Author Topic: Banks  (Read 1153 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Banks
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »
You both are just sad, sad, people right now. Arguing on the internet over how bad the other is are at arguing, whether you admit it or not. :D

On the brighter side AIGs old commercials are so much better now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VvGW98D3XA

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:36 pm »
You both are just sad, sad, people right now.

Oh, come on. There's substance in this. At another forum, the argument would have been about whether Cloud is gay or the best way to screw with Myspace accounts.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:14:02 pm »
There was substance yes, it petered out around here though. It was a scores better then then the "LOLZ!!!1!1 Mudkipz" you here in other places but its still in the same grouping. Keep going if you must but unlike the many other threads we have about religion, military, etc. this is on is obviously turn personal.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:44 pm »
http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/03/news/economy/house_friday_bailout/index.htm?postversion=2008100309

Only delaying the inevitable.  Will not work as planned or save the economy, I believe.  It only preserves the faulty system that got them there in the first place.  Major reconstructive surgery is needed, not a handful of band aids. 

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 04:39:13 pm »
Ah, but if people think it will save the economy, then it will.

People don't think that, but if they did...

The focus has been on banks that gave out risky loans. It is curious that more attention hasn't been given to people who took such loans. Maybe we should make basic economic and finance classes a core component of our public education system.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »
My business education omitted these three things, and probably will continue to omit them all the way through my Master's degree:

• Human greed. Oh, economic models work! But wait, what if hedge funds come in? Nay, antitrust and tariffs are the work of the devil; let us deregulate completely and bend the knee to a plutocracy!
  • How to fail or withdraw from enterprise. We can hire people, raise finances, expand market share, develop new strategies, etc. but good lord, if we fail, it's every man for himself! Time to take all we can get and run!
  • Finite resources. The world's supply of resources is inexhaustible! Let brutal competition determine profit; a corporation's first duty is to the shareholders, not the goddamn earth!

And yet, education lacking these is precisely what's churning out the future white-collar criminals of tomorrow. Oh, joy. What I would give for Theodore Roosevelt to come back from the dead and eviscerate Wall Street.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 05:38:43 pm »
Maybe we should make basic economic and finance classes a core component of our public education system.

I second that.  Economics was barely grazed in my senior year at high school...and I didn't have a finance course until mid way through University.  If anything, show the kids of today everyone remotely interested in mortgaging a house the couple formula regarding mortgages and the interest involved, I am sure that would make many of them think twice of the "necessity" of having a house.  But then again, having a house is a big part of that "American Dream" that is so revered.  Some Most are not cut out for owning the kind of house they want, if any at all, not to mention 2 cars, kids etc.  Maybe that white picket fence is affordable...

An educational course or two on what happens and what to do if your business fails...sounds like it should be mandatory for all us business students...

There are a couple environmentally friendly degree/diploma things popping up.  One at the grade 7-12 level at the University of Guelph in Ontario...and I just read about one somewhere in, I think Seattle.  I can't recall either of these institutions' names, but maybe awareness of our impact on the Earth will keep snowballing and it will cease to be omitted.  Here's to hoping anyway.

A corporation would patent the Earth if it could.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 06:41:29 pm »
Oh, joy. What I would give for Theodore Roosevelt to come back from the dead and eviscerate Wall Street.

Bully. The United States really could benefit from an encore of the Trust Buster (song starts at 0:50)

I can't recall either of these institutions' names, but maybe awareness of our impact on the Earth will keep snowballing and it will cease to be omitted.

It is was a degree, then probably University of Washington (not sure of the other). It is a good institution in many regards and I would expect them to have a program like that. Indeed, I suspect you could find those sorts of programs in a good number of Universities up and down the West Coast of the United States.

Heck, just a basic "good citizenship" class in Elementary-through-High-School would probably be incredibly useful. Teach basics like economics, finances, environmentalism, logic and reasoning, in-depth studies of politics and the legal codes of the nation and world, etc. There is just so much that people need to know that falls outside the realms of Math, History, Science, English, and P.E.

But then again, having a house is a big part of that "American Dream" that is so revered.  Some Most are not cut out for owning the kind of house they want, if any at all, not to mention 2 cars, kids etc.

Well, to be fair, it isn't just "houses" that people can't afford. Condos, townhomes, even apartments can all be well outside of a person's price range. I'd say that desiring to own a house isn't the bad thing, it is desiring to own things outside of one's price range. Insofar as such a desire might motivate people into working to make those things inside their price range, it is good. But people are lazy and seldom desire to do the work.

Of course, how we Americans arrange our houses is itself idiotic, making a bad thing worse. Sure, it is nice to own your own house, but when you have to spend 30 minutes driving by nothing but other houses, just to get to the nearest store, things get a little creepy and Twilight-Zone-y.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
Look at the economic setup in France.  I am completely convinced they have things figured out (or at least more advantageous) - when compared to the US economic model.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42:11 am »
Look at the economic setup in France.  I am completely convinced they have things figured out (or at least more advantageous) - when compared to the US economic model.

Nail on the head.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 12:44:32 pm »
Yet France's politics seem to have been greatly influenced over the last 10ish years by calls for economic reform. They don't seem to understand that they have things figured out. Though, if the other elements of their economy require a persistently high unemployement rate, it may well be worth it.