Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194471 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2130 on: July 13, 2011, 07:01:04 pm »
[youtube]c-_yZvmzLOQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

HA. Yes.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:33 am »
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/25/anyone-want-a-remake-of-live-a-live-well-aside-from-the-games-creator/

Hmm, well, even if I haven't really heard much of this game, though it might be of interest posting this... if it hasn't already, doesn't seem to be new this article after all.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 15, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
Whooaaaa, this changes everything. I wonder if they'll do a 180 on Xenoblade too?

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 17, 2011, 01:07:39 am »
Here are two more related articles.  On the second the replies are just as informative as the article itself, so plan for a long read.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

http://altdevblogaday.com/2011/06/06/gamedev-we-need-to-aim-higher/

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 17, 2011, 04:00:22 am »
Interesting article.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-crucial-lessons-learned-by-watching-kids-play-video-games/

When my kids encounter a boss that requires grinding, they think the game is broken, or that they're just missing something. I've seen them spend up to two hours trying to kill a Deathclaw in Fallout: New Vegas because they don't consider the idea that they should come back when they're more powerful. It's there, so we should be able to kill it.

LMAO, but seriously grinding sometimes is for those who are less tactical.

If They Want to Read, They'll Buy a Fucking Book

Hmm, that is too bad. But yeah, there should be some workaround if you missed the text.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:31 am »
My conclusions from reading the "5 lessons" article: The author is a hardcore gamer. His kids are the type of casual gamers who (as adults) would play Farmville and Angry Birds, but would never buy a console left to themselves--they only play GTA because their father has it in the house. Two different audiences, with different interests that can't be easily satisfied by the same game.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2138 on: July 17, 2011, 05:28:25 pm »
My conclusions from reading the "5 lessons" article: The author is a hardcore gamer. His kids are the type of casual gamers who (as adults) would play Farmville and Angry Birds, but would never buy a console left to themselves--they only play GTA because their father has it in the house. Two different audiences, with different interests that can't be easily satisfied by the same game.
Yeah, but he/she also speaks for the majority. Okay, granted, we played RD (and sat through the monologues at the end of CC) mostly because we're a fan of literature, are fans of Chrono series and were curious, or at least we simply tolerated, but the majority of people, whether gamers or not, would only play what's instant fun.

I mean, think of it; when we say play we're usually looking for amusement. These days some people (if not all) would be satisfied playing on their Android/iPhones just to satisfy their boredom; and what's the point playing something when it actually gets you frustrated (like, Ragnarok Online)?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 17, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »
I play Angry Birds only when I don't have anything else to play. XD
But it is true few people enjoys reading a game instead of playing it, even it is a point and click style.

:?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2140 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:02 am »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 18, 2011, 01:41:15 pm »
The quote about grinding is fascinating. My littlest brother has a similar mentality. Games have gotten a lot easier since the days where AtmaWeapon kept kicking my ass, and it shows. He really believes he's entitled to destroy anything he encounters in the game with fairly minimal ease.

For my part I absolutely detest grinding; I would much rather spend the time tweaking my tactics on a very difficult boss battle, or solving a puzzle. My aim is really to feel like I've defeated a worthy opponent, or that I've done something very significant and epic, moreso than I've mowed someone over. The grinders I know tend to have a brain for micromanaging and want to be rewarded for their perseverance by feeling really badass.

I hate grinding so much that by the end of FF9, I only had the first level of Cure :o

There are players like me and then there's the grinders, and devs want to please us both, sometimes to the detriment of us all.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

I....I just.. don't believe that it happened...dammit.  :picardno

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 19, 2011, 05:33:17 am »
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

I....I just.. don't believe that it happened...dammit.  :picardno

Yeah, they're going bonkers over at gamespot.  Most disturbing about this is their refusal to give specifics on why it was cancelled.  They even said as much in the FAQ - "The reasons for the cancellation were outlined above."  Capcom's reputation is going to take a big hit from this.  The business mentality is also mystifying.  Failure to meet criteria?  What does that even mean?

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
Inafune left, was it really a surprise? I've been upset about this since then, now I'm over it. But I'm sure Capcom was really scared to announce that. They probably tried to find someone else to do it, but who else really could?