Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192719 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #870 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:34 pm »
I just borrowed .Hack//GU 1, 2 and 3... Are they good? Decent? Terrible? I'm not really expecting to get any replies, but they would be nice, please...
I've only played .hack//INFECTION. Great game, if you ask me. Hurts your head a bit, though. I mean, come on! It's a game about hacking a game!

Almost as freaky as .hack//SIGN. That's just messed up.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #871 on: March 08, 2009, 02:31:19 pm »
I've also had Star Ocean 3 for a while, and started it yesterday... Finally, a main character I can sympathise with... All he wants to do is play video games but his girlfriend won't let him!!!!

And thanks for the replies, everyone.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:25 am »
I just borrowed .Hack//GU 1, 2 and 3... Are they good? Decent? Terrible? I'm not really expecting to get any replies, but they would be nice, please...
I've only played .hack//INFECTION. Great game, if you ask me. Hurts your head a bit, though. I mean, come on! It's a game about hacking a game!

Almost as freaky as .hack//SIGN. That's just messed up.
I actually enjoyed that anime, although it was a very surreal experience at certain points in the plot, and understanding the backstory behind the games and such helps loads.  Wonderful soundtrack to that one.

Anyways, I've just picked up an interesting gem from XBox Live Arcade.

Triggerheart Exelica.

Premise of this game.  Cute anime girls fitted with flying robot suits blow the shit outta enemy armies!

Sounds simple right?  At a first glance, it is.  Then it quickly transforms from being a simple scrolling shooter to an intricate dance with a couple thousand bullets at a time, setting this game into a subgenre that some like to fittingly dub "The Bullet-Hell".

Bottom line, this game is freaking fun.  If you're looking for a great modern day top scroller shooter, (or if you really like anime robot girls  :oops:) this is definitely one to look into.  Seems daunting at first but once you get the flow of the game down it's pretty intense.  Plus it's only about 10 bucks  :D

On top of that, I can't think of any other shooter where you can actually throw your enemies.  The game has an anchor line attack that allows you to concentrate fire on ground or boss targets, or actually grab and sling enemy ships, turning them into projectiles.  So much fun.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:59:15 am by FouCapitan »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 09, 2009, 08:41:48 am »
I can't wait til Elder Scrolls 5.

I bet placidchap can, though.

Haha, yea I can wait...forever.  OHHH how they raped Fallout!>>!>1!!!!!  Not to say I didn' t play Morrowind or Oblivion, mind you...but they were both an empty and forgettable experience.  Their game making is the equivalent of Chinese food.  OHHH, How I loathe that company and their douchery.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2009, 04:12:19 am »
I can't wait til Elder Scrolls 5.

I bet placidchap can, though.

Haha, yea I can wait...forever.  OHHH how they raped Fallout!>>!>1!!!!!  Not to say I didn' t play Morrowind or Oblivion, mind you...but they were both an empty and forgettable experience.  Their game making is the equivalent of Chinese food.  OHHH, How I loathe that company and their douchery.

I thought it was great, and I don't know any reviewer that gave it lower than a 9.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:37 am »
I thought it was great

Of course you like it, it was made for you and gamers like you.

I don't know any reviewer that gave it lower than a 9.

It's called hype.  And its also called "I want to keep being friends with big company." 
And there are reviews out there that did give it less than a 9.

They really should have made their own post apoc. IP.  They did not do the series justice.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:46 pm »
I Really liked Fallout 3, but I loved Fallout 1/2. Game play mechanics I can easily adapt to, they didn't hurt the game in any way I felt. Now the only draw back was a significant one: Humor. Fallout 3 did have its moments but it over all was lacking very much. The atmosphere, design, feel was quite accurate.

FouCapitan

• Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2009, 05:24:43 pm »
They really should have made their own post apoc. IP.  They did not do the series justice.
They did the series fine.  Clean off those nostalgia goggles once in a while.
It's called hype.
I had zero hype going into this game.  My brother wanted it for Christmas, I got it for him.  A month or two later I asked him how it was.  He described the gameplay mechanics and such to me and I thought it was something that I could get into.  Two weeks ago I found out he was right.

I was so hyped for this game as you can see I tell you. :picardno
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:28:36 pm by FouCapitan »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2009, 08:58:14 pm »
Actually when playing the game I, and my friends as well, thought that it would have been better if they made it there own instead of part of the Fallout series. It didn't rape the IP but I wouldn't say it did justice either.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:12 am »
I've also had Star Ocean 3 for a while, and started it yesterday... Finally, a main character I can sympathise with... All he wants to do is play video games but his girlfriend won't let him!!!!

I also could sympathize with Fayt a lot, but not for those reasons. I think that's one of the reasons I like SO3 so much. I hate it in RPGs when a main character is too heroic to where I am left thinking "now there's no way in hell I would have made that decision".

There aren't really any spoilers here but:

Fayt's decisions throughout SO3 (for the most part) make sense. He's just a kid trying to survive after being thrown into a world where the level of technology is over a thousand years before his own. He makes moral choices but they aren't overly heroic and they make sense from the viewpoint of a scared kid. Finally, through constantly being forced to fight to protect his friends or die he reaches the larger moral choice of actually being concerned about the welfare of the people living in the world he is stuck on. That makes sense too.
It doesn't go directly to - "fuck yeah I've got a big sword now let's save the world!". That's what I find so endearing about the Star Ocean series. I'm hoping Star Ocean 4 follows suit. I can't wait to play it.

And thanks for the replies, everyone.

You're welcome.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:40 am »

Did you ever play the original two games?  All the way through?  And you say that Fallout 3 is in the same class as either 1 or 2?

I am open to change, no need to clean off any goggles.  They just did not do the series justice.  They fucked it, period.  They don't have the creative skills to come up with a good Fallout game.  They turned it into an action based wandering game, for those who like Halo, Gears of War and Left 4 Dead or their Elder Scrolls games, not for those who like the Fallout series.  I don't have a problem with those action/FPS games or gamers, except when they encroach upon an already existing franchise that has nothing to do with them and then go convert the bloody thing into one of their breed.  Fucking make your own or buy one that is already that kind of game.

As for hype...I was talking about the reviewers and so was Jutty, not Joe Blow off the street, so I don't see where you are going with that.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:56 pm »
Okay recently I got a DS flash card(yes a legal one) And got the PC version of Sonic Mega collection on it.  I have to say, Ristar is awesome.  It doesn't look like it would be that fun yet somehow it is.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #882 on: March 11, 2009, 02:34:36 pm »
Okay recently I got a DS flash card(yes a legal one) And got the PC version of Sonic Mega collection on it.  I have to say, Ristar is awesome.  It doesn't look like it would be that fun yet somehow it is.

The flashcard itself isn't the ethically (and at times, legally) problematic component. Did you purchase your copy of the Sonic Mega collection? If not, the legality of your flashcard does not absolve you of having used it for piracy.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 11, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »

Did you ever play the original two games?  All the way through?  And you say that Fallout 3 is in the same class as either 1 or 2?

I am open to change, no need to clean off any goggles.  They just did not do the series justice.  They fucked it, period.  They don't have the creative skills to come up with a good Fallout game.  They turned it into an action based wandering game, for those who like Halo, Gears of War and Left 4 Dead or their Elder Scrolls games, not for those who like the Fallout series.  I don't have a problem with those action/FPS games or gamers, except when they encroach upon an already existing franchise that has nothing to do with them and then go convert the bloody thing into one of their breed.  Fucking make your own or buy one that is already that kind of game.

As for hype...I was talking about the reviewers and so was Jutty, not Joe Blow off the street, so I don't see where you are going with that.

I have played Fallout 2 and loved it. I know this game isn't directly true to that, but it's still a fine game. If it wasn't for Bethesda their wouldn't be a Fallout franchise anymore. It's not an action game it's still an rpg, but I can see how it could be a letdown for someone expecting the traditional atmosphere, but Bethesda never promoted it like that it was widely known that it was going to play like the Elder Scrolls series. Anyway Dragon Age Origins is coming soon you should keep any eye out for it. I can't wait for it personally.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:45:29 pm by Jutty »

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 11, 2009, 04:34:52 pm »
I'd prefer that Fallout remained in the grave to be honest.  They created what they do best; a light on story (minimal and/or poorly written), FPS action/adventure game with RPG elements.  A game with those features is not inherently bad (considered I played the two previous Elder Scrolls for a couple weeks before stopping cold turkey), but when they are applied to a franchise that is none of those things, you end up with pissed off fans of the original IP. 

This question is open to anyone:  What if the Chrono series was bought by a company (such as Beth) and turned it into a first person, adventure-wandering game with RPG elements and a weak story that does not come close to the original two games?  Would you be pissed or would you welcome it with open arms, saying "Thank God someone finally made another one."  Or would you rather that company make their own time travelling, dimension crossing series?