Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192747 times)

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1710 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:25 am »
It's harder to make more lighthearted games now because the only way to make them cost-effective is to put them on a handheld...I wish they'd gravitate back towards the Wii, myself...Make the genre less about the current FF-style of big story & pretty graphics...

Yeah. Other genres have seen things switch focus to a more retro style. I wish we could get the same from RPGS. 2D Fighters are back in full force. I never really liked 3D fighters and I'm glad things are shifting back thanks to games like SSFIV, Blaz Blue, KoF, TvC, MvC...etc. Old school platformers are even
making a comeback.

I'd love to see RPGs go the retro route. I mean SNES was really a golden age for RPGs. DS is doing a good job, but it'd be great to see Wii, 360, and PS3 get involved. I'd love to see some more RPGs with some classic looking 2D sprites. Graphics can still be visually impressive without being 3D.
That's the route lots of Indie developers have covered. If you need a new 2D RPG, I suggest either the Phantasia Series or Hero's Realm.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1711 on: May 08, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »
Well...I might as well bring it up since I have all over my social networkingness (FB, MySpace & Playfire anyway), but I'm playing the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta and finding it to be quite good. If you like Halo, you'll probably like Reach (though you'll probably chew people's ears off about w/e differences or things you don't like even though they don't ask). If you don't like Halo there may or may not be enough changes in the gameplay to get you into it this time. It's interesting to play as a Spartan II (the Chief being a Spartan III) and run around with the different Armor Abilities (my heart belongs to Sprint) and everything looks so damn PRETTY! I find myself making excuses to save films so I can go in and take pictures because I feel like I could take a picture of the weapons someone drops when they're dead and still end up with an awesome pic. Add on to that the fact that the objective modes (both new & old) are actually FUN (I wasn't much a fan of any of them prior) and I personally am hooked. So far my only real complaint is not seeing how many of each individual medal you get per game, but I think this is mostly going to be limited to the beta...Anyone else try it out yet...?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:26:16 pm by V_Translanka »

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #1712 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:46 am »
I recommend picking up Red Dead Redemption, it does take about an hour or so of playing to get into it (much like a GTA game) but once you do get into it you'll be hooked I assure you. It runs really smoothly, not a whole lot of load screens and gameplay is near to perfect, the only real flaws being the lack of any real HP GUI and the horse controls are a pain to get used to but you'll get used to them fast no less. Another few games that are coming out this year that I'll be snatching up are Halo Reach, Fallout: New Vegas and Fable 3 all of which look to be shaping up awesomely.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:51 am »
I recommend picking up Red Dead Redemption, it does take about an hour or so of playing to get into it (much like a GTA game) but once you do get into it you'll be hooked I assure you. It runs really smoothly, not a whole lot of load screens and gameplay is near to perfect, the only real flaws being the lack of any real HP GUI and the horse controls are a pain to get used to but you'll get used to them fast no less. Another few games that are coming out this year that I'll be snatching up are Halo Reach, Fallout: New Vegas and Fable 3 all of which look to be shaping up awesomely.

As far as RDR goes, I've been playing the game for about 20+ hours, and I haven't even touched the main game yet. The online mode is so fun!

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 24, 2010, 04:45:36 pm »
Sooooo, anyone else here played Ace attorney investigations? :D  I just beat it yesterday.  All in all I think I prefer the regular ace attorney system but this one still rocked.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #1715 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:09 am »
As far as RDR goes, I've been playing the game for about 20+ hours, and I haven't even touched the main game yet. The online mode is so fun!
You're so right there, the online multiplayer is extremely fun. I started playing the multiplayer the other day and haven't gone back to the main game since.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 25, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7QXtgdpB0

A remake of Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem.

Well, it won't be long before the Jugdral games come too, hehehe...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »
I've been playing Resident Evil 4 for more than 1 week.
Though it was released 5 years ago, but my PC still fails to run it smoothly so I have to use default settings for my video card.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 25, 2010, 10:26:22 pm »
Resident Evil 4 is fantastic, isn't it! What an outstanding piece of gaming that was. Arghgh, I get so pissed at myself for not buying Resident Evil 5 yet.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 25, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »
Hehe, I heard 5 is more like an enhanced version of 4 (the systems have many similarities).
However I'm afraid I won't be able to play it unless I upgrade my PC (I don't plan to buy PS3 or Xbox3660).

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 26, 2010, 01:36:50 am »
Hehe, I heard 5 is more like an enhanced version of 4 (the systems have many similarities).
However I'm afraid I won't be able to play it unless I upgrade my PC (I don't plan to buy PS3 or Xbox3660).

I got 5, and barely played it. Four is better in almost every way. The only thing 5 has going for it is online Co-op.

Dice.

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Que Sera Sera
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh.
« Reply #1721 on: May 27, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

I got 5, and barely played it. Four is better in almost every way. The only thing 5 has going for it is online Co-op.

I loved it for that.  Because of a great co-operative play, my brother and I played through that stupid game like 5 times.

Sooooo, anyone else here played Ace attorney investigations? Very Happy  I just beat it yesterday.  All in all I think I prefer the regular ace attorney system but this one still rocked.

I like it too - its fun to actually run around (anyone else wish the player had better control of how fast the text scrolls??  ARGH, gets annoying five titles later...!).
I do think, however, the sprite work (which, IMO is a real highlight of the series) reaaallly took a step back.  Kay looks awful in most sprites, let alone other characters.  Especially given how fabulous the Apollo Justice sprites looked.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 27, 2010, 02:07:33 pm »
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Lost Planet 2, and Alan Wake? What are the opinions of our society?

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18:21 pm »
Sooooo, anyone else here played Ace attorney investigations? Very Happy  I just beat it yesterday.  All in all I think I prefer the regular ace attorney system but this one still rocked.

I like it too - its fun to actually run around (anyone else wish the player had better control of how fast the text scrolls??  ARGH, gets annoying five titles later...!).
I do think, however, the sprite work (which, IMO is a real highlight of the series) reaaallly took a step back.  Kay looks awful in most sprites, let alone other characters.  Especially given how fabulous the Apollo Justice sprites looked.
Are you referring to their bigger sprites?  As a whole I though most of them were pretty good.  In more than one it seemed there was a lot of detail.  Especially in people like Detective Badd and Ambassador Alba.  It just seemed like they added details to them that they probably wouldn't have in earlier games.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:02:36 pm by Delta Dragon »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1724 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »
Yeah, I got RE5 and traded it in almost immediately because the solo campaign had just ridiculous AI...Funny because now I've met someone online who I could play it with! Oh well...some other time, perhaps...

Anyway, I too am late to the party, but I finally beat Fallout 3 after several attempts and trying out various Quests I hadn't before...Overall great game, but I still don't understand how they thought people would be satisfied with just 20 levels...I know that it's a holdover from the previous games, but still...! To just block all progress was annoying. idk when I'll want to pick this up again even when I do get the DLC with more levels, but I'll prob do a nice lil evil run eventually...