Author Topic: Medina  (Read 1440 times)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Medina
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »
Alright I think this is the right section.

While reading through my history book I came across a rather interesting paragraph that reminded me of Chrono trigger.

Muhammad left Mecca in 622 and fled northward to yathrib (later renamed Medina, "City of the Prophet")

I found this very interesting, with the Medina in Chrono trigger and how they worshipped Magus, who portrayed himself as a Prophet when returning to zeal. . .

Just thought it was neat.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Medina
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »
Quote from: Chrono Encyclopedia
(Medina) Name Origin

Medina is the home of the religion of Islam. The founder, Muhammed, took his followers to Medina, where he became leader of the city and was known as the Prophet -- the title also given to Magus as he revists Zeal in the Keystone Timelines, and also his status over the Mystics.

Just because you're not the first, doesn't make it any less important...but look! 'revisits' needs to be spelled right! >_>

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:33:38 pm »
Lol I should read the chrono encyclopedia.

I'm curious was it still called Medina in the Japanese version or did the english translation name it Medina?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:31:05 pm »
I wondered that too, but there wasn't a Japanese name entry, so I assume that it's the same...Or else it didn't have a name, or had something generic like "Mystic Village"...idk...I forget what the retranslation has it as...I think it's Medina though...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:48 pm »
Yeah, I believe it was Mystic Village, but I'm not 100% sure. I always found that name choice particularly interesting as well--Woolsey slipped a handful of other religious names (well, only Melchior and co. are coming to mind), so I wouldn't be too surprised if he chose to rename the Mystic Village. I guess I'll have to play through the re-translation and see what it's called.

But it's definitely an interesting choice. I'd assume it's to draw a contrast to the wholesomeness of the humans and the sort of enigmatic nature of the Mystics. Islam and some of its founders were subject to extreme scrutiny, misunderstanding, and ridicule, to some extent. You see a similar outlook towards Mystics.

Maybe I'm just assuming too much, it could have been chosen because it sounds pretty and foreign.