Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192808 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2085 on: May 23, 2011, 02:01:43 am »
I'd love to see something with graphics like those  :P But Zelda franchise is not as flexible as Mario franchise is. I think Zelda seems to have settled for the "realistic" and "toon" styles, I don't think Nintendo will introduce another new style anytime soon (Though, Skyward Sword looks like is going to start a new art style, so who knows...) Also, Paper Marios are "rpg" like Mario games, Zelda games are too much like rpgs already.

When I read paper Zelda, I inmediatly though something like that little video at the start of the Phantom hourglass  :)

[youtube]qKXZ_1AUvzc[/youtube]

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:27 am »
I loved the way Valkyria Chronicles looked. I didn't get all that far (Jane kept dying), but I still loved looking at it. Does anyone ever get anything else like that? Games you love to look at, but never got that far because they were too hard/too confusing?

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2087 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
Quote from: Bard_of_Time
Does anyone ever get anything else like that? Games you love to look at, but never got that far because they were too hard/too confusing?

This happens to me with Final Fantasy  :|

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »
Hello, temporarily back from a long hiatus.

I just came on to give a much-deserved videogame shout-out. In the recently posted picture of the RD cartidge, something caught my eye. To the immediate right of the BSX catridges are Dicing Knight Saga and Judgement Silversword. These are among the most rare of games for Bandai's Wonderswan, a Japan-only Handheld System. During Square's fallout with Nintendo, they made all their handheld games for the Wonderswan Color, the second illteration of the system. The original monochrome WS was created by the same man that invented the Gameboy. It was released after his death. Many series saw their start there. The Gunpey puzzle series had 3 games. The series itself is prothumusely named after the system's creator himself. The orignal version of Rivera: the Promised Land was also on here
Well, anyway these games are unique. They were made using a development tool called the Wonderwitch. They were the winners of a contest that made them officially published titles. They were among the last games for the WS's third and final model, the SwanCrystal. As such very few copies were made.

The WS finally fell in 2003 via the combination of the GBA's release and Square making ammends with Nintendo. At their peak, they held 8% of the Japanese handheld market, a feat not surpassed by a non-Nintendo handheld system until the PSP.

RIP Wonderswan 1999-2003

Best Japan only system ever.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:27 pm »
Oh yes, the Wonderswan. I still play with it. I'll admit I don't have that much games on it than other systems (just 6, and they're all the SRW ones), but still have fun with it.

In other news, looks like the 4th Layton game is really coming out of Japan.

http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/05/professor_layton_and_the_last_specter_coming_to_america

Such wonderful news, it reminds me of a puzzle... :lol:

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37:33 pm »
Recently I've been exploring old action games, because I consider to make my own.
Arcade games before 1986, somehow, tend to be unbeatable unless you have tons of coins, no matter how decent the graphics look, I can't say I like to play them.  I don't like action games that can't be beat without losing lives, after a good amount of time practising. Sadly, there are pretty many games like that. :(

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2091 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:45 pm »
[youtube]wIXUpSAseRY[/youtube]
 :P

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »
Oh wow, DO WANT! :shock:

Man, it's been becoming hard for me to decide what to get on my birthday... I'm stuck between this, a PSP, or importing some PS2 games (with Swap Magic of course). Might as well throw a coin! Nevermind the fact they're actually 3 choices. :lol:

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 31, 2011, 10:37:09 pm »
Looks better than the N64 version, but still they look really alike. XD

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2094 on: May 31, 2011, 11:47:01 pm »
I think Vestergaard did a nice comparison of the diferences  :lol:

ChronoMoogle

• Returners
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:36:10 am by ChronoMoogle »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 03, 2011, 04:38:38 pm »
I was recently tipped off to Project Zomboid. Seems like a really interesting idea, and I particularly like the X-com influences. It is great to see that game developers are still trying to come up with fresh ideas.

Also, it gets bonus points for reminding me of Zombo.com, the website where anything is possible.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:41:04 pm by Thought »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 06, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »
Ok, so the E3 has started today. Don't know much other than Halo 4 and Halo Anniversary or something being announced (and I'm seeing this from another forum so can't say for sure).

And anyone hoping for some kind of Chrono news here... start crossing fingers... :?

Update: I'll say, I was impressed with Nintendo line-up, and it has not even shown in it's entirety.

Just see for yourself:

http://press.nintendo.com/E32011/
Username: E32011
Password: nintendo
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:37:20 pm by Acacia Sgt »

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2098 on: June 07, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »
[youtube]a50sYUESGTY[/youtube]
 :shock:

[youtube]BrRau5fPtN4[/youtube]

The new villian, Demon Lord Ghirahim, gives me a little of a Magus vibe.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-zelda-skyward/715356

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:36:06 am by Licawolf »

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 09, 2011, 05:34:18 pm »
So who was completely disappointed with jrpgs being practically non existent at E3? I was wanting some Last Story and Xenoblade news.

Also what are the chances that CC could get a general rpg forum for rpgs outside of the Chrono franchise? I can't find a forum worthwhile. There are like a million devoted to FF series but I'm not really liking it so much anymore.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:40:43 pm by Jutty »