Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194566 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1290 on: December 10, 2009, 12:48:17 am »
They've just been trying to outdo themselves in ridiculous robot shticks since Top Man, but I say, "IT CANNOT BE DONE~!!"

8-Bit is unnecessary now. The series should look as good (i.e. better) than the ZX series or w/e...and get on a new Legends, dammit!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:52 am »
How is 8-bit unnecessary?  They can save more colours for ZXY or whatever they come out with next.  There is nothing wrong with some 8-bit  goodness.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1292 on: December 10, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »
I wonder who dreamed of Sheep Man...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 10, 2009, 04:10:54 pm »

One arcade game I will always love is the Point Blank series.

Conceivably one of the best Party FPS games out there.  The sheer comedy within this is reason enough for me to always try and top my high score.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 13, 2009, 02:42:57 am »
The main site is up now:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/est/

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1295 on: December 13, 2009, 04:09:27 am »
8-Bit is unnecessary because our systems can handle more and we can make even sprites look better than that. I can understand a graphical style being chosen (like say cel shading), but to choose it just for a nostalgic twist is a lazy gimmick. But it is Megaman, it's not like I expect a lot. Run, Shoot, Boss, Repeat...

Anyway, just scooped up 3 games for 360...RE5, GTA4 & Too Human. Resident Evil 5 so far is what I expected: RE4 style with black zombo virus people (instead of white hillbilly/texas chainsaw zombo virus people)...I'm not especially thrilled with the need to keep a partner alive, so hopefully I can get a decent co-op player to help me out...It's been quite a while since I last played RE4 so I'm still getting used to the control layout again...

Grand Theft Auto 4 seems pretty good so far (though I haven't done much). It's strange to have such better driving physics in a GTA...Will I have to actually use the regular break now?! One small thing I've noted and assume will remain true throughout the course of the game is that it's strange and awkward dressing a middle-aged Russian man...>_>

Too Human is a strange, quirky action/adventure RPG thing. Part Norse myth, part cyber punk-inspired future war. Nice character class and abilities that makes me think I'll be playing through this more than once...Kind of a learning curve I'm still going through with the controls though...unique & pretty fun though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:11:21 am by V_Translanka »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1296 on: December 13, 2009, 07:23:25 pm »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1297 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »
Nintendo trademarks "Zii"

...Wait, what?

And this was too awesome not to link:
Capcom hands out Energy Tanks

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 15, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »
Likely a move on Nintendo's part to discourage the development of a Wii knock-off. They won't do anything with the name; they'll just sit on it to ensure no one else tries to use it.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 15, 2009, 08:19:49 pm »
Sheep Man...

Possibly a reference and/or indication to the Maverick Bosses in MMX, which were pretty much almost all animals? :shock:

I smell a conspiracy theory!

*gets bricked*

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 15, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »
Sheep Man...

Possibly a reference and/or indication to the Maverick Bosses in MMX, which were pretty much almost all animals? :shock:

I smell a conspiracy theory!

*gets bricked*
Huh.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't know but it's possible.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:33 pm »
Gotta say, always thought it was way overrated. Still feel the exact same since I notice countless flaws with it. But it's much more amazing than I remember it to be.

Currently playing through Final Fantasy VII *hiss* the name that overshadows every other thing Square has under it's belt.
I had read the whole story, watched the whole plot, and knew every last detail of it.

But if Chrono has taught me anything, it's that watching and playing are 2 VERY different experiences. I had left off years ago(since I had borrowed from a relative for a weekend only)just getting out of Midgar on Disc 1. Currently I'm on Disc 2, and...
well, spoilers ahead...

I just lost Cloud when he ditched me to hang with his master, Sephy. Joy. Specially since I'm stuck with Barret and Cait Sith. I spent the game leveling up Tifa(who's being murdered right now), Cloud(already stated), and Aerith. Average level at this point is 36. Tifa was 38-39, Vincent(also unusable at the moment)42, Cloud 42, and believe it or not I leveled Aerith mad. 40. Sounds weaker than the other 2 right? But keep in mind I haven't had her on my party in awhile now since she leaves toward the end of disc 1. The rest of my party was about level 34 when she was 40. Where everyone would die, she would triumph. Thus making it all the more saddening(and admittingly made me cry)when the end of Disc 1 came around and her fate was sealed. I saw it coming, and have prepared myself years for it, and it did squat. :lol: I'd put that moment in terms of epicness on par with the Magus fight easily. The rest of the game's events? Meh, not so much, CT obliterates, but that one scene can easily hold it's own with any game(and without that scene honestly the majority of FFVII's luster would be crap covered).

It's definetly fun, however I dunno if it's that I'm used to the analog stick or what, but controlling Cloud in tight locations can sometimes be an extreme pain and he'll spaz out. The graphiocs of the overwrld, even for it's time, seem OK at best and everyone I know(even the FFVII fanboys that are my friends)can agree that they aren't that great. The graphics are much better for battles(I suppose it does add the unintentional effect of the world's look amazing compared to the crappy characters and the battles look great too)and the cutscenes obviously are the main selling point(at the time and even in the future some of the best graphics period).

Overrall though a great game. But as I said at the start, I retain my opinion still, highly overrated and far from the best game ever. It's one of the best, but THE best? Ha!

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 16, 2009, 02:23:06 pm »
I think you have to finish both games passworded but I'm not sure...

Yes, you have to. That means playing through three times. One for the other game's password, two for the first game's password, and finally three for the true ending.
Actually you don't.  Last night I finished Seasons with the password and got to the extra dungeon.  You just need to get the password after beating one of the games, enter it in the other, and you go through the game and get to fight Twinrova and Ganon and all that.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1303 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »
I'll put in a kind word on FFVII:

Is it overrated? Yes, most definitely. But is its popularity well-deserved? Absolutely.

Like most popular side characters that become main characters in a show or work of literature, over exposure is slowing doing in FF7, which has since spawned its own OVA(have yet to see it), movie(loved it), and three spin off games, only one of which  was available on a platform console, and therefore, capable of the same quality overall as the original. Now, this has had some degree of success, as well as some degree of failure. I freaking loved Advent Children, and even if I accept it as non-canon, it was worth the price of admission/dvd/pirating it off of the Internet/what have you. However, at a certain point, enough is enough. The original game was amazing; rivaling FF6 and 9 as the best Final Fantasy game. I have a feeling that even the most ardent fans would agree that a third game in an RPG series that everyone here had better be aware of, would've been better than a third spinoff of FF7.

Now where's the kind word in all of this? Well, FF7 definitely deserves this popularity. Consider Pop Rock, an entity far more mainstream pop culture than Final Fantasy games will ever be(outside of Japan, anyways). Where are Hanson, most of the members of N-Sync or the Backstreet Boyz, who just ten years ago, you couldn't walk into a public domain without hearing something good or bad about one or the other. Now consider them today, where very few of these people still exist in the public eye. They're popularity was ill-deserved and fleeting. Now consider bands like ACDC or Jimi Hendrix(yes, he was a band in and of himself). ACDC is still doing tours around the world, and I'm sure Hendrix would be had he not died of a heroine overdose. Moreover, fans of both still wait for ACDC to do a tour, or come out with a new CD, or for another Hendrix cover band to pop up. I'd consider these people's fame much more deserved than their pop rock successors.

What does this have to do with FF7? Well, 15 years after it was released, there is still a clamoring for a new spin off, or new OST release, or cameos, etc. That there is such a demand for this franchise so long after the original debuted shows that there is a bit more to it than the shallow popularity of a fad. FF7 had something that touched and inspired people, so that even 15 years later, people are still wanting more of it; to interact with its character again, or fight the same story again. It was the first on the PS1, and hosted an extremely cutting edge graphics engine for its time. It's spiritual successor in this regard, FF10, had no such love from its fans.

In short, FF7 is a standout game and franchise. It's overrated, sure, but at least its overratedness is made less sufferable by the fact that it deserves the popularity it has.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 16, 2009, 06:36:40 pm »

I liked Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

...or were you talking about a different OVA?

The reason FFX didn't fare as well was because it was TOO avant-garde.  Experience points got replaced with ability points and sphere grids (shudder).

I guess the real problem with being avant-garde is wondering who's putting on who.