Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194502 times)

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1620 on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
Good Faf ! Im glad ;)
The AI is amazing actually , it reacts differently depending on how many times you have Libra on the enemy . So its vital for element absorbing monsters .

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »
You know I had to get this off my chest; Regarding FFXIII...

**SPOILERZZ of intro and first chapters below**

I couldn't help but notice how much the beginning resembles FF7. Did anyone else put the pieces together? We have the main character and a black guy getting off a train. The black guy wields "guns" like Barret. Together with Snow you had those dudes that were almost like Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie (Godat and Lebrau... for example). And I really thought Lightning resembled Cloud. I don't know why... but meh...

But also, when that lake froze and that weird structure pops up out of the water... didn't it remind you of that scene from Chrono Cross when the Dead Sea was frozen in time? It's just so crazy!!

**END SPOILERZZ BILLEH**

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
8 Years
« Reply #1622 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »
I beat Final Fantasy IV last night after starting the game 8 years ago. Started playing when I was 12, but various moves, hardships, tragedies, time with friends, tv shows, other video games, music performances etc. made me never get around to finishing it. I found my old PS1 save file which was in the last dungeon on the moon with characters all level 70 or higher and decided I would finally beat one of my favorite games of all time. Very satisfied with the ending.  8)

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Years
« Reply #1623 on: March 11, 2010, 02:16:16 pm »
Congrats! I have yet to beat and Final Fantasy besides IX. With IV, I got about halfway. With V, I only played about an hour into it. With VI, I got stuck in Kefka's Tower. ;_;

I don't like VII and I haven't played enough of VIII.

Still, IV is a tough game. Congrats!

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 11, 2010, 02:26:42 pm »
Not really , everything gave me a different vibe ....Sazh and Barret are totally different , Sazh being one of the series's best characters .

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »
I've beat IV, VII, Tactics, X and X-2. Got decently far in both VIII and IX (but lost my save file for VIII and my copy of IX so I never finished either). V and VI I've started playing multiple times but never play past an hour in either of them and lost my copy of Anthology. Got decently far in I and played a little bit of II and I'm decently far in Tactics Advanced. Recently bought XII and have played it for about 10 hours.

If I were to rank the games in terms of favoritsm, my top 5 are:
VII
IV
Tactics
IX
X

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:00 pm »
You haven't tried VI? (Nevermind, I see you post LOL) Personally I prefer it to VII. IV will be awesome if has graphic quality as good as VI, but still I like the story better than VII. My top V:

VI
IV
VII
IX
II

I don't count VIII in just because I finished it in a rush (leveled up 2 characters to lv100 and got bored, then skipped some bosses in the last castle).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:37:17 pm by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1627 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »
One question about FFXIII: Is there a ninja character?

EDIT: Sorry my merge muffled things there a bit...anyway good job, BearFrog! I held off beating IV for a while, having a save in the final dungeon, I believe...

And play more of VI already! Emulate if necessary! It's definitely a high point in the series. I usually hate putting the FFs in order, but VI & T are at the top followed by IV, then either VIII or IX (I like them both about the same but for different reasons: VIII has an awesome, satisfying ending & IX had just great character development) and then III, with X, X-2 & V rounding it off somewhere in the middle...maybe if I replay VII sometime now my opinion of it will lighten, but for now it stays somewhere in the underbelly far below I and even II along with MQ...lol
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:24:30 pm by V_Translanka »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 11, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »
One question about FFXIII: Is there a ninja character?

Unfortunately there is not V_

I will agree with gingerfan there about Sazh. Probably my favorite character so far in XIII and definitely within my top 10 of all FF characters. Lighting likes to go apeshit and PMS on just about everything... so idk about her, but she is cool...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:09 pm »

I liked just about everything in FF XIII...

except the game title.  That's gotta be changed.

Any suggestions?

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:32 am »
No Ninja character , sorry :S
The other characters do make up for one though !

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 12, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »
I'll probably get around to downloading another rom of FFVI (I've done that before), but like I said, I tend to play for about an hour and get bored with it. It didn't engorss me within in the first minute like a lot of the other titles. I did like the team of moogles, though.

But with VI, I feel like a lot of people give it additional praise because it wasn't as big as VII and I think people have started ripping on VII because of how big it has become. VII is still kickass and amazing, and much better than VIII (that ending has to be pretty amazing to make up for the rest of the game). So I'll get around to trying VI, but right now I've got Xenogears to occupy my time.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1632 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
A lot of the things that people associate with VII (Limit Breaks & Materia for instance) were actually done in VI first. I haven't liked VII since I played it not long after its initial release...though I did enjoy Advent Children well enough (possibly due to how it was more of what I expected in an FF movie rather than what we got in TSW)...Stick with VI as it only gets better as you go along. I think they learned a lot from DQIV in terms of pacing in focusing on various characters and then pulling them all together for a second half that's a lot less less linear...and it has the series' most badass ninja character ever!

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1633 on: March 12, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »
I once bore witness to the "limit breaks" in FFVI.

Once.

Trouble is, they're so rare and hard to get that even an advanced gamer can playthrough until the second Kaiser Dragon and never see one.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 13, 2010, 07:12:28 am »
You know I had to get this off my chest; Regarding FFXIII...

**SPOILERZZ of intro and first chapters below**

I couldn't help but notice how much the beginning resembles FF7. Did anyone else put the pieces together? We have the main character and a black guy getting off a train. The black guy wields "guns" like Barret. Together with Snow you had those dudes that were almost like Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie (Godat and Lebrau... for example). And I really thought Lightning resembled Cloud. I don't know why... but meh...

But also, when that lake froze and that weird structure pops up out of the water... didn't it remind you of that scene from Chrono Cross when the Dead Sea was frozen in time? It's just so crazy!!

**END SPOILERZZ BILLEH**
**Little SPOILERS**
I know, that is what I thought as soon as I started playing. I mean She is a SOLDIER, the train scene, the save the world thing, half of the game. Nearly half of it reminds me of other Square games, its really crazy indeed.
The entire game battle system feels like a fusion between Chrono Cross, Trigger, FFX and FFXII. It's awesome though.
**END OF SPOILERS**

I just got my copy today, man. I swear I was expecting to bet disappointed but I bought it still. Hopefully I wasn't!