Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192801 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 23, 2009, 01:43:43 am »
Time, there was a huge amount of time between the Cetra first appearing, some Cetra stopping following their ways, and Jenova's arrival.

Now, if all happens in one planet, it makes sence the Cetra were killed. Had the Cetra moved from planet to planet, they would have been away from Jenova, and would have lived. Yet, without the Cetra, how does the planet would have lived?

Quote from: Sephiroth
The Planet was saved by sacrificing the Cetra. After
that, your ancestors continued to increase. Now all that's left of the Cetra is
in these reports.

The Cetra, then, must have only migrated within the planet, for them to be there when Jenova appeared.

Confirmed, the Cetra are originaly from the planet, and not from somewhere else.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 23, 2009, 09:04:40 am »
Quote from: Sephiroth
You ignorant traitor. I'll tell you. This was an itinerant race.
They would migrate in, settle the Planet, then move on… At the end of their
harsh, hard journey, they would find the Promised Land and supreme happiness.
But, those who stopped their migrations built shelters and elected to lead an
easier life.
They took that which the Cetra and the planet had made without
giving back one whit in return! Those are your ancestors.

Long ago, disaster struck this planet. Your ancestors escaped… They
survived because they hid.
The Planet was saved by sacrificing the Cetra. After
that, your ancestors continued to increase. Now all that's left of the Cetra is
in these reports.

For one, the reports are regarding a time period from millenia ago...facts can and usually are warped, to the view point of those that created the reports.
Maybe I am missing something but if the people of Spira don't travel until 1000 years after the events of X-2, then it could be theorized that their psyche evolves into that of which the Cetra have been described as having.  Shinra's descendants could have carried the Mako extraction idea through the centuries and at the same time evolved into the Cetra.  They then travelled through space, eventually coming to VII's planet, with Shinra's descendants, possibly among others, branching off from the nomadic tendencies of the Cetra (possibly changing their identity from the Cetra, to something else), as they found a planet that suits their desires, with an abundance of Mako.  Around that same time, Jenova comes down, blah blah, 2000 years later, etc
From the sound of it, VII's story takes place at least 3000 years after X-2.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 23, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
Wouldn't that mean that FFVII is only a 'dream'? Wasn't it said somewhere in FFX that Spira was a dream created by the people of Zanarkand? Forgive me I haven't played FFX in a long while.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »
No, it was the city itself, not all of Spira.

They then travelled through space, eventually coming to VII's planet, with Shinra's descendants, possibly among others, branching off from the nomadic tendencies of the Cetra (possibly changing their identity from the Cetra, to something else), as they found a planet that suits their desires, with an abundance of Mako. Around that same time, Jenova comes down.

Time, there was a huge amount of time between the Cetra first appearing, some Cetra stopping following their ways, and Jenova's arrival.

The two events didn't happened within hours of each other. And by what you said, the Cetra traveled from planet to planet, wich brings again to this:

Now, if all happens in one planet, it makes sence the Cetra were killed. Had the Cetra moved from planet to planet, they would have been away from Jenova, and would have lived. Yet, without the Cetra, how does the planet would have lived?

Again, if the people of Spira traveled to VII's planet, then they can't be the Cetra, much less Shinra's descendants can be the Cetra. When some Cetra stopped migrating, for what reason was? To use Mako as a source of power to their new way of life? The idea wasn't present in them at the time, so there is no way they can be Shinra's descendants.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:21:37 pm by Acacia Sgt »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:24 pm »
Would I be hugely flamed if I said I actually liked FF XII better than FF X?

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2009, 01:27:45 am »

Not by me.  I did too.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:50 pm »
What did you like about it? The main complaint I hear from people is that it lacks the character development that FF X had - and that's a legitimate complaint. But I felt like XII revitalized the series and the world was much more massive than X's (which I felt was way too tiny and constrained). Also the storyline and the cities in XII really drew me into the world of Ivalice, unlike X's storyline which I was mostly uninterested in, and the locales which I thought were hugely lacking.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:00 pm »
What did you like about it? The main complaint I hear from people is that it lacks the character development that FF X had - and that's a legitimate complaint. But I felt like XII revitalized the series and the world was much more massive than X's (which I felt was way too tiny and constrained). Also the storyline and the cities in XII really drew me into the world of Ivalice, unlike X's storyline which I was mostly uninterested in, and the locales which I thought were hugely lacking.

I don't really care about FFX's character development considering I hated almost the entire cast anyway.  I actually liked most of FFXII's main characters.

I liked FFXII's battle system.  Some people criticize it because the game plays itself apparently, although I've never been able to that on anything but normal monsters.  Maybe I just suck at gambits or something.  Either way, you're pretty much just spamming the confirm button through the majority of any Final Fantasy game anyway, so I don't see the big deal if the game does it for you.  FFX's battle system was probably more polished, but it had to take a step backwards (ATB --> Turn based).  FFXII took a step forward, and that was refreshing.

I also liked the fact that they decided to introduce new summons.  Even though the summons weren't all that useful, I liked their designs.  Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut are getting really old to me.

Another minor thing that I really liked about FFXII is the voice acting.  FFXII probably has the best voice acting in any game I've played.  The only problem I have with it, is the way they recorded it.  It kinda sounds like some of the characters have stuffy noses or something.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 25, 2009, 03:13:36 am »
Recently my brother downloaded Cave story and I gave it a shot and fell in love with it.  I always love shooter games with RPG elements to them.  Sort of like Megaman legends only 2D.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #759 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:59 am »
wtf is up with the Megaman Legends series anyways? When was the last installment? Didn't the last one leave us with some fairly big questions still?? I never played the Tronn game, so idk if that ever explained anything...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 25, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »
IIRC, Misadventures of Tron Bonne was the last game, unless you mean the actual storyline, then IDK, if not Misadventures, then Legends 2.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #761 on: January 25, 2009, 03:42:55 pm »
Yeah, I said when, not what...I know of the three games, I was more pointing out how long it's been since Capcom made a sequel (which is as far as I know against the Capcom code of business)...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 25, 2009, 03:45:49 pm »
For MegaMan Legends, right? I can check that. Just need to confirm.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 26, 2009, 12:10:33 am »
MMl2 ended on an annoying Cliffhanger, The misadventures of Tron Bonne takes place before MML1.  And no it doesn't resolve anything.  Except it really depresses you when you play MML1 and have to destroy the Gesselchaft.  In fact it couldn't really resolve anything because I think it came out between the 2 games.  Although I'm not positive about that.  Just pretty sure.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:12:20 pm by Delta Dragon »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 26, 2009, 08:42:58 am »

I just got my hands on the International Zodiac Job System version...and all of the text is in Japanese...dur...
Time to look into hex editing now...see if I have any chance whatsoever to make some kind of translation patch...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:52:27 am by placidchap »