Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192784 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #945 on: March 24, 2009, 11:39:43 am »
Persona 3 if you're cool with PS2 emulation.

Will I be able to understand and follow it? I haven't played any previous entry.

Yeah, each one is unconnected 'cept for the occasional reference or easter egg. 3 can be played standalone.

Sweet I'll definitely give it a try. Is 3 better than 4?

Arguably. Most say 3's better, probably because it's longer than 4. Make sure to try Persona 3 FES though, as it's the expanded version (a few extra social links, building relationships doesn't take as long, exams require less studying, alternate costumes, and a 30+ hour playable epilogue that provides some answers to the ending).

4 I have to finish, but so far I'm finding it just as good, although 3's plot was certainly more gripping for me.

Oh, and if you want the main character's 'official' name (it's semi-official really since the manga adaptation named him), it's 'Minato Arisato'.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 26, 2009, 09:47:10 pm »
Just wrapped up FO3s second DLC "The Pitt".  This one was pretty damn good.  Had a bit of a hiccup with the bad version XBL started with, but it was fixed yesterday and I spent most of the night and this morning on it.

Starting with the visuals of the new area, they were fantastic, as Bethesda was known for.  Seems it trades out the sepia tones of the main game with fiery orange tones for this industrial hellhole.  The environment was much better than the main game as well, giving you a large new area to explore very thoroughly, and I mean very.  Climbing towers, jumping from rail cars, crossing large pipes at fatally high altitudes, you name it.

This also brings up another complaint about the game though, the jumping physics.  Seems if your are near a wall or walking downhill or even walking a bit uphill you CANNOT jump right!  In a quest where being able to jump around to dangerous platforms is a required skill, you'll likely find yourself doing as I did and saving the game before each potentially fatal leap.  It's really hard to describe how bad the jumps are in this game, it's just incredibly stingy and slippery.  Most of the time if you try and land on a small ledge you'll take a gigantic step forward while landing, often leading to death.  Very annoying mechanics at work there.

On to section two of my final thoughts, the enemies.  The only new enemies are the Trogs really, and they didn't really seem that remarkable to me.  They pretty much seemed like Feral Ghouls walking on all fours with potbellies.  Ugly things, really.  One thing that can be said for them though, is they are sneaky as hell.  One second I'm picking up ingots the next some psychotic naked mutant man is trying to claw the back of my head off, and you never hear them coming.  Other than that, standard human enemies.  I was really hoping for more new creatures to fight too.

Section three, the quests.  There's really only three main quest parts for the expansion, and one side quest.  Quest one: go to the Pitt (Easy), Quest two: work and fight in the Pitt (Fun an Easy), Quest three: Pick a side (Most interesting part), Side quest: hunt for metal (Actually fun).  There's a few branching options for the first two main quests, like whether you're going to sneak in disguised or just barge in guns blazing, but like most of the core game's quests these options lead back to the same concusion, you get inside and lose all of your gear temporarily.  The final quest is the most interesting, as you choose which group you help, the slave laborers, or the raider overseers, and I have to say that this part of the quest really is as advertised.  Things aren't exactly what they seem and there's definitely a lot of ambiguity over which side of the conflict is good or bad.  On that note, well done Bethesda.

For the side quest, it's pretty much a standard collect items fare, but unlike that Goddamn Nuka-Cola quest from the main game this one is actually fun and can be completed in about an hour if you're lucky.  This is where most of the jumping and exploring I mentioned earlier comes into play, and I was surprised at how nice it was to do this quest.  The rewards for getting all 100 items are fairly nice too, with nothing too game breakingly awesome, but good too have nonetheless.

So all in all I enjoyed this one, despite the glitched version XBL first had available.

Now, back to Lost Odyssey!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:50:07 pm by FouCapitan »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 27, 2009, 12:18:58 am »
Okay, so I found what I hate more than the structure of GotHW's chapter maps, and it's Manfloy, after finishing with the First Generation.

And I'm sure I have yet to see the worst.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #948 on: March 27, 2009, 12:38:42 am »
And I'm back to FFVII! Restarting the game.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:27 pm »
Name Aeris 'Sephiroth'.

LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 28, 2009, 12:31:24 am »
Name Aeris 'Sephiroth'.

LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF.

Sounds almost as fun as naming everyone in CT Lavos.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 29, 2009, 05:38:51 am »
Pardon the double post, but got some early development news on Mass Effect 2.

Some video footage, hooray!  Seems they're going deeper into the civilized colonies in this one, and it's looking good so far.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57916

Anyone else here a fan of the first game?

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 29, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »
Just beat CTDS for the second time in less than a month.  My sister thinks I'm crazy.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #953 on: March 29, 2009, 03:36:38 pm »
I did it Three times in a Month.
Yes, I did.
And I beat Mother 3 twice in a month, too.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #954 on: March 29, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »
But was it on new game plus or just a regular game? If you're going by regular games, I did it twice. New Game+... I lost count.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:04 pm »
One was normal one was new game+.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 30, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »
XBOX 360 or PS3? I will decide today for sure.

So far, I think the pros of the XBOX 360 beat out the PS3 pros. The Blueray is a nice selling point, but the lack of many games that I love, including rpgs, on the PS3 right now is a major turn-off. I know it won't be that way in the future, but I am impatient.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »
I have no complaints with my 360. Xbox Live is the only thing that keeps me gaming anymore.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »
Bought the 360. I'm excited. Got a bunch of games too, including Star Ocean 4. We'll see how that one turns out. I've been craving a decent RPG lately, and my expectations are high, so I hope it doesn't let me down.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:00 am »
Bought the 360. I'm excited. Got a bunch of games too, including Star Ocean 4. We'll see how that one turns out. I've been craving a decent RPG lately, and my expectations are high, so I hope it doesn't let me down.

360 RPGs to try.

1.  Lost Odyssey.
2.  Blue Dragon.
3.  Enchanted Arms.
4.  Tales of Vesperia.

Also Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect if you want some roleplaying games with a western flare to them.

You on XBL Eric (Or anyone else for that matter)?  Feel free to send a friend invite.  My name here is my name there.

Welcome tot he X-Party!