Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192734 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1110 on: July 20, 2009, 02:07:32 am »
Lately I have been playing nothing but Fire Emblem games (well, with an exception here and there).

I may probably play through Radiant Dawn again. I'm not sure if I can still use my Path of Radiance file again for the data transfer, but just in case I copied it before, to be able to do it a second time. (Since there is no way I will play through Path of Radiance again, especially not if Chapters 8 and 13 barely allowed me the first time... and let's not start with Chapter 27...)

I'm still not sure if I would try to recruit Lehran or not. Well, I will see while playing.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 20, 2009, 02:45:41 am »
Lately Ive been experimenting with Ragnarok Online (J but E patched) And I must say, It's a really decent RPG. It gives you the feel of an MMO with the fighting system and the Graphics are quit complimentary to each other even though the game has 2D sprites but 3D maps.

;;heh;; Just today I remember one of the most awesome SNES games I had ever played called Arkanoid. It's like the Brick Breaker game commonly found on Cell phones but a lot better. I decided to venture back into my space traveling brick shattering past and play this title on my DS (not the DS port of Arkanoid, the SNES version) And It really brings back memories of playing CT, the DKC games, and even Link to the Past.

Lo and behold, I went out to my garage today and found a box with my Super Famicom and all of my original SNES carts XD.  but anyways, I strongly recommend that ANYONE try these games, they are really addictive.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1112 on: July 21, 2009, 06:41:23 am »
I believe Arkanoid is older than 16-bit...I think it was one of the original Atari arcade machines even. Or else around that same era. Good enough game to while away some time with.

I just got Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (NDS) again. Its a great puzzler (Bejeweled-like battles)/RPG that's a good time waster with an oldschool RPG feel (though very much NOT an oldschool RPG).

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1113 on: July 21, 2009, 07:14:53 am »
Lately I have been playing nothing but Fire Emblem games (well, with an exception here and there).

I may probably play through Radiant Dawn again. I'm not sure if I can still use my Path of Radiance file again for the data transfer, but just in case I copied it before, to be able to do it a second time. (Since there is no way I will play through Path of Radiance again, especially not if Chapters 8 and 13 barely allowed me the first time... and let's not start with Chapter 27...)

I'm still not sure if I would try to recruit Lehran or not. Well, I will see while playing.

I looooooove the Fire Emblem series so much! I need to get the wii version of it at some point now that my wii is finally region-free.  Which FE game do you like the best? I think I like 7(the very first version released in the US, just called "Fire Emblem") the best because the story was very interesting and I liked the characters from that one the most... though my favorite character in all the games is Joshua and he's from 8 . My favorite class is the Myrmidon. I tried playing a bit of Fire Emblem 3 at some point. It was kind of basic and I'm not sure if I want to continue that or not...

But before I get to that, I need to really start playing Twilight Princess. My problem is that I lost my nunchuk a good while ago and I need to buy myself a new one considering the wii version requires a nunchuck >_>;.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 21, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »
Which FE game do you like the best?

That will be Genealogy of the Holy War, the fourth game. It would be for the story, I think it's one of the best in the whole series.
I had problems at some parts (especially back in Chapter 9), but comparing to some other hard situations I had on the other games, it was nothing.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 21, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
I believe Arkanoid is older than 16-bit...I think it was one of the original Atari arcade machines even. Or else around that same era. Good enough game to while away some time with.

It was originally an arcade game that was later ported to the Atari, then during the SNES era was ported to the Super Famicom as Arkanoid: Doh is Again, named after the boss you face multiple times. Now Arkanoid got ported to the DS but completely ruined the classic feel to it.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 21, 2009, 03:02:58 pm »
I am currently on a Drakengard kick right now. I mean uber-completion of both games.

I know there's sort of a popularity rift between the two games. The story in Drakengard 1 was fucked up on so many level, but it was freaking awesome. The gameplay and other stuff, not so much.

On the other hand, 2 significantly improved just about everything about the original game... but the story was somewhat weaker.

What are everybody's thoughts?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 26, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »
Well, I finally decided to give Fire Emblem a break. And now, I'm with Super Robot Taisen OG now.

Still with SRPGs then, though. Anyway, I consider it harder than FE, thought that is since I'm trygin to get all those Skill points. Yeah, especially when destroying units that retreat when their HP reaches certain %. Good thing I can use supports to my advantage.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:06 pm »
Well after like 4 or 5 years I finally got Pokemon Fire red.  But when I actually get it I realize the one I got is counterfeit.  It hasn't had any problems yet, but I can't help be a bit frustrated. 

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1119 on: July 26, 2009, 10:27:46 pm »
Well after like 4 or 5 years I finally got Pokemon Fire red.  But when I actually get it I realize the one I got is counterfeit.  It hasn't had any problems yet, but I can't help be a bit frustrated. 

Sorry to say it, but it's likely the data will randomly become corrupt... Get a refund if you can.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 27, 2009, 02:02:06 pm »

Sorry to say it, but it's likely the data will randomly become corrupt... Get a refund if you can.
Yeah.  That's the main thing I'm worried about.  In some ways I wish it would just do that so I could know 100% that it's a bad cartridge.  We found out because the cartridge itself isn't shiny like the real one, it's transparent on this one, and the label is different.  Oh, and the number on the back is the wrong number.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 27, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »
I am so close to completing Persona 3! I am on January 5, and am pumped to clean house with Nyx. Damn I've got 13 S.Links maxed and two others at half and one at one, ALL of the request except for a few of the fusion ones and the reaper are finished.

Question: does this have a new game plus feature like Persona 4?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1122 on: July 27, 2009, 05:28:37 pm »
I am so close to completing Persona 3! I am on January 5, and am pumped to clean house with Nyx. Damn I've got 13 S.Links maxed and two others at half and one at one, ALL of the request except for a few of the fusion ones and the reaper are finished.

Question: does this have a new game plus feature like Persona 4?

13 links finished? That's quite an accomplishment for one game, I had way less done. I regret not being able to finish Aigis's, I had it at level 9 on the game's SECOND-LAST day. Get ready to spend 45+ minutes on Nyx, although if you're level 80+ or so you shouldn't have too much trouble. It's all very smooth-going until its trump attack (think of the random status-inflicting Grand Cross from Final Fantasy and you have an idea of it) in the last third of the battle, which really catches most players off-guard. Also, protection from Charm on your healer/s is very recommended. If one gets Charmed they'll heal Nyx back to full health, wasting your whole battle.

Never finished the Reaper myself... It's Persona 3 FES so Monad isn't open until AFTER beating the Reaper... which is retarded considering I kinda need it to level up and kill the damn thing in the first place.

Yeah it has new game plus. I think the only difference from P4's new game plus is that it carries over your main character's level (which I personally find stupid since it destroys any difficulty the game would have).

I'm the opposite, actually; in P4 I'm in the last dungeon (for the normal ending anyway); I sort of fell out with it for a while due to the random Megidolan-spamming enemy that cost me over an hour of progress. I'll finish it... sometime.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:30:54 pm by FaFniR »

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 27, 2009, 09:31:18 pm »
Yeah.  That's the main thing I'm worried about.  In some ways I wish it would just do that so I could know 100% that it's a bad cartridge.  We found out because the cartridge itself isn't shiny like the real one, it's transparent on this one, and the label is different.  Oh, and the number on the back is the wrong number.
I just had exactly the same thing happen to me, with a copy of FFV for GBA / DS. Only paid $10 plus a small shipping fee thankfully, but it had the same sort of precarious cosmetic defects about it. That, and it didn't play. Just said there was no game pak inserted. I knew I was in for bad news when I saw  the return address from China, seeing as the seller had been listed as from San Fran. Hopefully I can get a refund. :picardno

Oh well. Still got Golden Sun to kick around with. Quite playful, but a good nostalgia feel to it.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 27, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »
I've spent some time in the past week playing Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. A very good game, in my opinion. Really brought out the RPG in Mario, aside from the Paper Mario series and Super Mario RPG.

An overall good game, I must say. A lovely style to it, especially the battle system. Not to mention the storyline. Very good plot, with a insanely interesting twist to it. Not to mention, comical! It still brings me great humor when Luigi freaks out over something simple, or the expressions of the characters look goofy and cartoon-ish.

An all-time classic, it has become.