Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192770 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #840 on: February 27, 2009, 09:29:12 pm »
Star Ocean 4 is supposed to be a prequel right? Gosh I'm tired of prequels after #3 in series... Just like Suikoden, f**k they can't make a sequel after #3? I liked Suikoden 4 a lot even though it was 150 years before Suikoden 1, but when Suikoden 5 came out, I was so disappointed when I found out it was 6-8 years before Suikoden 1... *grumble* Enough with the prequels dammit! *sigh*

I'm not entirely sure on the story for SO4...I've heard prequel, but after the events of SO3, I think it might just seem like a prequel because they basically restarted the universe, right?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »
No, it is literally a prequel to SO1. It takes place before the events of SO1, when mankind first sets out into space.

And after the SO3, they didn't restart the universe so much as "reboot" it. Everything was exactly the same, but they were cut off from 4D space.

I actually liked the story and setting of SO3 a lot, unlike most people. But SO4 is looking to be pretty impressive. I'm excited about the story returning to Roak, and about the ability to actually travel between worlds at will on your ship. I'm hoping it will feel a little less linear.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:40 am »
You'll be able to go to Roak? I thought it was that the setting was that you'd be thrown back in time survive the trials leading up to the landing on Fargett?

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:46 am »
I am thinking of getting a 360 whats good? I am already look at maybe buying BioShock, Eternal Sonata, Dead Rising, or Fallout 3.
Fallout 3 is pretty addictive.  Also Oblivion if you like that style of RPG.  Blue Dragon is excellent, as is Lost Odyssey for the RPG fare.  Also, though it had mixed reviews, I loved Enchanted Arms.

Tales of Vesperia is good, although I'm not too far into it, so I can't say anything for the story.  The gameplay is very reminiscent of the others in the series.

The Force Unleashed is, IMHO, the best post-SNES Star Wars game I've played so far.

Soul Calibur IV is another from my library that I enjoy.

Fable II is...  Good, but short and easy.  The final level left too much to be desired.  (Still have yet to play the expansion)

GTAIV is another one I have mixed feelings for.  It's good, it's fun, but it grows old fast for me.  Gameplay is better than Vice City and San Andreas, story is weaker though.

There's also a few guilty pleasures to be found, like the Dead or Alive series, and one fun gem in my collection, Conan.  A good R-rated hack and slash game similar to God of War and the like.  A good game to satisfy a thirst for blood, tits and violence.

For shooters, Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2 (Especially fun with 2 players), Army of Two, Dead Space, F.E.A.R series, etc.  So many to choose from if that's your thing.

I do want to try Eternal Sonata myself.  Played the demo, and the battle system seems okay.  Can anyone here vouch for that game?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #844 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:02 am »
The Miles Edgeworth game Gyakuten Kenji has a playable demo, check it out on the official site:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutenkenji/trial/index.html

Yeeees I know it's only in Japanese so far, for the impatient here's a fan translation from the lovely people at Court Records:
http://www.court-records.net/kenjidemotrans.htm

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 04, 2009, 02:04:33 am »
The Miles Edgeworth game Gyakuten Kenji has a playable demo, check it out on the official site:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutenkenji/trial/index.html

Yeeees I know it's only in Japanese so far, for the impatient here's a fan translation from the lovely people at Court Records:
http://www.court-records.net/kenjidemotrans.htm

FUCK YEAH

MILES EDGEWORTH: WALKAN ADVENTURES

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #846 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »
I didn't really dig on Edgeworth as much as it seems other people did...Gumshoe was okay, but I think Trials & Tribulations more made me want a Mia (still haven't really done any investigating with her) prequel game, though perhaps it would just be unnecessary since that whole Fey saga got played out in the end of Phoenix Wrights...

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 04, 2009, 06:26:35 pm »
I'm really looking forward to the English release, but I really wish they were doing more with court.  I mean this would be the first time when you get to lock people up.  Heh heh heh.  *Sigh*

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #848 on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:35 pm »
Well, GS5's still in development and GK's nearly done so expect new court battles soon.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 05, 2009, 01:22:52 am »
GS5?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 05, 2009, 01:27:20 am »
Japanese title, Ace Attorney 5.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 05, 2009, 10:57:51 am »
I am thinking of getting a 360 whats good? I am already look at maybe buying BioShock, Eternal Sonata, Dead Rising, or Fallout 3.
Fallout 3 is pretty addictive.  Also Oblivion if you like that style of RPG.  Blue Dragon is excellent, as is Lost Odyssey for the RPG fare.  Also, though it had mixed reviews, I loved Enchanted Arms.

Tales of Vesperia is good, although I'm not too far into it, so I can't say anything for the story.  The gameplay is very reminiscent of the others in the series.

The Force Unleashed is, IMHO, the best post-SNES Star Wars game I've played so far.

Soul Calibur IV is another from my library that I enjoy.

Fable II is...  Good, but short and easy.  The final level left too much to be desired.  (Still have yet to play the expansion)

GTAIV is another one I have mixed feelings for.  It's good, it's fun, but it grows old fast for me.  Gameplay is better than Vice City and San Andreas, story is weaker though.

There's also a few guilty pleasures to be found, like the Dead or Alive series, and one fun gem in my collection, Conan.  A good R-rated hack and slash game similar to God of War and the like.  A good game to satisfy a thirst for blood, tits and violence.

For shooters, Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2 (Especially fun with 2 players), Army of Two, Dead Space, F.E.A.R series, etc.  So many to choose from if that's your thing.

I do want to try Eternal Sonata myself.  Played the demo, and the battle system seems okay.  Can anyone here vouch for that game?

Don't waste your time with the Fable 2 dlc. Unless you still play it hardcore for some reason. The new content can be completed in a little over an hour. The only thing nice is the new armors. Also great game list, besides Army of Two :P.

FouCapitan

• Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:41 am »
Just started playing Megaman 9 a few days ago, and all I can say is.

Wow.  Capcom really made a jump to the realm of nostalgia there, and pulled off a surprisingly fun game.

Just one more robot master until Wily's lair for me.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »
Mega man 9 is probably going to be one of the first things I get on Wii ware if I ever get a Wii.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 05, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »
I can't wait til Elder Scrolls 5.

I bet placidchap can, though.