Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194643 times)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: April 15, 2012, 08:51:42 pm »
They never gave out the source, but there's a rumor of an undisclosed SE game with Nintendo characters. Better not be another hoops 3 on 3.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175607

SMRPG2? A Chrono game with Nintendo cameos?

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 15, 2012, 11:12:40 pm »
Oh, Victor Ireland... The first RPG I ever played was Chrono Trigger. The second was Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. You all have no idea how big of a soft spot for Working Designs I have! I am tempted to donate funds to this, which is something I have yet to do in the video game arena. I trust Ireland's video game interests (and intent) and can totally buy into his endeavors.

Here's hoping for more Lunar games from Game Arts and localizations from Ireland's friends! :)

I second the motion.  Working Designs turned out some awesome video-game scripts.  To this day their writing stands out as some of the best.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2237 on: April 18, 2012, 03:48:44 am »
If Doctor Who was an SNES game, THESE would be its soundtracks!
http://doctoroctoroc.com/16-bit-doctor-who-2011.php

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 18, 2012, 12:33:00 am »
Looks like business has been good for Square/Enix.  Net sales and income are up almost 12% for this past fiscal year.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/deus-ex-ffxiii-2-push-square-enix-to-profit-6376553

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 19, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »
Did I ever mention The Banner Saga here yet?

[youtube]YupzBYxsgow[/youtube]

I'm pretty stoked.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
Looks like Ralph Bakshi... whom I love...

I am digging it! Thanks for sharing, Faust!

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 06, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 06, 2012, 10:54:17 pm »
so I don't play games anymore, haven't in a few years. no time. so what I've started doing is to watch playthroughs of games I've never gotten the chance to play or even ones I've played a thousand times. finished FFV, and I'm currently watching vi. hard to find decent quality ones without some annoying jackbag on his mic. But it lets me skip random encounters quickly and focus on story and music, which is what I always liked about rpgs, never the gameplay. There were quite a few games I never beat simply because I got to hassled by the gameplay even though I loved everything else. 

Think I played to the phantom train on ffvi, right now with watching through it I just met up with Rehm and Strago or whatever. I must say, Ceres/Celes' tale is a rather tragic and sad one, that goddamn theme from uematsu has had me in tears all day! why is it that the simplest melodies are the best? very rarely do I every remember a single note from a piece of music unless I've heard the piece countless times, but celes theme I think I memorized within the first listen!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:10 pm »
So guys, any thoughts on this year's E3?

Quite personally, almost nothing caught my attention. Probably just KH3D and Paper Mario, although from the former I've seen much already and there wasn't much new revealed today anyway.

But if there's one thing I do liked above all... OMG Fire Emblem Awakening will have a NA release! :shock: :o :franky

Now I must get a 3DS pronto!

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:40 am »
yea its the year before the consoles that are 'serious' are revealed, so it's just same old same old.  not much left for this gen, a shame the super mario wasn't ready though. I doubt the wii u take the world by storm comparable to it's predecessor however, then again the original seemed gimmicky and outdated to me back then. nother year, nother lack of chrono. this time around nothing xeno wise either. always next year.

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 09, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
just realized something with ff6, a treasure hunter named 'locke'. hah!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 10, 2012, 11:37:18 pm »
It's amazing how uncaring I am towards e3 and video games these days. Maybe it's my tastes moving elsewhere, but I was not impressed at all by this year's e3. It seems like every year I care less and less for the concepts... Another Gears of War, another Halo, another Metal Gear Solid, another ladeefreakingdah. There's very little in the video game realm to keep me engaged.

Even Square, who I once loved, has become a massive disappointment on so many levels. I honestly couldn't tell you the last Squareenix game that really excited me. FFXII was the last decent game they've done, and that was six years ago. FFversusXIII could be interesting, but 5-6 years in development is simply too long. I'll care about it if/when it finally gets released.

Honestly, the last game that has intrigued me was Xenoblade Chronicles. I've been playing it for 25 hours and I've had it since the day it came out. That's how little I play video games these days! Between that and Skyrim, there's been little in the video game world to keep me caring.

The innovation is gone. Now it's all bells and whistles (graphics) and there's very little charm. The charm that's left is primarily relegated to the indie game market. Alas!

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »
same here, as I've said before I no longer play games. While I admire the gfx, watching walkthroughs on youtube allows me to get just the story and music, which is all I ever cared about. I remember gamesharking like every ps1 rpg ever (including all the FF re-releases and CT) from not wanting to play random encounters.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:12 am »
Even Square, who I once loved, has become a massive disappointment on so many levels. I honestly couldn't tell you the last Squareenix game that really excited me. FFXII was the last decent game they've done, and that was six years ago. FFversusXIII could be interesting, but 5-6 years in development is simply too long. I'll care about it if/when it finally gets released.

Here's another level of disappointment:  S/E CEO Wada says there will be no Final Fantasy 7 remake until they make a new game that surpasses FF 7 in sales.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/no-final-fantasy-vii-remake-until-square-enix-tops-original-6384331

How do we respond to such logic?  I'd like to think Wada's just stirring up fans to gauge the demand for a remake.  But I think he really believes what he says...  :(

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 27, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »

Here's another level of disappointment:  S/E CEO Wada says there will be no Final Fantasy 7 remake until they make a new game that surpasses FF 7 in sales.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/no-final-fantasy-vii-remake-until-square-enix-tops-original-6384331

How do we respond to such logic?  I'd like to think Wada's just stirring up fans to gauge the demand for a remake.  But I think he really believes what he says...  :(

Well Versus is pretty much so hyped that it will probably sell as much ...
I think FF13-2 was a horrid let down tbh, even with the DLC ending scenario.