Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 195045 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1770 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:33 am »
Any Dragon Quest fans here? I've been playing IX the past few weeks, and it has been enjoyable. However, after completion it appears to be just grind and quest, grind and quest. Which isn't bad for all players. My biggest complaints are not being able to edit my characters' appearances (with the exception of equipment) and lack of my favorite monsters (Unicorn, Great Drake, etc.).

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1771 on: July 29, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »
Now that I'm done collecting all the coins in New Super Mario Bros wii, I'm going to finally be moving on to Okami for the wii. There are some other wii games I want to play. This somewhat obscure game called "Little King's Story", and "Monster Hunter Tri". Oh and of course "Mario Galaxy 2".

I'm steadily running out of good DS games to play, which makes me annoyed that Tactics Ogre won't be on the DS. I guess I'll have to play the original another way. I've known about it for years and I'm really into tactics games. After I beat "Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia", I'm going to be kind of stuck looking for good games to play. I suppose I could start Heart Gold, but I really think I'm gunna wait till Pokemon Black and hope it won't be delayed.

Oh and fuck Zelda II. Hardest game ever. I hate that game so much!!

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1772 on: July 31, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »
A while ago I played and became utterly enchanted with Dragon Quest VIII, but I felt like the style of gameplay would be much better suited to a handheld. I recently bought Dragon Quest V (not IX - DQV is becoming more expensive by the day, but I have a feeling DQIX will remain at a pretty consistent price point for some time yet) and intend to start playing it soon. That, and Persona 3 Portable. After I'm done with SMT: Strange Journey, that is. And if I'm not playing Dissidia, and haven't yet started on GTA: Chinatown Wars and haven't gotten my hands on Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box. Yeah, I've got a lot of handheld games on my docket. I'm taking a trip at the end of the month.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 31, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »
I'm actually finishing up a Chrono Trigger DS playthrough. My Wii just got back in the mail today from being repaired, so I can finally continue Tales of Symphonia 2.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:42 am »
Any Dragon Quest fans here? I've been playing IX the past few weeks, and it has been enjoyable. However, after completion it appears to be just grind and quest, grind and quest. Which isn't bad for all players. My biggest complaints are not being able to edit my characters' appearances (with the exception of equipment) and lack of my favorite monsters (Unicorn, Great Drake, etc.).
I picked up IV awhile ago... I have a certain fondness for the series as the original on NES was the first RPG I played.  I dig the spruced up look, I like that they've kept so many of the old recurring characters (Slimes!) and am glad to still have some old-school level-grinding RPGs making the rounds.  But I have to say that I'm disappointed in the translations for the DS ports.  The accents and dialects, and some of the names ('Ragnar McRyan'?) just kill parts of it for me.  I'm sure the NES originals were nothing to brag about in terms of dialogue (been so long since I played them...) but the mock-medieval style was at least consistent.  Now it just varies between silliness and the occasional bad effort at being poetic.... I still cringe upon thinking of VII, with the line (paraphrasing slightly) "it appears that a black mass of depravity exists where Matilda's soul once stood." :picardno

It's just frustrating. One of those occasions where you think, "I could've done a better job than that!" with the writing.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 02, 2010, 03:03:22 am »
At least they're being consistent. Being able to maintain a theme across multiple entries in a series does provide something of a silver lining to it. :lol:

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »
I don't own a PS3 but I saw this game for it called Heavy Rain.  Holy shit that was awesome...if you can, go play it.  Not exactly a bundle of rainbows...but amazing story and idea just for gaming in general.  No continues, game overs, etc.  No matter what happens, the story continues based on your actions.  Lose a fight?  Game continues and you just got your ass beat.

Check it.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1777 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:59 pm »
I played the demo for Heavy Rain, and while the style and presentation were intriguing, it was all drowned out by absolutely terrible acting and dialogue. All (but one) of the supposedly "American" characters are clearly played by French actors, and the creators assumed actual Americans would be too stupid to notice. Speaking of the creators, the guy behind it, David Chase, is one of the most fanatically egotistical douchebags in the gaming industry, and the company of characters like Tomonobu Itagaki and Dennis Dyack, that's saying something. It also has one of the worst cases of the Uncanny Valley that I've ever seen in a retail game. And finally, I hear tell (though I cannot personally confirm) that it contains massive plot holes.

That's my two cents on the game, anyway. But if people are looking for an intensely narrative-focused game with a genuinely mature storyline, you know what they should play? Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, one of the most under-appreciated titles this gen. I've heard Alan Wake is pretty good as well, but not having a 360 I can't verify.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 06, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »
Because demos are always so awesome.... :roll:

Play the real thing...and a lot of creators of a lot of things are douches...

I guess I'm just trying to say play the real thing...from what I've heard they got new voice actors, could be wrong.  But yea play the real thing if you can. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:02:31 pm by Shee »

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 08, 2010, 02:31:28 pm »
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is blowing my mind. The story has so many twists it wrecks my face at every turn.

Harle.fr

• Iokan (+1)
  • Serge, dream of moi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 10, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »
Mostly Wii games with my friends : MK, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Tennis or Guitar Hero among others, with all the fun and the laughing it implies. When I'm thinking about it, it's been a while since I last played a RPG game...

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 11, 2010, 11:29:41 am »
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is blowing my mind. The story has so many twists it wrecks my face at every turn.

I stick to Capcom fighters mainly because I'm too old to get good at anything else, but the BlazBlue community seems pretty awesome. I've watch a few tournies and the gameplay looks pretty intenese.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 12, 2010, 11:49:20 am »

I stick to Capcom fighters mainly because I'm too old to get good at anything else, but the BlazBlue community seems pretty awesome. I've watch a few tournies and the gameplay looks pretty intenese.

I would say blazblue is easy to pick up. The first game was very noob friendly but in continuum shift you really have to know what you're doing to be even mediocre which is hard because some of the characters can be a little outlandish to learn. For example Carl Clover is probably one of the best characters but unless you've put hours into learning how to use him (because you're basically controlling two radically different characters at the same time) he is absolutely impossible to play as. Overall it's balanced, fun, the story is incredible, and the only real problem is that you can counter pick your character more often than I'd like. (fuckin Tager)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »
Bioshock Infinite, anyone...?!

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 13, 2010, 01:42:24 am »
I don't know about you guys, but I've been playing alot of the "Retro" games lately. NES and SNES mostly. Titles may vary.