Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192718 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1845 on: November 13, 2010, 11:29:32 am »
Please delete this post if it's inappropriate, but...

Super Mario Bros 3 REBOOT! XD
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/12/super-mario-bros-3-fan-remake-is-finished-mental/

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »
It's really awkward situation, I mean I like SMB series, but I can never play a game well enough -- they are just too hard for me. :x

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 13, 2010, 10:24:37 pm »
Holy cow, that's amazing. I take it it's a conversion of one of the Nintendo DS Mario Bros. games?

I think Nintendo's liable to let it slide given their hands-off attitude toward fan mods so far, but this will be interesting to follow.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1848 on: November 14, 2010, 12:17:09 am »
My observation is that Nintendo often tends to decide whether to act against fan projects on the basis of quality. That horrible Zelda fan-movie from a while back was shut down before it could be disseminated amongst the unsuspecting public; by contrast, There Will Be Brawl has gone completely untouched. NoA have even pretty much admitted to turning a blind eye to the Mother 3 fan-translation.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:50 am »
Has this been mentioned here yet?

http://sonicfanremix.com/

Two guys decided to do their own HD sonic. Some call it the "Real" Sonic 4.

Others claim it's actually more like Sonic 44 (EDIT: this was an attempt at a joke. I have no idea how many Sonic games there actually are, but it seems like 4 was kind of overlooking a ...few).

All semantics aside, the videos look beautiful and I haven't played but I HAVE downloaded the available demo and am about to czech eet owt mang.

Look here, Sonic 4 Official Screenshots:

And then compare with screens from this "Fan ReMix".

Where is the real talent? In the hands of people who love what they do and don't give a damn about money.  I hope they don't see the same fate as CE.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:53:04 am by Mr Bekkler »

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 14, 2010, 03:57:13 am »
Did a BRO-OP RUN of Kirby Super Star on SNES con un amigo yesterday night. Went from 0 percent to 100 percent in 4 or 5 hours.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 14, 2010, 06:08:52 am »
Mr. Bekkler, I had not been aware of that Sonic fangame. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. I just wanna know how those people afford food while they create something that magnanimous. Looks like it's from scratch too, though I'm not familiar with the post-Genesis Sonic games at all. Here's to hoping that team has a bright future in the industry.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 14, 2010, 07:50:53 am »
Mr. Bekkler, I had not been aware of that Sonic fangame. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. I just wanna know how those people afford food while they create something that magnanimous. Looks like it's from scratch too, though I'm not familiar with the post-Genesis Sonic games at all. Here's to hoping that team has a bright future in the industry.

From what I can gather, their team is just two people who are doing it for fun! I just ran across it on youtube and was blown away.

I think the graphics are from scratch, but I'm not sure about the level design.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:54:05 am by Mr Bekkler »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 14, 2010, 07:58:14 am »
LOL, I was not a fan of Sonic, but that's pure art. Impressive.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 14, 2010, 08:05:02 am »
Sonic was never my bag either, really. Nintendo>Sega (IMHO). I really want to see what the same guys could do with Donkey Kong Country.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »
Sonic was the game I grew up on (that, and Pokemon), so I think it's great that the fans are putting so much dedication into this. Unfortunately, the graphics are so beautiful that the demo caused my computer to crash. Ah well.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 25, 2010, 09:33:25 pm »
Oh snap, guys! If you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch 2G+, pick up Ash while it's free. Most well-written story I've seen in a videogame in awhile. While it contains tons of cliche, the writer(s) played with it purposely in a way that made it clear their aim was to get the old Dragon Quest style JRPG right.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:17:39 am by FaustWolf »

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 29, 2010, 09:56:15 pm »
Found Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney for DS the other day at a small gamestop in the sole shopping mall of a small Tea-Party controlled city in the middle of the Arizonan desert.

I've been looking for this game for 2 years for a cheap price and finally found it for 12 dollars.

I almost indulged and bought the Wiiware releases - but JUSTICE PREVAILED.

Also, I'm pissed that I missed the free release of Ash. It sounds awesome.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1858 on: November 30, 2010, 11:54:36 am »
Anyone else playing Golden Sun Dark Dawn?

Super Mario Bros 3 REBOOT! XD
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/12/super-mario-bros-3-fan-remake-is-finished-mental/

I played this last week and sadly it's kinda iffy. There's a lot of objects/items in SMB3 that aren't in NSMB, and as a result of that it comes off rather weird and feels really unfinished. If he imports/makes the stuff the game needs then it'll be good.

This isn't directed at you, but people will bitch endlessly about how 4 is a "rehash" and there's "nothing new" and it just takes everything from Sonic 2... then they go and defend a fangame that's a remake of 2. Fanremix does look really awesome though, but I'll continue to defend 4 as a decent game, albeit one that needs a lot of polishing. I've been reading that Sega have been asking fans where they went wrong so that Episode 2 can be improved, so I'm hopeful.

Look here, Sonic 4 Official Screenshots:
Where is the real talent? In the hands of people who love what they do and don't give a damn about money.  I hope they don't see the same fate as CE.

Fanremix is ridiculously gorgeous, I'll give you that. Sonic 4's graphics probably had to be dumbed down to allow for the Wii, but christ the 3D models look lifeless.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:39 pm »

This isn't directed at you, but people will bitch endlessly about how 4 is a "rehash" and there's "nothing new" and it just takes everything from Sonic 2... then they go and defend a fangame that's a remake of 2. Fanremix does look really awesome though, but I'll continue to defend 4 as a decent game, albeit one that needs a lot of polishing. I've been reading that Sega have been asking fans where they went wrong so that Episode 2 can be improved, so I'm hopeful.

Fanremix is ridiculously gorgeous, I'll give you that. Sonic 4's graphics probably had to be dumbed down to allow for the Wii, but christ the 3D models look lifeless.

Agreed for the most part. I'm not big on the Sonic 4 hate, in fact I can't say anything about the Real (no quotes) Sonic 4. I haven't played it. But I played the Remix demo and it was really fun, absolutely gorgeous, and the controls felt right. If it were for sale I'd buy it without thinking twice. I'd love a Sonic 4 demo, actually, so I could at least compare the two, gameplay-wise. I'm just not going to buy it solely because it's Sonic.

My main point was just that the fans who put the Remix together have done some AMAZING work for no money, without a big team, and out of love. It's inspiring.