Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192680 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1260 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
sorry to bring it up in 2 different threads but has anyone else here played Cave Story?

If anyone wants to play a game, you should play Cave story.  Amazing platformer, and its freeware.

In fact, Quote, the protagonist, has recently surpassed Serge in terms of my favorite protagonist.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 20, 2009, 03:22:00 am »
sorry to bring it up in 2 different threads but has anyone else here played Cave Story?

If anyone wants to play a game, you should play Cave story.  Amazing platformer, and its freeware.

In fact, Quote, the protagonist, has recently surpassed Serge in terms of my favorite protagonist.
:D *Raises hand* I think I've mentioned my love for the game a couple times previously, but who cares?  I love the game.  It's probably one of, if not my favorite side scrolling shooter.  I have a saved game of it on one of our computers in which I am up to the Sacred grounds (aka Hell) and have played it enough where it's not really even that much of a challenge anymore.  There is one last challenge I've yet to try.  Beating it with just the Polar star. 

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 20, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »

I am simply a big fan of the Paper Mario series over the different consoles.

Not just because they followed up on Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (another one of my all-time favorite games), but simply because of their latest venture being Super Paper Mario.  It's returned to its roots with an innovative battle system.

And there's this little dose of reality for some of those on GameFAQs out there:

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 20, 2009, 04:58:24 pm »
FFXIII is only a couple months away! And XIV is only a little more.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #1264 on: November 21, 2009, 08:14:27 am »
I ain't gonna spoil anything, but the 6th Assassins Tomb in Assassins Creed 2 is a pain in the ass. Be prepared.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1265 on: November 21, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »
I got New Super Mario Bros. Wii today.

It's terrific~ :3

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 21, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »
Anybody like rail shooters? I played about three hours of Dead Space Extraction last night at a friend's house.
Whoooooooweeee!

It's fantastic on co-op! Solo is a little bit difficult.

However, it's another good example of an "adult" title for the Wii. I have to buy it now.

:franky

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 21, 2009, 04:31:34 pm »

I have been waiting for the WiiWare version of Cave Story (with DLC! *wistful distant gaze...*) for a long, long time.  It should be released any week now.  (So they say.  :roll:)

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 23, 2009, 10:36:15 am »
I've been delving back into my nerdy Final Fantasy obsession and finally decided to start playing FFIX about 2 weeks ago. No offense to all of them "OMFGFFVIIFANBOIS" But in my opinion, FFIX blows FFVII out of the water. It has an awesome storyline, each character ties into the main plot some way or another, The amount of plot twists are just of epic proportions, and I've just gotten about 2 hours into disc 3. So for those of you who haven't touched a FF game since you either played FFVIII or X/X-2 because of the vast amounts of fail they emit, don't be afraid to get back into the Turn-Based fighting spirit and give IX a try. You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:28:10 pm by Dark3mx »

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 23, 2009, 01:57:15 pm »
Dark3mx wins the awesome award of the day.

Despite the fact that FFIX overshadows FFVII in every way (except for, maybe, gigantic swords), most people still cling to FFVII like a life-support. Is it just nostalgia, or something else? I honestly don't understand fanboys, and if I bring up the fact that there might be a game simalar but just as good, or better even, they go for my throught.
Imagine telling someone who liked Super Mario 64 quite a bit about Banjo-Kazooie, and watching her ignore you, then proceed to send you hate-mail.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1270 on: November 23, 2009, 05:38:53 pm »
FFIX is my favourite game, and an absolute joy to play over and over again. Everything about it is beautiful. I long for the day it gets a glorious remake.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 23, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »
I long for the day it gets a glorious remake.

Eh, I wouldn't want a remake of this gem seeing that a lot of Squeenix's remakes end up being an overkill. And why fix something that's not broken anyways?

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #1272 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:32 am »
I just downloaded Super Mario Kart from the Wii Shoping Channel. And I must say that the game has aged poorly. It feels way too slow, and the controls don't feel right. But on the plus side there's no overpowed Blue Shell to make the game unbalanced.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 24, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »
I've been replaying the Mario & Luigi series, and now I'm remembering what made them stand out in my mind as great. All three in the series have there ups and downs ; for example, Superstar Saga's battle system seems a little slow compared to the other 2, but the music is much, much more memorable and fun to listen to, compared to Bowser's Inside Story, which has a fast and fun battle system but somewhat annoying music.
All Mario RPGs are great to me because the action element added into battles and exploring breaks the monotony of turned based battles. Plus, there's no random encounters, always a plus.
If you haven't played a Mario RPG, or just want to play an RPG with a little extra, you should definitely pick up Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga (GBA), Mario & Luigi : Partners in Time, and/or Mario and Luigi : Bowser's Inside Story (NDS).

By the way, I totally agree that the Blue Shell sucks ass.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #1274 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:01 pm »
FFXIII is only a couple months away! And XIV is only a little more.

I am not interested in XIV, but XIII is looking fairly fantasitic. The first new gen console final fantasy that looks stunning. I am guranteeing that I get this game.

The battle system looks teriffic as does the graphics, I hope it's storyline can match my standards... At least come somewhere close to FF VII, which is the best IMO, sorry Dark3mx.

Anyway, it looks teriffic.