Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194497 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1920 on: January 18, 2011, 07:38:31 pm »
All trailers here from fan event
FFXIII-2 this year (JPN) on PS360
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOKJ5Cjq70

Versus XIII from Kingdom hearts team on PS3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A0AU1eNSXk

Type0 on PSP (2 UMDs) this summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC5P3Jxvtzg

Type-0 was originally Agito, if I remember correctly. It looks meh...

I must say, while Versus XIII looks beautiful, the gameplay looks rather boring.

Of all of these, I have to say XIII-2 got my attention the most. However, I do not like her new design. It is very... European... and... Bladestormish... but as long as Sazh Katzroy is in this game, I will be satisfied.

Funny... I had thought Tetsuya Nomura wanted Sazh as the main protagonist if a sequel was made... or maybe that was for Dissidia...

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:26 pm »
I am encouraged by the developers wanting to correct what many of us found lacking in the first game.  Apparently, many of the core problems had to do with the game-engine being a work-in-progress.  Now that engine is finished, and they are free to do what they want.

With the criticism surrounding XIII and the utter disaster that was XIV, this is make-or-break for Square/Enix and they know it.  Let's hope they don't hold anything back.  We need them to get this right so Chrono doesn't die.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:45 pm »
With the criticism surrounding XIII and the utter disaster that was XIV, this is make-or-break for Square/Enix and they know it.  Let's hope they don't hold anything back.  We need them to get this right so Chrono doesn't die.

Lennis I actually think that if 13-2 sucks Final Fantasy will die. And if Final Fantasy dies Chrono might either be sold to a new company that will do something with it OR SE might actually use it.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 19, 2011, 12:50:56 pm »
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression that Type-0, Versus, and XIII were all greatly related, such as through characters.

Versus has certainly caught my eye. It's visually the most original Final Fantasy game I've seen in a while. I also hear that a world map is being brought back, along with an airship to use. That's great, as hopefully the story won't be so linear. Guess I'll wait for more information though to see if the gameplay actually is boring.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: January 19, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »
So that's what it was, lack of unified vision. Pressure from the committee of leader-men to get the game out "on time" anyway. Why make obscure pointless deadlines if it works adversely on the quality of your product, and worse, why stick to them when you see what you're doing isn't getting finished on time?

I'll leave the subject alone now.

This is what I deal with every day of my life.

Game developers, games are like anything else: you get fast, cheap, or good. Pick two already!! :/

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: January 19, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »
The DLC era may even be an enormous bank heist.

I'm in the game industry, kinda, so I want to balance this out a bit by saying: thanks to Gamestop, used games are a strong market, and game companies tend to make some absurd percentage of their sales through preorders and immediate purchases. They need extra revenue. Believe me-- it's in the best interests of the gamers AND the developers for games to have more methods to bring in income than just those first sales. If they don't have those methods, publishers will ONLY invest in safe blockbusters.  

DLC can be done WELL. A lot of the DLC I buy is for games that were already massive in scope, and so I don't mind buying "extras." I have definitely bought DLC that was not worth my money, but I've also bought some truly phenomenal additions. The DLC presents a new medium for developers to work in; it's like a "short story" addition to the main game.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy used games, but nobody's forcing you to buy DLC, you know? Games are self-contained without it-- if they aren't, you have every right to complain, but I've seen no game with DLC that was necessary to continue forth the main story. It's all gravy. Sometimes delicious, delicious gravy.

Indeed, scaling-back graphics in exchange for content is a possible solution, but the gaming press won't look very kindly on it.  

It's absolutely true, but there's hope. Take Fallout New Vegas, a game whose merits mostly lie in its story and atmosphere and characters. That game was panned for being backward in terms of graphics and full of more bugs than an ant's nest, but it still made numerous top 20 lists, often with reviewers saying that the game was important in spite of its technical failings. That's progress, I hope!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:13:56 pm by Syna »

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: January 19, 2011, 04:22:17 pm »
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression that Type-0, Versus, and XIII were all greatly related, such as through characters.

Versus has certainly caught my eye. It's visually the most original Final Fantasy game I've seen in a while. I also hear that a world map is being brought back, along with an airship to use. That's great, as hopefully the story won't be so linear. Guess I'll wait for more information though to see if the gameplay actually is boring.

They said that all the 13s shared the same mythos, but seeing as they were announced without any mythos created that was a complete lie. I love the style of Versus, but the characters are uninteresting except the girl in white and the king and mage dude. I wish they would change the characters a bit. Also I like the command fighting, just wish they'd do a little more with it. And KH style fighting is old to me. Cuz they made like 5 KH games that were not Kingdom Hearts 3.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:55 am »
Just ordered Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for Nintendo DS on Amazon.

I really can't wait for this one!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: January 21, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »
Studio Archcraft did such a good job with it, even if the characters did block each other during battles. I thought it would be darker than it was, but maybe the lightheartedness will play better with most fans anyway. You might just get a Chrono nostalgia kick while playing it Mr Bekkler!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: January 22, 2011, 12:53:48 am »
Studio Archcraft did such a good job with it, even if the characters did block each other during battles. I thought it would be darker than it was, but maybe the lightheartedness will play better with most fans anyway. You might just get a Chrono nostalgia kick while playing it Mr Bekkler!

That's exactly what I'm hoping for! You deserve a thanks, I only know about the game because of you!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:56:15 am by Mr Bekkler »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:49 am »
I wanted to do some kind of kickass preview video for it, but never got the chance.  :( Since people are still buying it, maybe late is better than never.

Studio Archcraft kept up an interesting blog for awhile, but sadly it hasn't been updated since 2009:
http://studioarchcraft.com/blog/

A little morsel for the dreamer in all of us!

terrence16

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:43 am »
Do any of you  guys play 'warcraft'?

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »
I did, back when it first came out for PC... but then I'm showing my age there.  :shock:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: January 22, 2011, 03:05:54 pm »

I really enjoyed Warcraft II and Starcraft, but haven't gotten into the newer Blizzard stuff.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »
(woah lots has happened with the gaming talk ..pity I check this forum less and less due to school)

I actually had a fanboy moment when I found out about ff13-2 being real.

Alot of people hated the original, because it was too different than its predecesors , but its 2010 , its a new generation and games are obviously not gonna be aimed at the older fanbase .

I loved ff13 , and I'm already excited for its sequel. I've also recently completed Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded.

Despite it not using any new material it was still quite a fresh experience for me however, Im actually A bit annoyed that the game is using memory loss so many times during the whole series , it basically makes every game pointless if the events can't be remembered by the characters after it (note those weren't spoilers ...its something along those lines which happens)