Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192695 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2265 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
They have Bravely Default: Flying Fairy coming out on the 3DS and this game alone makes me want a 3DS. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and have me completely entranced. I wish the name was a little less wacko, but this game is one of my most-wanted games right now. This one trailer alone doesn't do it justice.

[youtube]zgcpkFB2Qjo[/youtube]

Is this game coming out in the US?  I can't imagine the name would survive the crossing.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:51 pm »
I can't imagine the name would survive the crossing.

If it doesn't, they'll lose my interest. From my experience the best RPGs lately are the ones that have nothing to do with their release title at all. I miss the days when JRPGs were allowed to have random words as titles.

I've been pretty open minded most of my life, but I've recently had it beaten into me that you CAN judge a game by its title...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:03 am »
If the name alone is a deal-breaker, then I pity you. :)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2268 on: July 12, 2012, 02:48:10 am »
Is there a trailer that shows gameplay? The trend to having all cutscene/branding trailers is immensely frustrating; they don't show me anything useful.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2269 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:18 am »
[youtube]e3Y6WY9NsqU[/youtube]

Waaaaah....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:07:34 pm by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »
There are plenty of gameplay trailers out there. Combat is traditional turn-based FF-style.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 12, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »
[youtube]2hF1c1XHzk[/youtube]

Waaaaah....

What, never heard of the game before? :lol:

It's one I'm looking forward to once I get a 3DS... whenever that day is... :roll:

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2272 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »
What, never heard of the game before? :lol:

xD When as a teenager / kid, I always imagined that the original Pokemon (anime, not games) were bland. The story had POTENTIAL, and could be taken a step further (yes, I was a DBZ / FF7 / Ninja anime fanatic back then). So I began writing fan-fictions of Pokemon-in-the-future, with Pikachu wearing Bolt-suits that enabled him to travel at lightning speed, and Blaziken wearing claws akin to those of Wolverine. And the trainers? They weren't just dreaming of being a Pokemon Master, hell no! They were working for a anti-terrorism unit to become the BEST of the warriors that can protect the city of Hoenn tactically (yes, I was also a G.I.Joe fanatic). I even made a not-really-working private mod of Pokemon Emerald where the protagonist actually works for Team Magma, with a plot to take over Hoenn and raise an army of Dark Pokemon! (Yes, I'm also a criminal-mastermind literature fanatic.)

As I grew up, I began imagining that I'm probably expecting too much; after all, CT-style (or more) action in children's games? I eventually lost interest in Pokemon, but.... THIS GAME.... is like a dream come true!

Too bad I'm not a kid anymore. But hell, when I buy that game (and the console) I'll schedule a specific day in a week as "Tushant Transforming Back Into A Kid" Day, thus breaking my 4 years old Gaming Hiatus (I haven't played a single game in those years). WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T BE A KID FOR ONCE, HUH!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:50:50 pm by tushantin »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:18 am »
Well, I know Pokémon will never stop to be a series mainly aimed for kids, but lately their stuff seem to be taking quite the step-up. The latest games do have stuff happening that are quite incredible to see considering the series. I won't speak much due to spoilers and I forgot what text command was it to hide it behind a black surface, but they certainly know how to deliver stuff like that.

Now, as for Pokémon Conquest, well, as I mention before, it's a game I'd very much like to play. And not only because it's a crossover of two things I like. The Sengoku period has been something of my interest lately, partly thanks to Samurai Warriors, which is where the character designs are taken from, despite the crossover being with Nobunaga's Amibiton, go figure. :lol:

Though curiously, sale reports in Japan stated that it was actually adults and older teenagers who made the bulk of the initial sales. I find it a bit amusing, heh.

I wouldn't mind seeing this spin-off to become it's own sub-series. Though with the plot and setting, using the Sengoku period again may prove hard to do. On the other hand, they wouldn't need to be connected by plot, and since this is basically the people of the Sengoku period in a fictional setting, they can get away with is and still have space to expand upon the potential, with a new plot and stuff. Or heck, actually make a game to happen in actual Japan with it's story.

And also, they have other sources to make a game with. Like one based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period, and then pull a Warriors Orichi.

Hmm, the possibilities...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:24:05 am by Acacia Sgt »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 21, 2012, 04:26:09 pm »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but rumor is that Versus XIII has been cancelled.

http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

EDIT: Whoops, turns out the rumor is false!

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:42:40 pm by Kodokami »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:09 pm »
I'll believe the game hasn't been cancelled as soon as I see another trailer or some examples of gameplay.  The chances of the game being (or already been) cancelled increase with every passing month that we hear nothing except promises.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but rumor is that Versus XIII has been cancelled.

http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

EDIT: Whoops, turns out the rumor is false!

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/

Here's the thing, we haven't seen anything new since XIII's reviews and XIII-2's announcements. This is always thought of as "Oh they must not be making it." But after KH3D, Nomura said that was the last KH spinoff, for now, and that means he's free for VersusXIII. The reason they probably haven't announced anything was that they announced 13, and had no development done to it, so they are holing off information on Versus till they are close to finished with it or at least have something new to show.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 07, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
Confirmed: New Mana game in the works

http://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-trademarks-circle-of-mana-and-i-freak-out-234551.phtml

For the love of god, please let this be a sign that a new Chrono game could come into fruition.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
While I want to be encouraged by this news, odds are that the new Mana will be a portable exclusive and/or an iOS/Android title.  Hard for me to get excited without more info.