Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192684 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2190 on: September 23, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
I got wind of a new game by a friend of mine called Radiant Historia. It has, from what I can tell, the time traveling/parallel universe system that Chronos Trigger and Cross had, plus the human/beastman duality and sand motif that Sands of Destruction had. I searched the archives here and found that Jutty was playing it. So, based on what you played, Jutty, would you recommend it to me, someone who's loved Chrono and Sands of Destruction?

As someone who's played all three, I would recommend Radiant Historia. The story is well-paced and thought out, Shimomura's music is wonderful, and you'll become deeply attached to all the characters. The time mechanic is established nicely as well. The one thing I had a real problem with was the battle system. It is significantly better than Sands of Destruction's, but it still feels underdeveloped, especially as you progress through the story. Regardless, Radiant Historia is a game that is staying in my collection.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:24 pm »
http://www.destructoid.com/nomura-hints-at-a-the-world-ends-with-you-sequel-211929.phtml

No. No. Nonononono. Nooooo. I don't want a sequel. The game is perfect as it is! Nomura, please stay away... :cry:

The cameo is cool, but... No.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 27, 2011, 11:08:01 pm »
No. No. Nonononono. Nooooo. I don't want a sequel. The game is perfect as it is! Nomura, please stay away... :cry:

You never know; it could end up being The Empire Strikes Back to TWEWY's A New Hope.  :wink:

------------------

Edit: On an unrelated note -

Quote from: @tripehound on Twitter
Those with DSi / 3DS who don't download the FREE Anniversary Edition of Zelda: 4 Swords fail the interwebs, gaming, and geekdom in general.

It has single player functionality. I can finally get beyond the bosses! Woo!  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:41:09 pm by tripehound »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 24, 2011, 04:48:28 am »
D and I been playing through Alundra and wow, that is one MESSED-UP game.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »
How are you guys liking it so far? I loved, loved, loved that game, in the design sense at least. The only way it could have been better would have been if Lady Gaga made an appearance in Alundra's dream walks!

Ha, I just found out the guy who's doing the artwork for this upcoming iOS/Android game is a Chrono fan. Badass!

[youtube]Q_t6kezU3cs[/youtube]

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2195 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »
Holly Sheep! Pant-Hainded Sprites!  :o

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 25, 2011, 04:57:59 pm »
D and I been playing through Alundra and wow, that is one MESSED-UP game.

Hi. I R confuzzled.

Messed up as in how, exactly? Like End of Evangelion messed up? :?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »
How are you guys liking it so far? I loved, loved, loved that game, in the design sense at least. The only way it could have been better would have been if Lady Gaga made an appearance in Alundra's dream walks!

We love it.  D played it a long time ago back when he owned the original PS.  The music leaves much to be desired (or perhaps I am just spoiled on Mitsuda), but the plotline is deep and intriguing and I love how dark it is.  It's refreshing to play an adventure game that doesn't have an overall cheerful, "everything will be okay" tone.  Although man, I was SO upset when Jess died.  ='(  I could do without all of those godawful iceblock-pushing puzzles though.  >_<

Hi. I R confuzzled.

Messed up as in how, exactly? Like End of Evangelion messed up? :?

I've never seen End of Evangelion, so I don't know what your frame of reference is.  The game is messed-up because it's really quite depressing and dark and has some pretty disturbing scenes--something I definitely didn't expect.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #2198 on: November 02, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
Owlboy
http://www.roflgames.com/DPadWebsite/www/index.htm
I just recently stumbled upon this amazing game, thought I'd share it.
It's still in development but there's a free demo for download, and it is pretty good,
the pixel art is also very amazing.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: November 10, 2011, 02:59:42 am »
Hah, I had to debate whether to put this here or the "Stuff You Love" thread. Today a game called Ravenmark releases for iOS, and boy is it awesome. It's great to see a developer who clearly respects the power of a well fleshed-out, linear narrative in a videogame -- I haven't had this feeling since some of the Squaresoft greats of the 1990s. One of the characters is even an inspiring, awesome old dude. What the heck's not to love here!?

Their musician lists Mitsuda among his influences, and I can only wonder where the writers' inspiration for the term "Earthbound" came from, hmm...

[youtube]BVqWiMP1W_g[/youtube]

[youtube]rXnu5tVaSwQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:02:06 am by FaustWolf »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 10, 2011, 10:31:23 am »

Their musician lists Mitsuda among his influences, and I can only wonder where the writers' inspiration for the term "Earthbound" came from, hmm...

Probably from that super nintendo game, Earthbound!
 :lol:

I'm sorry. Couldn't help myself.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 12, 2011, 12:38:58 am »
Wow! Here's a cool technology:

[youtube]Jd3-eiid-Uw[/youtube]

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 17, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »
Does anyone have information on the game "The Seventh Seal: Resurrection of the Dark Lords" (it's the game that Mitsuda's "Sailing to the World" album was composed for)? It's a Taiwanese PC game, aaand that's about all I know. I did find this youtube video of a track in the game, also composed by Mitsuda, that was left off the album. Judging by the video creator's comments, there may have been multiple artists composing the music for the game.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 17, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »
Damn Kodo, that's a nice find there! If you check around 9:31 of this video you can see a screenshot at least.

Gonna check into this some more. The Taiwanese PC games market has been pretty insulated from what I can tell, but it produced some truly fantastic games! It's an absolute shame that no translation companies are picking them up, especially with all these re-releases. If we can get the game's title in Traditional Chinese, there might be a wealth of knowledge sitting out there. Our first clue is that Mitsuda seems to be called "光田康典" in Chinese, according to the video title.

EDIT:
Here's some more info to go on: 2002 第七封印 The Seventh Seal(作曲,编曲). I wonder if utunnels might know anything about it?

EDIT: Oh cool, here's some demo footage.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTk2NDQ1NjE2.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:11:16 pm by FaustWolf »