Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194423 times)

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1380 on: December 27, 2009, 05:23:25 pm »
@ Acacia Sgt: I can't read Japanese...  :( It's something I have always regretted...

@ Genesis One: That's a very good question, it doesn't boot anymore, maybe it got burned in a storm or something, I usually unplug my consoles after playing, but sometimes I forgot, and my previous apartment was known for it's faulty wiring(among leaky pluming, and many other reasons why I got the hell out of there as soon as I could, but at the time I couldn't afford anything better) I am not really sure.

I know that if you take really good care of them they last a lot, but I also know I am not the only one that has experienced the sad truth of console casualties.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 27, 2009, 05:33:32 pm »
Hell, yes. Eternal Sonata. You play that, and you get trapped in it.  :kamina

I have it , its nice but ...some of the scenes are a bit lengthy and not good for when your parents are saying "Turn it off , I wanna watch my shows" and the characters are still talking and its been ages from a save point .

If you can put up with that ...its a good game and ps3 encore mode is deadly ..(cant get past the goats xd)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 27, 2009, 05:51:37 pm »

That's gotta be one of the biggest problems in RPGs of any type: not enough save points for those longer expeditions and grinding for experience.

Can anyone think of an RPG that didn't have this problem? I can't seem to remember playing such a game.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 27, 2009, 08:05:58 pm »

That's gotta be one of the biggest problems in RPGs of any type: not enough save points for those longer expeditions and grinding for experience.

Can anyone think of an RPG that didn't have this problem? I can't seem to remember playing such a game.
Well in Pokemon you can save anywhere so that's one example.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54:08 pm »
I bought a 360 because it was on sale and I wanted to play Mass Effect, I say it was worth it, but as I sadly found out later, there are not really that many RPGs for the 360, mostly shooters and sports games, I enjoy the occasional shooter(I have both Gears of War) but I am not that crazy about them, I have finsihed DOA 4 and Soul Calibur, so am really not looking for action or fighting games, what I have been yearning for some time is some good role playing opportunities, my time is yet to come in the RP threads, and I already beated Dragon Age 3 times, so I am a bit hungry for some quality role playing here...

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, and Tales of Vesperia are all really good. There are others I haven't played like Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Infinite Undiscovery that look good. If you liked Mass Effect and DAO then I recommend Knights of the Old Republic for xbox.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 27, 2009, 09:58:24 pm »

Well in Pokemon you can save anywhere so that's one example.

The Golden Sun games also.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 27, 2009, 10:38:18 pm »

Mother 3. Earthbound. And of course, Chrono Trigger. And a whole lot more.

Mother 3 needs to be emulated and patched with the Fan Translation, which is quite a bit better than most official translations.
http://mother3.fobby.net/

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 28, 2009, 02:06:43 am »
I bought a 360 because it was on sale and I wanted to play Mass Effect, I say it was worth it, but as I sadly found out later, there are not really that many RPGs for the 360, mostly shooters and sports games, I enjoy the occasional shooter(I have both Gears of War) but I am not that crazy about them, I have finsihed DOA 4 and Soul Calibur, so am really not looking for action or fighting games, what I have been yearning for some time is some good role playing opportunities, my time is yet to come in the RP threads, and I already beated Dragon Age 3 times, so I am a bit hungry for some quality role playing here...

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, and Tales of Vesperia are all really good. There are others I haven't played like Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Infinite Undiscovery that look good. If you liked Mass Effect and DAO then I recommend Knights of the Old Republic for xbox.

@ Jutty: Of that list the only ones I didn't know are Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia, I don't know... I have never give the Tales series a proper look, but I keep hearing they are very good, I heard bad things about Star Ocean: the Last Hope, and frankly, Infinite Undiscovery was boring, I rented that one and didn't like it. As for Bethesda games, they are good, but I prefer BioWare all the way... probably because I have been a fan since the Baldur's Gate era, so maybe it's my inner fanboy talking, I still liked Fallout and Oblivion, but I don't feel like playing them again. And of course, both KotORs where an amazing ride, but I am looking to broaden my experiences a little, that is, sail into uncharted waters.Thanks for your input.

Mother 3 needs to be emulated and patched with the Fan Translation, which is quite a bit better than most official translations.
http://mother3.fobby.net/

@ Trebuchet: Sweet! Thanks for the for the link, I will check it out!

So I think I will play Mother 3, maybe I will check out Tales of Vesperia because I keep hearing nothing but good things about that game, this will give me enough to spend my time with until Mass Effect 2 comes along. Thanks a lot everyone!  :D

Yourgingerestfan

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 28, 2009, 07:48:51 am »
Tales of Vesperia was my first ever Tales game and it was amazing , really wanna play the rest now .

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:53 am »
I just found something extremely cool. http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=84 It lets you put your snes roms on a cart and play on a legit snes. Which is really hot. Get that along with http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Video-System-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0012NZGJE and an official snes controller and it = win.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:42:16 am by Jutty »

crono123

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 29, 2009, 03:11:19 pm »
I'm currently replaying Mother 3 and Chrono Trigger! Also, I'm playing some Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 online and trying to level up. Oh, and some Dragon Warrior 1 NES! It's grind-tastic!

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 29, 2009, 06:42:25 pm »
I'm replaying quite a few PSX titles right now, some of which it's been so long that it's like playing them for the first time--Alundra, the SaGa games and Wild Arms games, to name a few.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 29, 2009, 08:49:28 pm »
BTW I always hated Genesis...

Genesis the character from FFVII Crisis Core... :P

I started playing DragonBall Raging Blast and BatmanAA.

Also Eternal Sonata was really good. I have yet to finish Encore mode but it's extremely hard.  I want to see the game real ending but I heard the 360 ending it's really different.
I am going to get DragonAge soon.
I really need to catch up with the new games!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1393 on: December 29, 2009, 10:19:14 pm »
I'm playing Arkham Asylum too.

I got my PS3 today (with the aforementioned Batman, plus Mirror's Edge). I want a good game for online play, but MW2 looks so... gritty. I dunno... I'd like to play it online though, I did really enjoy a CoD game online once... Help me out here. D:

Just played Mirror's Edge, what a piece of shit. It's a nice concept but I'm finding it near-impossible to make it through the second level.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:24:08 pm by FaFniR »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 30, 2009, 02:41:02 am »
I didn't like Mirrors Edge over all because, though its a nice concept, it was easy and I finished it in 10 hours or so.