Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194500 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 16, 2009, 08:19:36 pm »
So I'm playing through Tales of Vesperia...I haven't gotten very far in, and I've gotta say that for all the hype I've completely lost interest in this game. The characters, the story, all are utterly uninteresting to me. Just regurgitated RPG plot x 100 that I've seen a thousand times before.

Usually either an RPG's story or characters will grab me and pull me into the game very early on. But not this time. I'm going to play this game for a couple more hours and hope that it gets a whole hell of a lot better, eitherwise it's back to the game store with it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1051 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:28 pm »
Agh, hope ToV improves for you, I'm really looking forward to it... It's (FINALLY) released here in just over a week. Nearly a year after the US. Christ.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 16, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough, but (so far) it is incredibly cliche, with boring ass characters and lame locales and dungeons. The towns themselves are utterly uninteresting with very limited exploration possible, which makes the entire setting of the story feel cramped and even more linear than it already is.

Maybe I'm just biased after getting done with Mass Effect, but I guess I just expect RPG's to be better than this nowadays.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1053 on: June 17, 2009, 03:30:20 am »
I'm not very far into it myself, but I've been playing Cave Story as well, and it's really good. I'll probably pick it up on WiiWare when it comes out there, if only as a sign of support.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #1054 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:57 pm »
I just went back to playing Kingdom Hearts after 3 years, Kingdom Hearts, not Kingdom Hearts II, which I consider to be the worst of the two.
Only this time I'm playing with the hardest level scheme on Expert with only the Kingdom Key, so essentially as hard as you can get the game. And I'm getting my ass handed to me.
It's fun.
FFVI is probably my favourite classic after CT, and seeing as the re-release often sells for over $60 I figured it was too good a chance to miss.

Sixty Dollars? Jesus, I bought my GBA port for fifteen bucks at Gamestop!
...Unless it's Canadian money, but still. That's quite a bit of money for a port. Even a good one of an excellent ga- Wait, I spent almost the Same on CTDS. Damn, now I'm a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:25:04 pm by HyperNerd »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1055 on: June 20, 2009, 12:43:29 am »
When RHDN first came back up I picked up the fan translation of Dragon Quest III for SFC/SNES that I saw and am so far blown away...This is over the 3rd time and the 3rd incarnation of DQ3 that I've attempted to play and it will be the final! I've already tried the Famicom/NES and Gameboy versions and this is by far the best looking...I'm going with a non-Mage team currently: Hero (M), Thief (F), Dealer (F) & Jester (F). So far I haven't hit any roadblocks though having a Jester is sometimes annoying, the others more or less pick up the slack, though I end up relying on the Hero to heal sometimes...I guess gold isn't scarce since I can Save State cheat the monster arena fighting betting...

After firing up and realizing that ZSNES may be the only emu I currently have that will work, I also picked up Star Ocean, which I've previously tried to play 3 times. My mistake was making 3 games at the same time (in order to see multiple character branches)...This time, I'll just do one and deal with whoever I get or don't...

This also made me get Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka "Secret of Mana 2")...Which I've tried to play through over 6 times...I'm not sure who I'll go with quite yet though...

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 20, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »
I'm currently playing through Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All for the first time, just got to case 4. I hope this'll pick up the slack of the other cases in the game, all of which were horribly boring. I went ahead and picked up Trials & Tribulations along with Apollo Justice, and I'm making myself play them in order.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 20, 2009, 08:44:14 pm »
There's...an attorney game? What will those crazy Japanese think of next?

This also made me get Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka "Secret of Mana 2")...Which I've tried to play through over 6 times...I'm not sure who I'll go with quite yet though...

Man, I remember trying to beat Seiken Densetsu 3 and getting stuck several times, then saying "fuck it" and giving up. One particularly frustrating time was when you have to fight some sort of giant boss in a moonlit city or something. But then again, maybe that was really easy and I just sucked horribly at SD3. It was a long, long time ago.

If I were you I'd just stick with the awesomeness which is the first Star Ocean and leave SD3 for later.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1058 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:25 pm »
I'm currently playing through Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All for the first time, just got to case 4. I hope this'll pick up the slack of the other cases in the game, all of which were horribly boring. I went ahead and picked up Trials & Tribulations along with Apollo Justice, and I'm making myself play them in order.

Yeah, the second game/JFA is widely considered the worst of the series... I especially dislike the circus case. You'll be glad to know, however, that JFA ironically has the best case ever as its last one. T&T is awesome, and AJ is pretty great too, except for the rather obvious fact some bigwigs in Capcom demanded Phoenix be shoved back into the spotlight for half of the game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1059 on: June 20, 2009, 11:51:11 pm »

Man, I remember trying to beat Seiken Densetsu 3 and getting stuck several times, then saying "fuck it" and giving up. One particularly frustrating time was when you have to fight some sort of giant boss in a moonlit city or something. But then again, maybe that was really easy and I just sucked horribly at SD3. It was a long, long time ago.

The REAL frustrating part (hey, wtf thread am I in again?) about SD3 is farming for seeds in the later part of the game...You have to farm for your final class change AND your optimal equip! It's a pain in the ass because you'll pick up items you don't need, can't use with your class (or intended final class), or are intended for characters NOT EVEN IN YOUR PARTY!!! Maybe I'll hold off on SD3 because I'm fairly sure I'd be stuck in FAQ hell with it again just to decide where I want to go class-wise...It still rules as a game, though!

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 21, 2009, 12:08:15 am »

Yeah, the second game/JFA is widely considered the worst of the series... I especially dislike the circus case. You'll be glad to know, however, that JFA ironically has the best case ever as its last one. T&T is awesome, and AJ is pretty great too, except for the rather obvious fact some bigwigs in Capcom demanded Phoenix be shoved back into the spotlight for half of the game.

Tact plays AA:JFA Case 4!:

T: WAS THAT EDGEWORTH WAIT GO BACK I WANNA SEE EDGEWORTH AGAIN GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK

*blah blah blah Nickel Samurai*

T: i thought the last case was supposed to be exciting what the hell

*Words, words, words*

T: Oh god this game suucks so much shit why can't I just move on to Trials & Tribula-

"THIS IS A KIDNAPPING"

T: FUCK YES THIS IS THE BEST CASE EVER

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 21, 2009, 02:14:10 am »

T: WAS THAT EDGEWORTH WAIT GO BACK I WANNA SEE EDGEWORTH AGAIN GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK

*Words, words, words*

T: Oh god this game suucks so much shit why can't I just move on to Trials & Tribula-

"THIS IS A KIDNAPPING"

Yeah JFA wasn't that great until case 4.  That still reigns as my second favourite AA case.  Although I haven't played Apollo Justice.  Number one is still case 5 from Trials and tribulations.  Both of those I just thought were really good finishers for the games.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 21, 2009, 02:30:59 am »

*Words, words, words*

"THIS IS A KIDNAPPING"

I LOVED THAT ONE!

I am play T&T right now actually.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1063 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »
God you guys are making me want to go back and replay T&T.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 22, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »
http://www.scribblenauts.com/

I think this game has the power to re-instill my love for my DS. I play a few games on it still but nothing in a while has really made me say WOW! This game though looks impressive, and it the same team as Drawn-To-Life.