Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 195235 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2160 on: August 08, 2011, 04:49:11 pm »
Here's an interesting game which could be in the category of "Donationware".
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/08/dark-seek-kickstarter-funds/

Bu why Donationware, you say? Well, somehow the Ubuntu platform introduces complex philosophies to the users and developers, and there's this thing called "humble licence" which some game-makers have developed. Works in two ways: Either the developers reward their donors with awesome stuff before the game is released (since the game will be free anyway), or the consumers can simply buy the game with whatever amount they want to pay. While this method isn't efficient for corporate money-making schemes, it does support independent developers and artists, thus encouraging a community-driven production.

Anywhos, back to the game: Apparently it's no ordinary game. From the very words of the indie studio...

"…we designed a world in which imagination could take over where your childhood left off – a world in which monsters exist, lurking within the shadows, threatening to snatch you up the moment you leave the safety and comfort of the light."

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 16, 2011, 03:14:56 am »
Check out what Hideo Kojima tweeted.
https://twitter.com/#!/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/103269075823755264
Found this at Omori-kun's desk. What's this?

3DS purchase justified! :)

If he is just trolling I will be crushed.

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:42 am »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 17, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1188346p1.html

Wait, what? A new version of the Wii that removes compatibility with anything NGC-related? Uh... :?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: August 17, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »
http://www.cubed3.com/news/15959

This got my hopes up... A new game with the title Chronoblade. From what I've read, it's a Castlevania-esq style game with time manipulation. Could be interesting nonetheless; however, I don't plan on buying a 3DS, so...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:37:49 pm by Kodokami »

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: August 21, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
I saw Chronoblade and got excited too. At this point I honestly don't know what SE is doing anymore. I wish they would just take my damn money already and give me another Chrono entry.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2166 on: August 21, 2011, 05:18:38 pm »
So how many of you are into Film-Noir type games? Because THIS one is freakin amazing!

[youtube]r-feglzyboY[/youtube]

It's such an amazing piece of art that I don't need words to describe it for you, except, "Holy shit, I want this!" :shock:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:03:20 pm by FaustWolf »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:10 am »
Haha! I've wanted to buy that, not only because it looks fantastic, but also because I scared my friend silly in making him play the demo! :twisted:

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »
It's been a while! Thought I might share something I found interesting...

Recently, a new trailer surfaced for Final Fantasy XIII-2 and there's still a hint of dimensional shifting. I pretty much want you to focus on the first little bit of the trailer, especially that meteor looking thing that looks like... well, I'll let you be the judge...

There may be spoilers to those of you who have not completed FFXIII.

[youtube]Kw4UuGlFBwc[/youtube]

Remind you of anything from a certain game?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:41:20 pm by Magus22 »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:15 pm »
Limbo is incredible! I have never, ever in my life seen a storyline expressed so well on a platformer. I HATE platformers - except Mario, for nostalgic reasons - and I played all the way through. The ending is really a disappointment, I think, but it goes further than most games do when it comes to trying to tie mechanics to storyline, which is crucial for game narratives going forward.

The atmosphere and minimalism are just so beautifully expressed; their illustrations people must be phenomenally talented.

ALSO THE NEW FALLOUT NEW VEGAS DLC IS JUST AWESOME.

[youtube]XwjCTjdDyvw[/youtube]

There is SCIENCE!!! And a lot of very ridiculous Mad Scientists with great dialogue. So much better than the last one.

And lastly, slightly unrelated: I think I'm going to GDC Online! You can go for free if you volunteer. I'm really stoked about the Game Narrative summit. :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:09:02 pm by Syna »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:58 am »
Any Persona fan here...?

http://kalfisquine.com/blog/?p=1477

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: September 01, 2011, 05:22:14 am »
Yeah, I consider myself a Persona fan.  Unfortunately it's hard to get excited about this new fighter, as the odds of it coming to the US are pretty small.  Still, I can't help but fantasize about Persona 1 and 2 characters getting involved in the ruckus, too.

On a related point, Gamespot just published their review of Persona 2: Innocent Sin for the PSP.  It wasn't pretty.  I felt like I had to blast them for it, too, since their review of the PS1-era Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was an 8.5, and that was a pseudo-sequel to Innocent Sin using virtually the same gameplay and locales.  They were judging the game by 2011 standards.  Methinks they don't like ports.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/persona2tsumi/video/6331706/shin-megami-tensei-persona-2--innocent-sin-video-review

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: September 01, 2011, 10:30:42 pm »
Quote from: Syna
Limbo is incredible! I have never, ever in my life seen a storyline expressed so well on a platformer.
This is going to sound funny, but for those in the know, does Limbo actually have any words in it? I've become curious about the idea of expressing storyline without using dialogue lately, and I'm looking for examples where it's been done well. Cirque du Soleil's Ka does this pretty brilliantly, and then there are Piotyr Kamler's films (e.g., Chronopolis). But when it comes to videogames I keep having to go back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog series. I think I'll look into Limbo more after hearing this.

There may be limits to how deep a story can get when it must be told completely through actions and atmosphere rather than words. On the other hand, it should make the language barrier more permeable, pending the use of non-universal gestures and motifs and so forth.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:33:35 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2174 on: September 02, 2011, 02:35:34 am »
There may be limits to how deep a story can get when it must be told completely through actions and atmosphere rather than words. On the other hand, it should make the language barrier more permeable, pending the use of non-universal gestures and motifs and so forth.
Pictures speak a thousand words, mate.  :wink: It all depends on the cinematographer / concept artist. For one thing, I take inspiration from old-school FMV's such as FF7 and FF6; the opening and cutscenes may not have words in them, but they certainly told a lot!