Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192831 times)

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1635 on: March 13, 2010, 09:17:16 am »
I got FFXIII for my birthday on Friday, I must say I'm impressed, everything about it is brilliant thus far (I'm only up to chapter five).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1636 on: March 13, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »
I once bore witness to the "limit breaks" in FFVI.

Once.

Trouble is, they're so rare and hard to get that even an advanced gamer can playthrough until the second Kaiser Dragon and never see one.

Yeah, the Desperation Attacks were really just fancy critical hits...I only saw one, myself and only once I had learned they existed because otherwise I healed when my health was at critical and unless they've got the Genji Glove or something I rarely used a normal Attack...

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 14, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
Dunno if I misinterpreted this ...but I think I came across a possible Chrono reference in FF13
People in the town of Nautilus mention a place called the "Fiendlords Keep" ....which is the name of the castle where Magus is in the Ds port.

The people also say its under construction ....................
Possible hints at eventual remake?
or ....just a tribute like the other things in the game . E.g Palumpolum ....being Palom and Porom
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:56:22 pm by Yourgingerestfan »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1638 on: March 15, 2010, 10:12:04 am »
Not sure about a remake, but CT really has an enormous amount of tributes and cameos!  :lol: It's influencing today's media.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:33 am »
Dunno if I misinterpreted this ...but I think I came across a possible Chrono reference in FF13
People in the town of Nautilus mention a place called the "Fiendlords Keep" ....which is the name of the castle where Magus is in the Ds port.

or ....just a tribute like the other things in the game . E.g Palumpolum ....being Palom and Porom
That sounds really suspicious coming from them... maybe just a tribute.
There are 2 games I really want from them... Kingdom hearts 3 and new Chrono game.

Anyone saw any Kingdom hearts reference along the way?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 16, 2010, 05:07:57 pm »

*spoiler?*
The Fiendlord keep is the place where Sazh gets his summon, it really doesn't look anything like Magus' castle .
*spoiler?*

I am loving it and am on disc two, any one finish it yet? It just feels short.

Yourgingerestfan

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 16, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »
Im on chapter 11 , I agree it looked nothing like Magus's castle but just the constant repetition of it got me thinking .

ker-plop

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/67903/
« Reply #1642 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:00 am »
"Final Fantasy II" (SNES) has appeared on the Virtual Console.  I'm glad to see Square-Enix finally releasing their classic titles in the original...

And hey, if they put that one out, they might later follow it up with FF3/6... and maybe even Chrono Trigger.  Who knows?

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 17, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
"Final Fantasy II" (SNES) has appeared on the Virtual Console.  I'm glad to see Square-Enix finally releasing their classic titles in the original...

And hey, if they put that one out, they might later follow it up with FF3/6... and maybe even Chrono Trigger.  Who knows?
Seriously? That's awesome! I will be all over me some FF6. One of my favorite RPGs hands down.

Chrono Trigger is doubtful since they have the DS version. Then again, FFIV is on the DS as well.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »
Been playing some Oblivion again after stopping for a while after hitting a couple terrible bugs (and I thought Fallout 3 was bad! V_V)...Now I'm level 3, hooray! Even though leveling isn't important in the game, I can't abide having to constantly cast spells so I can carry things and such...Got to Apprentice in both Mage & Fighter Guilds as well (I had to wait on the Mage because I wanted to increase some abilities since one of the missions required sleeping)...Also, I thought that putting an arrow through a finished cave/dungeon/whatever's door (or doorstep) was a clever way of letting me know if I had been there or not only to find out that arrows will eventually disappear! Nuts!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 18, 2010, 05:44:05 pm »
I thought that putting an arrow through a finished cave/dungeon/whatever's door (or doorstep) was a clever way of letting me know if I had been there or not only to find out that arrows will eventually disappear! Nuts!

Lame! That is a clever idea. Is it only arrows that disappear? Can you put a rock in front of the door or something?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 19, 2010, 03:46:29 am »
Actually, I haven't checked it out with the doors, but I know I shot a few arrows in some Necromancer Nazi-like wall hanging things (and a random bed) and came back (not even from going to a different level of the dungeon) and they were gone...though admittedly I can understand it would be an incredible drain on memory to keep everything I've ever felled where I felled it (which makes my dream of eventually carrying everything dead (not to mention mostly nekkid) into one giant pile even more impossible)...>_>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:49:03 am by V_Translanka »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:30 am »
Alright, Cave story Wii was released today.  I heard, played, and saw enough to make a few conclusions. 
#1: The new soundtrack at least compared to the old one sucked unimaginably in about every way.

#2: The new translation was stupid for 2 main reasons one being minor the other major.  The minor is they changed Grass town to Bush land.  Come on, seriously?!  The Major.  I'm still ticked about it.  Thay changed Balrog's awesome and classic "Huzzah!" to "Oh yeah!"  Yay we went from one of my favorite video game villains to the Kool-Aid man.  *Groan*

#3: The sacred grounds speed run.  I suppose this is minor but it still bugs me.  Every time you die you have to pick up your guns, health, and they don't even give you the option to use the Machine gun, Snake, or Missile launcher.  Alone those would be bad, but together they're downright stupid. 

Now I do have to admit I'm glad they kept the over all controls right.  And the graphic improvements are good, but I can't see them very well, but I think that's just my TV.  But still, one new feature I do like is the Boss rush.  That thing they got right.  They made it easy, but it doesn't have to be easy, and it just had an overall well done feeling to it.  Unlike a good majority of the rest of the game. 

That's about all I got out of it.  As a whole, I kinda wish I hadn't payed $12 for it considering you can the original for free.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1648 on: March 23, 2010, 03:34:22 am »
That's about all I got out of it.  As a whole, I kinda wish I hadn't payed $12 for it considering you can the original for free.

Consider it a way to financially support someone who made a game you truly enjoyed. I have Cave Story installed on my computer; I intend to pick it up for the Wii fairly soon.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 23, 2010, 05:11:30 am »
Been playing some Oblivion again after stopping for a while after hitting a couple terrible bugs (and I thought Fallout 3 was bad! V_V)...Now I'm level 3, hooray! Even though leveling isn't important in the game, I can't abide having to constantly cast spells so I can carry things and such...Got to Apprentice in both Mage & Fighter Guilds as well (I had to wait on the Mage because I wanted to increase some abilities since one of the missions required sleeping)...Also, I thought that putting an arrow through a finished cave/dungeon/whatever's door (or doorstep) was a clever way of letting me know if I had been there or not only to find out that arrows will eventually disappear! Nuts!

Hooooo mang those Mage Guild quests in the beginning get irksome after a few times through.  Never got all the way through it, got tooooo sidetracked after the world of mods was introduced to me.  I guess try finding a chest to use?  I was bothered by everything levelling with you, I enjoyed omnipotence in Morrowind....digressing....