Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192779 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1275 on: November 27, 2009, 01:26:10 pm »
At least come somewhere close to FF VI, which is the best IMO, sorry Dark3mx.

Fixed it. You had an extra I in that game title.

:franky

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1276 on: November 27, 2009, 01:32:47 pm »
I completed NSMBWii the other day. I'll copy-paste my post from another forum:

Well, I finished it last night. Overall I loved the hell out of it, I don't how people can call this a rehash when it uses so much great innovation. I prefer it over NSMB for the DS already, and I was enjoying it enough to get every star coin before finishing the last castle.

I unlocked World 9 after beating it (hurray for Star Road resemblance), so I'll have to finish that sometime.

I'd say my only problems are that levels get noticably shorter as the game goes on. The fact I'm aware Miyamoto is fond of shorter games kind of irks me a little (although I certainly agree fun > length), since I got the impression that later on the level designers were like "Well guess that'll do". The last 2 or 3 levels in World 8 are examples that spring to mind. Also, in total there's, what, 10 or 11 Yoshi levels? Plus we can't bring him to other levels, which is understandable I suppose, but in that case we could've done with more being available throughout the game. Every time a Yoshi egg appears it feels like a rare gift, rather the simple joy of getting one in Super Mario World. Last complaint would be the music, I guess? I know I've seen a few complaints aimed at this, particularly the lack of unique tracks in the game. I thought the music was fine as ever (some really superb castle level theme work), but looking back I can see what people mean by there not being a lot of unique themes...

But anyway, the game's mostly pretty spot-on. Deserves about 90%. Know that feeling you get from SMB3 or SMW that's been making you go back to play them frequently for over 10 years? NSMBWii gives the same feeling.

At least come somewhere close to FF IX, which is the best IMO, sorry Dark3mx.

Silly billy, you're supposed to drop the V and add an X next!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:35:20 pm by FaFniR »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 27, 2009, 01:33:46 pm »
At least come somewhere close to FF IX, which is the best IMO, sorry Dark3mx.

Haha! You got me! :lol:

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 30, 2009, 03:45:21 am »
At least come somewhere close to hopefully not an FF game, IMO, sorry Dark3mx.

Haha! You got me! :lol:

All I did was skip the rest of the steps for you.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »
I am looking forward to FF vs XIII which is being directed by the guy who made Kingdom Hearts! But without the Disney characters, I see this going to be awesome.
I don't care all that much about 13. I just gonna get it because I liked FFX a lot and I see being something similar to that one.
Yeah Final Fantasy should even being called that anymore... just make a new rpg and call it a decent name. After all they are non related...
I would call Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy because of the plot LOL. It's perfect for it! #.#

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1280 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »
I long for the day it (FFIX) gets a glorious remake.

Eh, I wouldn't want a remake of this gem seeing that a lot of Squeenix's remakes end up being an overkill. And why fix something that's not broken anyways?

Sword of Mana, Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, FFIII DS & FFIV DS at the very least were great remakes. I've also heard good things about Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War, Star Ocean: First Departure & Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories & the remakes of I & II on PSP (though most people agree they should have been packaged together rather than sold seperately)...Enix has always done a great job remaking various Dragon Quests over the years from the ones on SNES & even the GBC ones all the way up to the current DQIV-VI remakes on DS.

Personally, I've always felt  that IX got the shaft graphically. We got this great game marred by an artistic supposed nostalgia trip that most n00bs interpreted as "kiddie". I wanted the next step after VIII and instead ended up getting a step back in time with big-head mode from NBA Jam.

I think the main reason for remakes though is to get the newer audience that hasn't played them (either due to lack of availability [isn't FFVII the only FF on PSN?] or because some newer gamers just can't handle playing older games)...it's sad, but kids are spoiled with their fancy graphics today, but just because they're graphics whores doesn't mean that they don't deserve to play some of the best games from gaming history, yeah?

Add to that the potential to add new and/or updated content, the fact that they are easier to produce than completely new games and remakes just plain make perfect sense (fiscal if nothing else).

Damn, your remake talk sidetracked me! Anyway, I've been trying to play Halo 3: ODST...Apparently this 360 I'm using is some whacky luck of the draw older version that has some kind of problems reading the newer DVD formats of certain newer games or some gobbledeegook...It's lame & infuriating and only serves to remind me how lame Microsoft is.

Fortunately I've got an RPG that works perfectly to keep myself in check. Infinite Undiscovery is a pretty alright action/adventure RPG for the 360. I got it for $10 at a Hollywood Video (along with a $5 copy of Raiden 3 for PS2) on Black Friday (I'm so pissed I missed out grabbing GTA4 for $10 at Walmart)...I'm not a fan of action/adventure RPGs usually. This is mainly due to poor AI and really just the fact that you normally lose control of your other party members. IU does a fair job of this by having the AI characters at your beck & call (you can call either of your 3 companions to use either of two abilities you can set beforehand to use)...most places it got average reviews, but Sessler over at X-Play on G4 said that it got better as it went along as so far that seems to be holding true...There are two annoying twin children that give Pollum and Porom a run for their money...and with all children characters, I can't fucking stand their voice acting...V_V

Oh yeah! The main reason I came here is to greatly suggest the use of myZoom for no$gba~!! If you run that emulator at all (v2.6a or don't bother) you should get this awesome program. It's got a variety of options that compliment no$. There's Zoom, obviously (I love playing on two full screens with two monitors!), the ability to flip it on its side (fuck yeah, now I can finally play Brain Age & Ninja Gaiden without getting a kink in my neck!), and various filters so that it doesn't look like filth at those larger sizes. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED~!!

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 07, 2009, 01:46:29 am »
sorry to bring it up in 2 different threads but has anyone else here played Cave Story?

If anyone wants to play a game, you should play Cave story.  Amazing platformer, and its freeware.

In fact, Quote, the protagonist, has recently surpassed Serge in terms of my favorite protagonist.

I have been waiting for the WiiWare version of Cave Story (with DLC! *wistful distant gaze...*) for a long, long time.  It should be released any week now.  (So they say.  :roll:)

I'm sorry, but for all of you who don't know about Cave Story, or haven't played it, you NEED to play it. like, now.  Here's the download page.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_1.php

Come back when you finish.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1282 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:59 pm »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:42:07 pm by FaFniR »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 09, 2009, 07:57:54 pm »
Sheep Man?

Well, at least originality is something they won't ran out any time soon I guess.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 09, 2009, 09:49:11 pm »
...Okay, I knew they were starting to run out of ideas for robot masters, but Sheep man?!   :roll:

Anyway, I recently started The legend of Zelda oracle of Ages.  I've gotten pretty far before, but I finally finished it for the first time.  Then I got the password and am playing through oracle of Seasons which I have beaten many many times, just never with the password, so that's made it at least semi new. 

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1285 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:38 pm »
...Okay, I knew they were starting to run out of ideas for robot masters, but Sheep man?!   :roll:

Anyway, I recently started The legend of Zelda oracle of Ages.  I've gotten pretty far before, but I finally finished it for the first time.  Then I got the password and am playing through oracle of Seasons which I have beaten many many times, just never with the password, so that's made it at least semi new. 

Oh come on, Sheep Man looks awesome. The fourth game had Junk Man and Toad Man. Plus there HAVE been worse.

Nice, the Oracle games are awesome. If you finish both of the games with passwords you'll get access to the extra dungeon where you fight Twinrova and Ganon. I think you have to finish both games passworded but I'm not sure...

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
Where is my Rockman X9 with 32bit graphics!! XD

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 09, 2009, 11:23:53 pm »
I've played the Oracle games, but haven't finished them yet, and I don't plan to, at least not anytime soon, but someday I will.

I think you have to finish both games passworded but I'm not sure...

Yes, you have to. That means playing through three times. One for the other game's password, two for the first game's password, and finally three for the true ending.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:18:46 am by Acacia Sgt »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 10, 2009, 12:09:33 am »
If Zero isn't finally created by Dr. Wily in this one, I'm going to be just slightly more pissed than I was the last time around. Love the artwork though; it brings to mind Mega Man I. Is that official or done by the magazine for the report?

Protoman's cape looks kinda Zero-ish in that art...maybe some of those fan suspicions -- nevermind.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:48 am »

Oh come on, Sheep Man looks awesome. The fourth game had Junk Man and Toad Man. Plus there HAVE been worse.
I wasn't denying that there have been terrible ones.  Just I think this one surpasses many of the previous ridiculous ones. 
Oh and Junk man is in 7.  It's Dust man that's in 4.