Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194157 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1230 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:38 am »
www.darkdaysarecoming.com
As a rule of thumb, I never get hyped about MMOs.
'

you should look up their advertising scheme.  Perhaps one of the single best advertising schemes ever made.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 14, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »
Yeah, that game looks / sounds pretty wicked... It seems a little too advanced for most people's computers, though...

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:46 am »
Their strategy is very viral and very intense.

Their first piece of information was an email from "A friend" which contained a document with a poem on it that said:

A grim, odd arcane sky
Any god, I mark sacred
A masked cry adoring
A dreamy, sick dragon

Eurogamer posted this on their website and the people who read it started commenting, and eventually figured out that it was an anagram because all 4 lines consisted of the same characters.  The anagram was discovered to be both "Dark Days Are Coming" and "Dark Demons Cry Gaia". 
These turned into urls:
www.darkdaysarecoming.com
www.darkdemonscrygaia.com

People then went to the former and found a second puzzle.  People went to the latter and found an empty forum, which eventually became the official forum and the nexus of all further clues (those members registered got emails of more clues puzzles etc).

http://www.crygaia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dark_Days_Are_Coming  this page describes the extent of what happened...

...and this is just the beginning, too.  THeres alot more.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 15, 2009, 02:55:58 pm »
Ogre Battle 64.  I love the jont.  It's nice and calming.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1234 on: October 07, 2009, 10:40:41 am »
Renowned RPG (/good games in general) developer teams up with respected anime artists and composer for an RPG on a jam-packed cart...

http://www.destructoid.com/biggest-ds-cart-yet-4gb-for-ghibli-level-5-rpg-151120.phtml

Now, Level-5 isn't Square or Enix...wait, they did Dragon Quest VIII, the Professor Layton series & Jeanne d'Arc (this one, unlike the others I've only heard is good)? Oh, yeah...and Studio Ghibli isn't Akira Toriyama...wait, they're probably MORE respected worldwide now than Toriyama? Hmmm...Could this turn out to be a modern day Chrono Trigger/Dream Team people (/I) have been waiting for...? idk what "another system" means though...that kinda threw me off unless they just mean DSi and the trailer came out at a funky time or something, idk...

I'm not doing a regular posting thing, but this reminded me of CT (admittedly more in spirit than anything) so much I had to do a quick drop-in...

On a related note, is Toriyama like the Kevin Bacon of Japan or something? It feels like I could seriously seven-degree him to almost any person or project or something...>_>

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:50 pm »
FINALLY! An RPG to quench the era lameness!

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 07, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »
I just have to say it.  Scribblenauts=Awesomeness on many many levels.  Where else can you beat a level in which you are supposed to get a cat off the roof by burning the house?   :D

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:57 pm »
I just have to say it.  Scribblenauts=Awesomeness on many many levels.  Where else can you beat a level in which you are supposed to get a cat off the roof by burning the house?   :D
I absolutely adored that game, I followed it from its first media break to release. When I got it it was what I was expecting and had a blast just messing around....7 hours later I was bored out of my mind and was trying to find something new but wait that's all the game is!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »
I've been playing this WiiWare title called Onslaught. I really like the controls. It's a first person shooter, but the wiimote is the gun, the sight, and the "joystick" if this were Halo or something. Physically moving your hand the direction you want to look in incredibly less confusing and more immersive, even though the graphics are sub-par, the game is fun as hell! Also, since we have someone here NAMED Onslaught, I felt it was particularly relevant.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1239 on: October 16, 2009, 12:51:48 pm »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 19, 2009, 09:20:03 pm »
Have any of you guys played Brütal Legend?  D's been waiting for it to come out for ages.  He just finished it and said it was amazing.  I'm really excited to play it over Thanksgiving break.  Although I'd be excited to play any game Tim Schafer makes.  Day of the Tentacle and Psychonauts are fantastic.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1241 on: October 20, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »
I played the demo. It was a lot of fun. I don't really have the time for it right now, or else I'd have gone out and bought it as soon as it came out.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1242 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »
I've been in Florida and with access to a 360 with a bunch of FPS's (& the RPG trying to be a FPS Fallout 3)...Fallout 3 is a really nice experience with a touch of nostalgic Falloutedness (Bloody Mess=hooray!). I've been playing it nice-nice so far but I'm thinking of making a new game with a Melee-centered evil character. Ah, I almost forgot about Dogmeat...Almost done with Halo 3 on Heroic as well. If anyone wants to add me, btw (I've just got a temp account for now), go ahead. I'm V Translanka.

Also played a Guitar Hero & Rock Band for the first time. Beat Legends of Rock on Normal. I've concluded that songs you know/heard of are still better than songs you've never heard/dislike. Who knew?

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:19 pm »
Just found out about a sequel to Okami coming out for the DS sometime...

I hope it's as good or can at least live up to the Okami style and storyline.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:47 pm »
(& the RPG trying to be a FPS Fallout 3)...

You have that backwards.  It is a FPS trying to be an RPG.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:19:10 pm by V_Translanka »