Poll

If you had to eliminate a single partner from your party who would it be?

Crono
2 (3.8%)
Marle
12 (22.6%)
Lucca
7 (13.2%)
Frog
4 (7.5%)
Robo
5 (9.4%)
Ayla
14 (26.4%)
Magus
9 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: If you had to...  (Read 11763 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: If you had to...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »
Flare is never useless...it's only behind Luminaire in Magical power.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 07:19:57 pm »
Lucca?  Useless?  I don't think so.  Her magic power is one of the best, give her the gold stud, and Flare away. 

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:13:23 pm »
I said she's useless after you get Magus. She's a good black mage up until then, but Magus outclasses her in both physical and magical power, I'm pretty sure. (Dark Matter is stronger than Luminaire, for example) You only get Magus late in the game, though, so it's pretty much a trade off. Like I said, going off story alone, I'd dump Ayla without a second thought, but...

And of course, I'd prefer not to kill any of them at all in the first place...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »
Just feel like saying, I've tested it before, Luminare is the strongest attack in the game, not Dark Matter. Not including physical attacks of course.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »
Strongest attack in the game: Crono, maxed out, Rainbow specs, Rainbow sword, attacking with Confuse.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:46 pm »
Strongest attack in the game: Crono, maxed out, Rainbow specs, Rainbow sword, attacking with Confuse.

True, but is only against one enemy. But it deals mor damage than Luminaire.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:49:35 pm »
Luminaire deals more damage? You sure? At level ~50, Dark Matter was dealing about 1800 damage, Luminaire about 1700... Of course, Magus has higher stats at that point. I didn't get to level 99 and maxed out stats.

And yeah, with the damage cap, multi-hit attacks can do more damage. Confuse does pretty low damage per hit for me, (~550) but that's at level 50... At level 99 it likely tops Luminaire far more noticeably. The multi-target vs. one target thing isn't really much of an issue, though, since aren't you normally concentrating on one foe at a time anyway...? (Even with the Lavos fight, the right bit is the one you want to focus on...)

Edit: Whoops, confused DM with Luminaire once. >.<
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:20:16 pm by Chocobo_Fan »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 03:57:13 am »
Luminaire>Flare>Shock>Dark Matter

I didn't even know there were people who didn't know this.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 04:45:18 am »
Did anyone else notice that Robo Tackle is really useful throughout the entire game? It's what took out the Right Lavos Bit for me, only had to do it like, 5 times.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 11:48:09 pm »
None of them they are a very special group and everyone is super important and useful at various times, and the game isn't about having one super-powerful person do everything, it's teamwork ;_;

As for the "Marle dying would drive the plot"... Isn't Marle the one that moves the plot along anyway?

But probably Marle, since she's a Mary Sue.
The hell do you mean by that?

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:23 pm »
She's a "Perfect Character". I really don't see Marle as being too MS-is, but I can see where Pyt is coming from.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:12 am »
That's more a product of the times the game was made, isn't it? Most of the cast is Mary Sue by certain terms

[edit]Reading up on it more, Marle does seem very much a Mary-Sue like character...

But being a character in constant search of a true identity, deeper personality, and reason for being, being a Sue is her true tragic flaw! AHAHAHA!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:29:53 am by maggiekarp »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 02:02:38 am »
The only characters I ever used regularly were Lucca, Frog, Crono, and Magus. Marle and Ayla and Robo were rarely in my chosen parties. I liked Lucca in part for her genious character, and in part for her sightscope, so she became a natural addition. Likewise I liked the knight Frog, cliche as he is, more than the cliche princess (what am I saying? They're all cliche... so I guess it comes down to chosing one's favourite cliches!) As time went on, these three were my most powerful. They got their triple tech together. At that point, reverting to the others would have meant a serious decrease in my party's power, so I kept with them.

Until Janus arrived. And yes, I call him Janus. I insist entirely that Magus is not his name, merely a title, which by the Mystics was used as a name proper for lack of anything else. This man casts magic better than us... he is THE Magician, so that's what we'll call him. The Magus. But properly speaking, Janus is not only his true name, but far cooler. It has that old Roman air, and cements him as the second most important character in the series, next to his sister: is is the beginning and the end, and the changes of the story revolve around the fortunes of his family. Not to mention, as Kato said, his is the 'heroic' character. He is, in fact, the most Classical of the heroes of the story. For him to die would be like killing Odysseus at the Cyclops.

And let me add a few things on him. Janus is not dark, per say. He is melancholy, contemplatitive, and sharp, but he is not a dark character, per say. He has not real trace of villainy about him, but he does what must be done. He is not someone worried about popularity, and never cares to have fun times. And here is one thing I find funny about people who think to identify with him... most of the time it's teenagers who identify with him purely from the perspective of being misunderstood or outcast. But these are not the most important aspects of his character. Indeed, I would say his high maturity, ability, and also his incredibly seriousness (in addition self-seriousness), make him who he is. Ironically, these are character traits most young boys playing the game would entirely lack. Very few these days consider being self-serious a virtue, and for all that they may be misunderstood, are typically goofy and outgoing, even if just to mask insecurity. Janus, on the other hand, has not a whit of insecurity, and if he laughs, it's bitter laughs, or derisive ones... but never quite comic. He is gloomy unlike any teenager, but rather has all the melancholy of a scholar (which, indeed, he is!) Just had to say those things about Janus. They ran through my head the other day. I think he's amongst the most mis-appropriated character in video games. So many people consider themselves 'like' him just because it's fashionable to be 'dark'... but bloody rot, unless someone is acting like a fourty year old with a cynical edge, they do not share much in common with him.

Anyway, he's not to die, either. He cannot die. He is, I would argue, the most important hero to the saga.

So for all that, I voted Ayla for the death.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:34 am »
Not to mention, as Kato said, his is the 'heroic' character. He is, in fact, the most Classical of the heroes of the story. For him to die would be like killing Odysseus at the Cyclops.

I think that there is a strong case to be made that Janus is the hero of Chrono Trigger, and the others simply stumble into his story, even if Magus was initially killed by Poly...by Lavos.

He is not someone worried about popularity, and never cares to have fun times.

This characterization is directly contradicted by the game:

OZZIE: How about it, Magus?
   Can't you give him a more fitting
   form?

Magus: All right, why not?
   There's always time for a little fun.

While I grant that he's not interested in being a popular figure (although he certainly doesn't seem to mind), we have a clear example of where he does something for fun.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33:05 am »
Good point. I stand corrected, in part. However, I might argue that sort of fun is rather a bit of cruel humour, a cynical mark, as is instilled by his upbringing. At any rate, however, I suppose my statements were too strong in light of that.