Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 195137 times)

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1140 on: August 06, 2009, 02:49:16 am »
I started playing Locke's Quest for DS the other day. Got it on ebay for $10. It's quite nice! The graphics are well done, stylus controls are easy, makes use of both screens. The dialogue / story is totally run of the mill, but it's really just an in-between link for all the strategy battles / maps. Very nicely polished.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 06, 2009, 06:29:47 pm »
Recently I rented Kirby superstar ultra for DS.  A good game, but I'm glad I didn't buy it because I practically did everything except get all the treasures on the great cave offensive.  (I hate that thing)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1142 on: August 06, 2009, 11:28:31 pm »
Recently I rented Kirby superstar ultra for DS.  A good game, but I'm glad I didn't buy it because I practically did everything except get all the treasures on the great cave offensive.  (I hate that thing)

Ha, same with me (though replace rent with emulate)...I didn't get as far on the DS version, but I hear that there's new stuff once you've done more unlocking...I personally didn't like the new mini-games as much as the old ones (which I hope are part of available unlocking)...

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:59 am »

Ha, same with me (though replace rent with emulate)...I didn't get as far on the DS version, but I hear that there's new stuff once you've done more unlocking...I personally didn't like the new mini-games as much as the old ones (which I hope are part of available unlocking)...
I think the only mini games from GBA games are the samurai Kirby thingy and the one about chopping bricks.  I think it's like Megaton punch or something.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 07, 2009, 02:27:11 am »
I'm not currently playing but after learnign Yasunori Mitsuda did the soundtrack and learning it was an RPG, I think I'm gonna give Tsugunai Atonement a try. Anybody play it before?

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1145 on: August 07, 2009, 02:41:10 am »
HAHA! Oh the irony and hubris of youth...

A friend of mine told me about TA a few years ago....but we both promptly dismissed it as a "serious" RPG on the grounds that neither Nobuo Uematsu or one of the other famous Squeenix composers(although in all honesty, I can't remember any of their names) were composing the music of it.

I swear, I was such a self-proclaimed "connoisseur" back in the day. Rather obnoxious in retrospect.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 07, 2009, 02:46:09 am »
So... what is that?

Yes/ No?

I've read reviews and generally they say no. But then again I've found reviews also told me Master Chief is a good comparison of awesome to Samus.

So I'd rather take advice from someone who's played it or just take the risk.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1147 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:26 am »
Unfortunately, no.

But, hell, why not give it a try!? Screw reviews, they gave FFX a higher rating that Katamari Damaci!

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 07, 2009, 02:54:49 am »
I decided to give a look see at his other works and was surprised to find certain games under his work.

And to help stay on topic the one that stuck out the most as surprising...

Bomberman 64 the Second Attack. not many know of it, and not everyone liked it. I quite enjoyed the game. Dunno if it's cause I played with a friend who at the time was raving Bomberman fan and helped make the experience a blast of just my tastes. I know the music was one thing that drew me in(most notably Aquanet 2)and now i know why! CT music maker=BM642 music maker. Who knew?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:01 pm »
I finally got Suikoden Tierkreis and I'm pretty pleased with it so far, I guess...I'm not sure why I thought it was a SRPG for so long though as it so clearly is not (very standard turn-based RPG, which is actually what I've been looking for)...One thing I don't like about it is *SUPRISE SUPRISE* the voice overs. You can't even turn them off! It's not for every bit of speech like walking around talking to NPCs, but it seems to be quite a lot so far. It just reinforces my dislike for them because I so often do not agree with the actors' choices in emphasis...

Oh yeah, and they repeat the Tidus rename mistake that FFX made...Why bother allowing renames?? It looks especially stupid when you see the name you input in their speech balloons and they just skip it in the voice over (or in case of exclamation they just like grunt or something...>_>)...I understand allowing for player creativity, but I don't want it to be at the expense of immersion (every time I see the name and hear it audibly skipped I get bumped out of the story). Just give him a name, dammit. I'm not going to care too much if it sucks...or else let me turn off the damn dub!

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:47 am »
I'm currently playing through the .hack//G.U. series for the first time. I'm on Volume 2, about 7-10 hours in, and at level 61. I got the Doppelganger's item in the previous volume as well. I just finished the second round of the Holy Palace tournament.

I finished all GU and got all doppelgangers's itens but i haven't finished the last part of the first series which was quarantine. It took me so much time to find that one since is out of production here in Aus. But GU is better after paying it i don't fell like playing the old ones anymore :p.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 13, 2009, 10:07:16 am »
Of the bajillion or so games on my list of currently playing, Suikoden Tierkreis is the one that's managed to actually keep my attention (hopefully not just because its one of the newest). I can already tell how big the cast is going to get as well as how high levels are going to get (already almost at 20)...Anyways, it's pretty fun, but they did that stupid Tidus thing again...TWICE! Once for your group name (I went with "No Fate") and then again for your castle name (I chose "Pathfinder")...So, yeah, I'm still kinda wishing I could turn off voices...I could read it & its just fine when it's at a non-voiced over part, but to hear them read over and around these things is so damn stupid I just wish they had given them default names I couldn't change...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:15:58 am by V_Translanka »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1152 on: August 15, 2009, 09:17:54 am »
http://pokebeach.com/2009/08/heartgold-and-soulsilver-in-spring-2010

HeartGold & SoulSilver announced for a US/Europe release in Spring '10.

Probably pre-ordering my Japanese copy of SoulSilver today.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:25:01 am by FaFniR »

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1153 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02:43 pm »
Damn it! I JUST bought Diamond!

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 15, 2009, 12:06:28 pm »
I'm going to buy platinum when I GET a job (because I have the money, just not a flow of it)

And preorder HG (not japanese! pfft!) when I can.