Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192702 times)

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 11, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »
I want to buy it, but I can't find it. Anywheres.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »
Speaking of Re:CoM, has there been any sight of playthroughs of the English version?

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 11, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »
Not that I know of, everyone that I say to them that I bought the game, they're all like 'Oh really? That came out? But wasn't it for the GBA?'.

It was a complete surprise to me, I went to the local video game store, and I bought it right then and there. I'm on the 3rd floor and to Acacia Sgt, yeah getting high value cards are difficult to come by. I had the next floor right after Traverse Town, I made it into Olympus. Hades was soooooo difficult to beat, and annoying(with his high value cards). Stupid ass me is playing the game through Proud Mode, I was all cocky and stuff, until I got 10 minutes into the game, and I'm regretting if every second of it. haha

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 11, 2009, 05:21:17 pm »
I'm on Proud Mode too. The bosses aren't hard, actually, it was easier beating Trickmaster here than in KH. I blame it on the table being lower than in KH.

But now, Jaffar, was a different story. Six platforms now, I was constantly moving the camera to get Iago on the screen, then going from one platform to another, then changing when I had catched up to him at last. If it wasn't for the those green cards, it would have been even more annoying.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »
Has anybody played the game Rogue Galaxy on the PS2? It's a goofy, cartoonish RPG about space pirates that fly around in what is literally a normal pirate ship equipped with a rocket engine (why they don't all die from the vacuum of space is anyones guess). The story is rather cliche but the game itself is beautiful and really damn fun. Since I play RPG's for the story, it's not up there as one of my favorite RPG's, but I'd recommend it to anyone who is in an RPG slump and wants something new to play.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:58 pm »
Has anybody played the game Rogue Galaxy on the PS2? It's a goofy, cartoonish RPG about space pirates that fly around in what is literally a normal pirate ship equipped with a rocket engine (why they don't all die from the vacuum of space is anyones guess). The story is rather cliche but the game itself is beautiful and really damn fun. Since I play RPG's for the story, it's not up there as one of my favorite RPG's, but I'd recommend it to anyone who is in an RPG slump and wants something new to play.

I absolutely DETESTED that game. The battle system was so bland and repetitive I couldn't stand it.

But now that I think about it, I only rented it/played through the first chapter, so I don't really know...

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 13, 2009, 08:03:16 pm »
Never got in to it, my brother really liked it. My god the DMV quest pissed me off more then the real quests to the DMV does.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »
The battle system was so bland and repetitive I couldn't stand it.

Meh, personal choice I suppose. To me, it was much less bland than the traditional rpg/final fantasy click and choose and watch turn-based battle systems.

Never got in to it, my brother really liked it. My god the DMV quest pissed me off more then the real quests to the DMV does.

And yes, that part nearly ruined the entire game. They should have just cut it out.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #638 on: January 14, 2009, 12:20:31 am »
An RPG that really irritates me is Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. It's a really nice game, but the whole "use D skills too much and you die" thing was an absolute travesty. You can't even lower the percentage, so you have to keep this in check for the entire game. And even using the Dash function in the field fills it up. Worse still, the game encourages it; check this out:

Quote from: Wikipedia
One of these features is the Scenario Overlay (SOL) system. This system encourages the player to return to previous points in the game, restart the game, and/or replay the game in order to unlock hidden areas, view additional story scenes, and make the characters more powerful so that the player can deal with the game's considerable difficulty level.

It's more of a pain in the ass than it sounds.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »
Meh, personal choice I suppose. To me, it was much less bland than the traditional rpg/final fantasy click and choose and watch turn-based battle systems.

You mean the kind of battle engines that are centered around strategy and thought instead of mashing X and O repeatedly?

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 14, 2009, 10:23:18 pm »
An RPG that really irritates me is Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. It's a really nice game, but the whole "use D skills too much and you die" thing was an absolute travesty. You can't even lower the percentage, so you have to keep this in check for the entire game. And even using the Dash function in the field fills it up. Worse still, the game encourages it; check this out:

Quote from: Wikipedia
One of these features is the Scenario Overlay (SOL) system. This system encourages the player to return to previous points in the game, restart the game, and/or replay the game in order to unlock hidden areas, view additional story scenes, and make the characters more powerful so that the player can deal with the game's considerable difficulty level.

It's more of a pain in the ass than it sounds.

Indeed it is a pain in the ass. I have yet to see the end of that game. At first I thought it was a very horrible game, but I have come to appreciate it more. Although I do think that it killed the Breath of Fire series.. Such a shame.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:04 pm »

You mean the kind of battle engines that are centered around strategy and thought instead of mashing X and O repeatedly?

Which is why they are my most favorite. I like games like that. Although the category of Action-RPG is good too, since you have to think fast for many of those.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 14, 2009, 11:52:24 pm »
Kingdom Hearts Battle System pwns all other kinds, even CT's.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #643 on: January 15, 2009, 05:25:00 am »
Kingdom Hearts Battle System pwns all other kinds, even CT's.

Personally, I prefer CT's, Grandia II's, and Crisis Core's. KH's battle system feels too simplistic, whereas Crisis Core's feels like an expansion on it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:03 am »
What's with the Japanese & their wacky love of slots, though? Leave it to Setzer and maybe a mini game...