Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192832 times)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1125 on: July 28, 2009, 04:14:02 am »
Yeah.  That's the main thing I'm worried about.  In some ways I wish it would just do that so I could know 100% that it's a bad cartridge.  We found out because the cartridge itself isn't shiny like the real one, it's transparent on this one, and the label is different.  Oh, and the number on the back is the wrong number.
I just had exactly the same thing happen to me, with a copy of FFV for GBA / DS. Only paid $10 plus a small shipping fee thankfully, but it had the same sort of precarious cosmetic defects about it. That, and it didn't play. Just said there was no game pak inserted. I knew I was in for bad news when I saw  the return address from China, seeing as the seller had been listed as from San Fran. Hopefully I can get a refund. :picardno

Oh well. Still got Golden Sun to kick around with. Quite playful, but a good nostalgia feel to it.
THe odd thing is that it was from a site I know to be good and I made sure it was not from China or some place like that.  I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in America.  Well, I'll probably try to contact the person within the next couple days.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1126 on: July 28, 2009, 02:01:04 pm »
I've spent some time in the past week playing Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. A very good game, in my opinion. Really brought out the RPG in Mario, aside from the Paper Mario series and Super Mario RPG.

An overall good game, I must say. A lovely style to it, especially the battle system. Not to mention the storyline. Very good plot, with a insanely interesting twist to it. Not to mention, comical! It still brings me great humor when Luigi freaks out over something simple, or the expressions of the characters look goofy and cartoon-ish.

An all-time classic, it has become.

I loved the first, the second I haven't played much of. Look forward to the third game in early September.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1127 on: July 28, 2009, 02:35:12 pm »
Partners In Time was basically more of the same (x2! or is it x1.5? w/e...there are baby versions of them you also control)...Not bad, but nothing really outstanding. The Mario RPGs are nice, alternative & actiony RPGs.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 28, 2009, 02:42:05 pm »
Personally, I liked Superstar Saga better than Partners in Time. To me, PiT seemed like they did too little with the present day, and too much to make the past aspect a reliable storyline.

Not to mention they removed the most amazing aspect of battle, Bros. Moves (for those of you who do not know, special attacks that incorporated Mario and Luigi tag-teaming an enemy in a fantastic display of cooperative attack techniques and splendid sprite-age) and replaced them with Bros. Items, which did not have the same pizazz as the Bros. Moves, and the older bros. could not use hammers like in the previous game...which made it seem empty.

Mario and Luigi 3: Bowser's inside story looks good, but I'm worried about the fact that Mario and Luigi will not be incorporated as much as the previous titles, having their game-play mostly inside of Bowser and mostly 2-D (I love platformers, but the 2-D kind of takes out of Mario and Luigi RPGs.) makes it seem less....Mario and Luigi to me.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 29, 2009, 12:53:56 am »
I guess I could stick this in the frustration thread, but since I have an option, I'll go with not adding to that heaping pile.

I just spent 8 hours at the library d/ling Lunar: Silver Star for Sega CD and have no idea how to use it now...I'll have to look into this whole wacky ISO and Fusion/Kega SegaCD emulation a bit more I guess...V_V

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 29, 2009, 01:35:47 am »
Has anyone played BlazBlue? It's the 2D fighter I've been waiting for my entire life. Finally I can play a wonderful 2D fighter without it being a sequel in which vets would not give me a chance to land a blow. And if you're an RPG only guy don't worry, its story is amazing! Better than SO4's. Great character designs, most people know how I hate over designed characters and I say perfect amount of design. Also if want to get Hard Core its got that too. And the Story Mode is pretty replayable, and the only character that is annoying you can tell just by looking at him (Carl Clover).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 29, 2009, 01:46:14 am »
Isn't BlazBlue made by them Guilty Gear peeps? They've made themselves one of the most impressive new fighting game series of the last couple gens.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2009, 02:55:55 am »
Isn't BlazBlue made by them Guilty Gear peeps? They've made themselves one of the most impressive new fighting game series of the last couple gens.

Sure is. I play; the game is fantastic. It's my main fighting game at this point, which means after Monster Hunter, it's probably the game I play most. Ragna is my main at the moment. Who do you all play?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1133 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:13 am »

Sure is. I play; the game is fantastic. It's my main fighting game at this point, which means after Monster Hunter, it's probably the game I play most. Ragna is my main at the moment. Who do you all play?

GAH I really wanna play BlazBlue, I recently sort of got into Guilty Gear (well, XX Accent Core on the PSP) and I'm loving it so far. BlazBlue looks so damn stylish. I'll need to save and buy a PS3/360 soon...

"Epic Mickey" concept art leaked:
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=91152
wat
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:03:39 pm by FaFniR »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »
Epic Micky? That's the first I've of that. Why is goofy made of pipes? Noel is my main, basically because I'd never imagined how a gun character in a 2D fighter wouldn't be the best character. And I put much time into her, but she is also a lot of fun to play as. Plus shes funny. I also use Rachel and Jin.

Her Specials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEycJWXRZQ&feature=PlayList&p=61FEC16C9FF06FF5&index=10
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:38:05 pm by ZealKnight »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
FUCK YEAH! TAKE THAT, EMULATION~!! With a little help, I managed to salvage Lunar: Silver Star! I've actually played the GBA Lunar, but I'm not entirely clear on how that fits into Silver Star & Eternal Blue (remake or some such? *shrugs* maybe I should have looked into this first...)...I haven't gotten far, but so far it looks like a really good SNES-era game, only there's some voice over (so far I've only heard the flying rat and it isn't good VO...V_V) work during a couple cut-scene thingies...YOUR SOUL IS MINE, SEGA CD/FUSION EMULATOR~!!!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 29, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
GBA Lunar is Silver Star but with slightly changed story, though even more compared to the PSX version. Never got far since I went for the latter instead.

But only occasionally playing. Last thing I did was entering that tower near the thieves' town, and that was weeks ago. I may play it more frequently now, though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:19:13 pm by Acacia Sgt »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1137 on: August 05, 2009, 06:12:40 am »
So I finally start playing Red Alert 3.  My friend's brother works for EA games and got me a copy.

Seems pretty fun so far. I'm playing the Soviet side first, if I get around to beating it, I'm doing the Empire's side. The only reason I didn't do them first is cause I heard that most of their maps are water-based and I'm not a huge fan of water combat...

So far other than all the new slutty-looking women (I swear Yuriko is the ONLY one who doesn't look like a sex symbol >_>), my only real complaint is that the maps are too large and I can't really find a way to zoom-out... Otherwise, I hope I don't end up staying up all night playing this like I did Yuri's Revenge. What a freaken weird game that one was. I went up to the moon to fight for mother Russia...

SuperSlash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 06, 2009, 01:50:52 am »
I'm currently playing through the .hack//G.U. series for the first time. I'm on Volume 2, about 7-10 hours in, and at level 61. I got the Doppelganger's item in the previous volume as well. I just finished the second round of the Holy Palace tournament.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 06, 2009, 02:13:46 am »
Great, I was about to go to the Frontier in Lunar, and the game freezes, every single time the cutscene ends.

Well, I think I'm done with the game unless I find a way to solve the problem. In the meantime, I'm back to Fire Emblem, now playing FEBinary, a hack of GotHW. Compared to the original, it's very different in some ways (though the story is the same anyway).