail.

I think it's mostly because everyone is too ambitious and don't recognize how long it will take to complete something. They also try to take on a project with no where near enough help. After waiting for my fair share of CT fan projects it's really hard to not say the obvious when they first post. But it appears as if CT+ will be completed so that will be cool.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 12:41:02 am »
The fan projects kind of get lonely because not many people help.  If there's very few people working on it, it's bound to fail.  Or at least take ages to complete.  And since people don't like to help or "don't have the time", just goes down hill.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 02:27:56 am »

So then you are saying that you do not believe I'll ever finish it, hmm?

Well, as much as I'd like to prove you wrong.....whatever. I've recieved such little support from anyone but MYSELF on the little project, and now I'm hearing things like this....I'm pretty close to just saying screw it.  One person with real life issues going on can only do so much. I'll protest the burial of my project no further. *sighs*

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:48 am »
That's sort of the process that all fan projects go through, Azala...

1) Great/Good/Ok/Bad/Stupid idea->2) Little progress->3) Little support->4) Apathy->5) Dead project

Without Time & a Team (or possibly the A-Team), they don't usually get much more than a foot off the ground...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 05:37:49 pm »
Freaking Crimson Echoes only has only had these people doing a lot of work on it lately:

jsondag2
CyberSarkany
nightmare975
(maybe I'm forgetting someone else whose name goes here)

I'm not even going to put myself in that list because real life has stopped me from finishing the dialogue (and thus, 90% of the rest of the game besides finishing beautification touches, which would be fun to put on).

CE of course had advisors like Vehek, JLukas, etc. who also give general help in Kajar Laboratories, but jeez. It's impossible to get good help, and one of the reasons is the huge number of fan projects. If everyone does their own thing, everyone does it alone. The Aegis thing is an attempt to put a stop to that by having only one "official" Compendium fan project, but it hasn't produced anyone really in the springtime of youth yet...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »
Because we all have our own ideas and it's never appealing to others.  The only thing so far that's been getting hits is the "Schala Playable Mod" which itself isn't probably going to be that great.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »
I think the Aegis idea is great, but let me honest: for what I could tell it wasn't really put out there.  I doubt many people are even aware of the concept.  It was mentioned a few times but it wasn't really put out there in the spotlight.  Personally, I think it's what we need.  That way a large creative force can accomplish what smaller separatist groups cannot: create an in-depth Chronoverse project.

It pretty much needs to have its own main page in the top links section, and there needs to be a showcase entry on the front page to really put it out there and into the spotlight.  With additional advertising it could actually come into fruition - or at least more than what we have now.