Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194685 times)

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1170 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:30 am »
And there's definitely nothing obtained from fighting Omega Weapon in FF8. The Proof of Omega and a Three Stars really isn't worth being hit by that devastator attack he has that WILL kill you if you're not invincible.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1171 on: August 18, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »
Persona fans prepare to shit yourselves.

Persona 3 is getting ported to the PSP.
http://www.qj.net/Famitsu-reveals-Persona-3-for-PSP/pg/49/aid/133921

Further details reveal that the male main character is still in it, and the new female character has a different version of his Persona, Orpheus. It's speculated you'll be able to choose between genders, supported by the presence of a male version of Elizabeth in the Velvet Room.

Scan showing both MCs, Personas and the Japanese release date(?) http://i30.tinypic.com/2dmf668.jpg
Male Elizabeth...? http://img23.imageshack.us/i/1250578417810.jpg

UPDATE: Famitsu translations revealed/confirmed some stuff.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Persona 3 Portable, an enhanced port of the original PlayStation 2 version, has been announced by Atlus for the PlayStation Portable for release in Japan on December 1, 2009; a Western release of the game is not yet announced.[1] The announcement in Famitsu reveal that the player will be able to select a female protagonist as their playable character alongside the male character. This selection will alter some aspects of the game; the first Persona gained by the protagonist, Orpheus, will be female if the female protagonist is selected, and a male version of the Velvet Room's Elizabeth will be used. The gender choice is also expected to alter some aspects of the Social Links. In addition to the new character, some elements from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 will be added, such as the ability to control each party member in battle.[37]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:59:47 pm by FaFniR »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1172 on: August 18, 2009, 02:47:59 pm »
Yeah, I never bothered with Omega from VIII because it was so close to the end that I was like eff that, I just wanna see the ending! And I was glad too because VIII has one of the best endings in the series. I remember I kept beating it to show my friends (who were understandably somewhat less impressed by it).

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1173 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:01 pm »
PS3 Slim announced.

http://www.qj.net/PS3-Slim-confirmed-dated-and-priced/pg/49/aid/133936

First week of September release explains all the stores suddenly making offers and trying to shift away all the regular PS3s in stock.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:37 pm »
Yeah I don't think anyone will by the expensive PS3 slim, and not the inexpensive PS3 standard. The best thing about VIII is the fact that anytime you fight a ridiculous boss like the WEAPONS, all you have to do is give Aura to Selphie then get her to double digit hp, that way she can use The End. Really I got that spell like 12 times in game because of that. The weapons in VII were easy once I realized that Quadra magic and Bahamut Zero are the best combo ever, other wise ruby will counter. Also I like this video, It's not a hack either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovxL1wdjtI&feature=related

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 18, 2009, 05:33:01 pm »
Your Male Elizabeth scan isn't working. I noticed that they skipped Persona 2.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1176 on: August 18, 2009, 07:55:22 pm »
Your Male Elizabeth scan isn't working. I noticed that they skipped Persona 2.

Ugh looks like whoever uploaded the image deleted it. And yeah, that's a shame they're not doing 2 (presumably). :( Although maybe it's just to catch 3 in the peak of its popularity or something... 2 is bound to show up, and I imagine the fact it comes in two games caused some second thoughts about remaking it just yet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:57:01 pm by FaFniR »

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1177 on: August 18, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »
Yeah, I never bothered with Omega from VIII because it was so close to the end that I was like eff that, I just wanna see the ending! And I was glad too because VIII has one of the best endings in the series. I remember I kept beating it to show my friends (who were understandably somewhat less impressed by it).

I thought it was the best ending in the series period. I especially loved the cliffhanger at the end with the "did he or didn't he" kind of thing going on. It leaves it ambiguous.

It all depends on how strong you believe love is as to whether Squall lives or dies.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:37 am »
The PS3 slim will have the same price cut as the regular PS3 is getting...

I was also impressed by VIII's ending because it was so long that it actually felt like I had finally earned something worth watching (especially after VII's lackluster 'ending').

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:22 am »
It all depends on how strong you believe love is as to whether Squall lives or dies.

Really, is that one not left clear? And I thought that with the whole 'wanting to record it but the camera ran out of battery' thing, it was obvious.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:50 am »
I liked IX more. It did a similar thing then it suspensefully gave you the best answer ever!

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1181 on: August 19, 2009, 11:33:55 am »
I didn't care for 9. I felt the ability system needed a little more polishing. It was a little hard to understand.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:50 pm »
i was quite fond of nine, actually. the ability system was quite intriguing.

so im officially addicted to the chrono series. i loved trigger, which is why i find myself here. but i recently played chrono cross, as well as radical dreamers. having watched the crimson echoes videos, the game makes much more sense than i think it would have. im totally writing squareenix a letter asking them to make a new game, or at least consider it.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 19, 2009, 01:20:02 pm »
IX had some of the best character development in the series, but I thought the main story wasn't as interesting and Zidane was mostly a Locke-wannabe for 90% of the game...I don't know what's hard to understand about the ability system though...Equip & learn...It wasn't my favorite, but it kind of put more of a focus on making sure you were making good use of Zidane's Steal command (which makes sense when you've got a Thief as the main character)...They reused it to much less pleasant results in the FFTA series...

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 19, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »
The story was difficult to understand because Garland didn't want to explain everything to you, he just wanted to ramble on. I liked the ability system, but it would have been better if you could learn all the abilities with every character. Zidane=Locke is so over said. Locke and Zidane have a lot in common I'll give you that, but Zidane is original in story which I care more about. The personality is great to me because we didn't get to see a lot of Locke in FFVI.