Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194663 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 21, 2009, 06:26:57 pm »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 22, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1202 on: August 23, 2009, 03:14:21 am »
There's an easy solution to that, y'know: GET ONE! :lol:

*sigh* I just got ANOTHER DS RPG...This time Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled. I got it mostly because it was such a small file since it's very 2D along the lines of SNES. The graphics remind me a bit along the lines of CT (and so far there's one special attack that seems to have a circular, range-based target even). Though I've heard that it's mildly infamous for freezing or w/e on people's actual DS's, so I'm wondering what all I'll have to deal with (so far just a bit of glitchiness during the opening graphics)...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 23, 2009, 06:11:31 pm »
I need to get back into Black Sigil. The graphics and music are fantastic in that magical old-school way, and it's got tons of atmosphere. On the other hand the encounter rate is simply atrocious; there's just no excuse to go through that the entire game. I don't remember Final Fantasy VI being that bad, but maybe it's just been awhile.

*Black Sigil Spoilers, maybe*
I'm holding out on judging Black Sigil's story. It started out really well and begins with what could have been a nice twist with the main character's step father trying to off him via convenient accidents, but then the main character is transported into a completely different world in a scene that smacked far too much of Deus Ex Machina for me. Still, it would have been top-of-the-line circa 1994, and I need to pick it back up and see where it goes. I'm told it has a very good story even by today's standards.
*/spoiler*

I can't help but compare Black Sigil to Crimson Echoes with regard to post production. There are bugs in Black Sigil that never would have made it into the public version of CE (there's an entire tech missing in Black Sigil, I kid you not); and I think Graffiti Entertainment really held back Studio Archcraft in terms of advertising. Seriously, compare Black Sigil's adverts to Crimson Echoes' adverts. Had Studio Archcraft been in charge of its own advertising, it could have come up with something far more enticing I think; but such is the way of working with publishers I suppose.

If I'm inspired enough by Black Sigil over all, I might just do a proper preview video for the game to show up Graffiti Entertainment on principle. The key to good advertisement, I think, is something Ramsus told me during CE post production: be minimalistic, don't worry about super special effects or text inserts on the video editing side (that will only distract viewers from the source material), and just focus on driving home the source material's merits.

I'm really just inexplicably plugging a James Cameron film here, but I think Cameron has Ramsus' sense of advertising principles.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:16:00 pm by FaustWolf »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13:06 am »
I, and a friend of mine, have become obsessed with becoming very good at the game E.D.F (Earth Defense Force) for the SNES. For those of you who do not know what it is....

I will simply put that it is a side-scrolling space shoot-em-up that is almost harder than the popular Ikaruga title.

E.D.F....ah...memories. I used to own it. Now we only play my friend's copy, that he found in a game store that sells old games.

Looking for a copy of Chrono Trigger there as well. They have several rare games every once and a while....(rarely, but it's worth the wait and look.)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1206 on: August 26, 2009, 12:40:53 pm »
http://www.qj.net/Level-5-unveils-new-DS-RPG-Fantasy-Life/pg/49/aid/134103

"The reason for the striking similarity is that Brownie Brown, the guys that helped HAL on Mother 3, are the same ones that are developing Fantasy Life. What's more, famed Japanese video game composer and musician Nobuo Uematsu is said to be laying out the music for FL."

Reason enough to look forward to it.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 01, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »
I just completed all 135 puzzles of Professor Layton & the Curious Village. It's a really good game. Lots of interesting puzzles, some I've heard or seen before, some I haven't. They range from, "wtf, is that even a puzzle?" to more mind-numbingly difficult...I played the PAL version, so a few of the puzzles were different and all the puzzles that involved distance or measurement were in the metric system, though that wasn't too difficult to figure out (why the U.S. never decided to switch is stupid regardless of signs having to be changed)...I mostly sucked at the math stuff, even when the math was stupid simple (though most of the ones that appear to involve math really don't)...Overall there's a nice enough storyline going along as well, nothing incredibly surprising (I was expecting more from a detective story), but kind of touching & a bit cutesy...

Anyways, good enough to warrant checking out the sequel that just came out, Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box (I'm guessing there's some exploration of the G-Spot or something)...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:23 pm »
I only just heard about the new Mega Man game coming out in Japan in November: Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star. Apparently there's going to be some time traveling allowing Geo & Omega Xis (WarRock is a totally cooler name) to go back in time to Lan & MegaMan.EXE's time. The battle system is also apparently going to be more Battle Network rather than Star Force, which is cool. There's going to be a playable demo at TGS this year as well. Can't wait!

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/exe_oss/index.html

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »
Landed myself a copy of Millipede for my FC Mobile II (a new, portable NES system). Other than my Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt game, I've been playing it nonstop.

And I've learned to hate the Hammer Bros. in world 8-3 of Super Mario Bros. I had forgotten how annoying they were.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 05, 2009, 03:40:58 am »
I only just heard about the new Mega Man game coming out in Japan in November: Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star. Apparently there's going to be some time traveling allowing Geo & Omega Xis (WarRock is a totally cooler name) to go back in time to Lan & MegaMan.EXE's time. The battle system is also apparently going to be more Battle Network rather than Star Force, which is cool. There's going to be a playable demo at TGS this year as well. Can't wait!

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/exe_oss/index.html
:picardno Another stinking Mega Man EXE game.  The time they spent on that they COULD have been working on a Mega man legends 3!  Sorry, just Capcom frustrates me with the Legends series and I need to vent occasionally.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 05, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
Does the same team from Legends work on the EXE & SF games...? And the EXE series was pretty good. Though I really liked the Legends games, I thought the battle system for EXE was far more engaging. Too much of Legends was circle & shoot, though they fixed some of that with 2...

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 06, 2009, 02:15:04 am »
Just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy (rather, my mum bought it for christmas).

I wonder how it will turn out compared to the original Metroid Primes before they decided to remake them.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2009, 05:02:14 pm »
Can i please get a brief synapsis of Black Sigil, if you dont mind? =D

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile