Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194580 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1440 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »
Dear Mass Effect creators: I'm actually ok with the Mako (I guess...it's kinda fun in the way that a thick, plastic baby remote-controlled car is fun)...though on my first planet I got it stuck on some ladder-looking part of some exterior whatsit (possibly random cover wall or something) and had to walk for a good long while...Again, though, I'm ok with that...But wtf is with mapping the X button to Load on one screen and then the screen it leads to, X is mapped to DELETE SAVE!?!?! I didn't rush through the Citadel either, I stuck around and did the sidequests I could and got the beginnings of others after I became a Specter...

Luckily I can take the silver lining and made a female Renegade (everything else I kept mostly the same) and while I miss Ashley's clumsy attempts at hitting on male Shepard (boo!), being all Renegade made female Shepard totally get it on with that Asari consort (I hear I can also have her form a relationship with an Asari that joins my party)...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 12, 2010, 11:29:02 pm »
Oh god, Big the Cat. Irritating Nostalgia.

By the way, didn't Sands of Destruction just come out?

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:06 am »
Today I started to play Legend Of Dragoon and I must admit that game it's awesome.
I have never played it before, and it's just stunning.
The graphics are beautiful, when I saw the water I was like. Is this PS1?
The gameplay is really cool too but it took me a while to push the button right when the square reaches the center.

I am also trying to finish .//hack part 4 Quarantine which I have never finished yet.
I got the first 2 back in 2005 when i first got my PS2 and the last 2 where hard to find.
So I got them not long ago and started over. I still forgot how frustrating it is to get the damn Virus Cores... >___>

Well, I am also playing Siren: Blood Curse and i must admit that is the first creepy game I found on this console generation.
Now everything with zombies or necromorphs(dead space) is considered Survival Horror.
So far 2 games Dead space and Siren that's indeed sad.
Resident Evil 5 was a mess...
 I finished it once and that's it...
It's only good to play with friends.

Good games were the old ones.
It seems that now everything is online multiplayer.
The experience of multiplayer can only be defined when you play with someone next to you and you can get the satisfaction of beating your friends.
Left 4 Dead 2 is good but I would be awesome if it had offline multiplayer. That would be just awesome.

BTW, I hope Needlemouse is going to be good as the old school Sonics. The new ones are just bad!
Oh yeah, the new Prince Of Persia is gonna be on the Sands of Time trilogy so no more crappy story for kids like the old one. HAHA!

WOW, I suck... This is like my longest post lol

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:04 am »
Indeed, I am with you in the sense that, IMHO; this gen should be remembered as the "Age of Multiplayer", there are no more great single player experiences, counted are the games that deliver in the single player campaign.

It's a shame really, I understand that this is the time of internetz and online gaming and all that jazz, and online gaming it's great on it's own right, but not at the expense of the single player experience. Because, as you said, the multiplayer aspect can only be enjoyed/judged if you have others to play, and then the experience becomes completely subjective to the kind of people you play with.

I wasn't that into playing shooters back in the day(other than Doom II and Duke Nukem) because the people I played with created a very horrible environment, much like some MMO's(most of them actually), were you are pretty much guilty of a crime because you don't happen to know how to play the game that well or don't know everything about the game like they do. In short, you are a "n00b" and you should suffer for it.

This is supposedly off set by the idea that, because you have played the single player a lot, you are well versed on the mechanics and are fairly good on a competitive level and now want the action only PvP can offer. In theory, this is true, but in practice, most shooters nowadays are almost conceived as multiplayers, at least it appears so, judging by the boring single player campaign they offer. I remember the times when multiplayer was an added bonus, not the idea behind the game itself.

The idea of the industry shifting to exclusively make games that almost force you to play with others is something I don't like. I do like to play with others, and some games like Super Mario Wii or Gears of War are more fun playing with/against others, but note that you can still play those games by yourself and have fun. And sometimes I just want to play something alone, in my down time, without the need to find someone to play with me. Just like sprites and side scrollers, I believe single player games should always exist, because there is a reason why we loved those kind of things back in the day, we shouldn't forget were we came from as gamers, and neither should the industry.

Leaving my "they don't make 'em like they used to" rant aside, Legend of Dragoon is a very solid JRPG, the story and characters are a little too common for their own good amongst the genre, but the experience definitely holds it's own as a complete package. The combat is awesome, and despite it's flaws, it's really fun and a very nice addition to the turn based combat formula we all know and love. The FMV cutscenes are beautiful, and the one that happens right after the mandatory Ghost Ship is the best CGI scene I have seen on a PSX videogame.

If you want some old-school JRPG action, with great combat, likable characters(however "cliched", if you will), and a story that although it seems very common on it's overall themes, it is very told very well and has some nice twists here and there, some expected, some not that much, and some may even surprise you(like certain character's true origins and purpose *wink* *wink*). So if you have time, don't give up on Legend of Dragoon and I encourage you not to miss out on this cult hit, at the very least, it's one of those games you should play at least once, if only to see what they are all about. Even though you may find yourself not smitten by the finish line, chances are you are going to enjoy the ride.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1445 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:04 pm »
Today I started to play Legend Of Dragoon and I must admit that game it's awesome.
I have never played it before, and it's just stunning.
The graphics are beautiful, when I saw the water I was like. Is this PS1?
The gameplay is really cool too but it took me a while to push the button right when the square reaches the center.

I had been playing that one, but at some point I gave up. I enjoyed it while I was playing it, but I don't know that I'd go back to it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1446 on: January 14, 2010, 02:30:43 am »
Arkham Asylum is consistently amazing. I don't think anything in this game has disappointed me so far.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 14, 2010, 03:25:38 am »
Anyone play Sands of Destruction yet? I think it went on sale January 12?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 14, 2010, 04:06:55 am »
Nah, not as of yet Faust.

Legend of Dragoon was another amazing title. You should pick it up again RD. It has some of the most spectacular yet out-of-this-world FMVs. The story was unique (spanning four discs), the music was solid (serious and calm at appropriate times), and graphics not bad at all.

I actually just finished FF7 today. I have way too many questions about the ending... and I'd rather not spoil it in case someone has not played it... but I was impressed! heh... I even saw Masato Kato under the "Special Thanks" portion. I thought to myself for a brief moment as the FF main theme was playing as I was going into warp drive, "How would I have reacted to the story, overall, and its conclusion in 1997?" I don't know if I can answer that one... but it makes me want to replay some other RPGs of long ago that I have neglected over the years. Heck, I need to start my annual CT & CC playthroughs too. It's either that or begin FF8 and FF9. I just hope I can catch up in time for FF13.

So yea, anywho... very pleased with FF7. I'll have to rip the OST soon and put it on the iPOD.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:08:27 am by Magus22 »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1449 on: January 14, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
Legend of Dragoon is pretty good, yes. I like how the story starts out insanely cliché (hometown destroyed, save love interest from dungeon) and as the story progresses it actually evolves into something a bit more unique and definitely engaging...The regular battle timed stuff was nice, but just as boring as regular menus after a short time and the actual dragoon timing stuff got a little frustrating (I would have liked to be able to practice them at any time or something because I had some trouble finally getting the timing right)...

Now everything with zombies or necromorphs(dead space) is considered Survival Horror.

What about Plants vs. Zombies?

Resident Evil 5 was a mess...
 I finished it once and that's it...
It's only good to play with friends.

Wow, kudos on sticking with that...I had to give up after a couple days. To think they could get so much right with the series and then flush it all away again...

Left 4 Dead 2 is good but I would be awesome if it had offline multiplayer. That would be just awesome.

I think I had said or was going to say something similar a while back...Though my gripe was with MW2 not having split-screen online play (basically, if you've got a friend physically with you who wants to play with you, you've got to play Spec-Ops)...and, yeah, I still can't get into fucking L4D2...it all seems very...samey...

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 14, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »

All GameStops in the city told me it was shipped on the 12 but they wont recieve it till friday.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 14, 2010, 08:29:33 pm »

All GameStops in the city told me it was shipped on the 12 but they wont recieve it till friday.
Not so - my copy arrived in the mail today.

In fact, I don't know why I'm typing this. I should be playing it now!

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:59 pm »
Played a bit of Sands. It seems pretty decent so far.  Really dig the graphics. sprites on a 3-d, rotatable 3/4 overhead view.  Real colourful.  the characters remind me of the ones in Dragon Force on the Saturn, visually.  The battles stretch over both screens, which is a cool effect. 

The voices are hokey, but not as silly as the FFIV DS remake. Thankfully you can turn them off. It's a bit easy so far. The writing's not bad, a bit silly in parts.  But I'm liking it so far.  The music is as good as you would expect from Mitsuda.  A bit of a twist to have an anarchist element to the story too. 

Overall, looks promising, though not an instantly gripping smash hit in the first hour or so.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 15, 2010, 01:51:26 am »
Arkham Asylum is consistently amazing. I don't think anything in this game has disappointed me so far.

Yeah, i am nearly finishing it but my computer is running it slow i should have bought i for Ps3. So far a friend spoiled me the ending... lol and it seems its a bit disappointing.

What about Plants vs. Zombies?

I haven't even played that yet even thought some friends asked me to.

Wow, kudos on sticking with that...I had to give up after a couple days. To think they could get so much right with the series and then flush it all away again...

Yeah... i was as disappointed on that game as everyone else. It was like Resident Evil 4 all over again told in a different way. And other thing Jill wasn't blond that pissed me off... :P

I still can't get into fucking L4D2...it all seems very...samey...

Same, I still haven't finished any of the campaigns not to mention that i quit every time because i get bored. It's only good to release anger and chop heads off with your "ninja Sword" or baseball bat!

BTW So far Legend Of Dragoon is amazing and I still wonder if Shana gets the powers fast because Lavintz its kinda useless!
3 bosses in a row and I didn't have any more Health Potions... I killed them all... The game it's getting real hard...

Thanks, Dapifer for the info about LoD.
 And you are right since all the net expanded to consoles... The overall gaming experience changed dramatically. It's for either good or bad. However, it's nice to see some dev's that have the balance between the Single Player campaign and the multiplayer.
Games like the old medal of honor's are the ones I used to love now not many are about the fun and single player experience. It's kinda sad....

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:16 am »
Don't worry about Shana getting her DS, the pacing of the game is one of it's strong points. At the beginning of Disc 2 and Disc 3, the story stagnates a little and the game forces you to spend time in a city(different cities between discs), but they have their own reason and purpose, so I really don't think it detracts from the game.

As someone mentioned, one of the flaws the combat has is that, the farther you progress, the less useful Dragoon Additions become, if you play with a physical team, then your regular human additions will own the Dragoon form.

However, Shana and another character that you haven't met will be incredibly powerful with magic, and Dragoon Magic, so if you want to use them with Dragoon forms are really powerful and useful.

But, Shana doesn't really need the Dragoon form, personally, Lavitz was one of my favorite characters in the game, he's strong, has high HP, and is not as slow as the other bruiser you will meet. But Shana and the other mage rely on magic to function correctly. Use the magic attack items you encounter, like Burn Out and the like, with Shana and you will see the power a magic character wields.

Another tip, notice that when you use the "Guard" option, you will regain 10% of your total HP. Reserve healing items for boss battles, if you are low on HP, chances are you will find something that will replenish your HP when you reach a milestone on the area you are traversing(like Pireflyes, clean water, etc.), or you could find an encounter with weak enemies and exploit them. Notice how every map has one type of little minion monster, weak hp, weak damage. Kill the rest of the enemies on the opposite side and leave only one of this pests alive, Guard away until you have full HP and then move on.

Additions are faaaaar more important than levels, don't grind for experience, it's hard to level up with the grunts, bosses will give you the levels you'll need. Instead, farm for addition levels, if you are close to a milestone that replenishes your HP, and you are close to reach another tier in your current addition, spend some time leveling that up. Final additions can only be obtained after you master all your previous additions for that character, so don't start using Volcano without mastering Double Slash, because you won't get the final addition until you do so. You don't need 99 uses, only that the addition reaches level 5, I think 80 uses is enough.

All party combinations can defeat the game once you know what you are doing, but keep in mind that because this is turn based, Speed is the only stat that truly matters, because more turns yield better results than big damage or incredible resilience.

This game plays more like a WRPG than an JRPG, in the sense that there's never really a need to stay in one place and grind endlessly, so just go ahead and keep progressing the story if you wish, most side-quests are open for the entire game(at least the ones that count).

Keep you eyes peeled for that Stardust, the only side-quest that matters depends on getting all the pieces. Check every corner if you want to face the special boss in the game, if you don't care or are planning on doing a second, more thorough, run later, then just enjoy the ride and don't bother.

Try to keep at least 6 Angel's Whisper if you feel the enemies are steamrolling you, this way everyone in your party can be revived twice. If you are the one with the upper hand, then keep only 3, so if the stronger enemies later in the game deliver those pesky instant death attacks, you are covered.

Try to keep 3 physical ailment restores(forgot the name) and 3 mental ones. Turning Dragoon will cure any status ailments, but sometimes you may wish to save your Dragoon levels for the Boss, and one ailment prevents you from earning more SP, so it's better play safe and have 3 of each. Again, if you feel you are steamrolling the enemies or prefer to use your human form(like myself), then perhaps 2/2 is better or even 1 physical and 2 mental.

The rest of your item limit fill it however you see fit, I prefer MP regenerating items like the Serenades, or Healing items if you use a party of 3 warriors.
Or if you want to use the mages, then save the powerful all enemy attack items.

Play against your enemies weaknesses, all enemies have a color on their name, that's their innate element. Counter your enemy with their opposite element to deliver massive damage. Light - Darkness, Fire - Water, Earth - Wind. Note that Dark Blue is Darkness, Purple is Thunder, Thunder is the odd element out and thus has no opposite.

Well... I am sorry if most of this things you already knew or figured out by yourself, but I wanted to give you a few tips so you can enjoy the game and don't be put off by finding yourself in a bind. Actually... now I want to replay LoD again =P

Maybe I will...

And you should play Plants VS. Zombies, it's fun, addictive, and has this "arcade game" feel to it that is just charming. At least give it a try, if you don't like it at least you can say you know the game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:59:04 am by Dapifer »