Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194481 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #585 on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:22 pm »
They should just do a Square-Enix vs Capcom fighting game. If you're going to do a fighting game, you might as well do it right.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #586 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »
They should just do a Square-Enix vs Capcom fighting game. If you're going to do a fighting game, you might as well do it right.

Sakura vs Lucca or Harle... my heart might not be able to take that much awesomeness.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 09, 2009, 11:57:56 pm »
I don't know who will be added if such idea were true. Maybe Arc from Terranigma or another from those old games.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2009, 03:07:40 am »
RANDOM FFVII LOOKING AT THE BAD ASPECTS OF THE GAME!!! I DON'T HATE IT, FANBOYS/FANGIRLS! DON'T HATE ME!!!

This is somewhat off topic, but FFVII is the most overrated game ever made. Seriously, Sure, It's good and all, but...  Confused People praise it to no end for all sorts of crap, The "Stunning" Graphics, The "Intuitive" Battle System...game, but no where near as what I expected it to be. If it got a regular FF Score everywhere, then I'd Praise it to no end, but because of how highly people regard it: The "Best" Game ever, it makes me look at it with some contempt. It's still a really good game, but it hasn't aged very well. Chrono Trigger was a billion times better, and Cross was just as good.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2009, 03:13:46 am »

Sakura vs Lucca or Harle... my heart might not be able to take that much awesomeness.

I think the main reason I'd love a vs Capcom game would be because that way they could do 3-man teams...!! You wouldn't have to choose between Lucca or Harle that way! Maybe the partner helper moves could be Double Techs or something for the Chrono Trigger characters! ^_^

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:57 am »
I think VII is a good game, among the FF's, it's in 5th place to me on most favorite.

Really, when I saw that spoiler at the end of Disk 1, I thought: 'I see, so that's the event many talked about.'

But when I got to the ending, I thought. 'What? All that talk about it, and in the end was useless?'

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 10, 2009, 03:18:28 am »
because of how highly people regard it: The "Best" Game ever, it makes me look at it with some contempt. It's still a really good game, but it hasn't aged very well. Chrono Trigger was a billion times better, and Cross was just as good.

Well, FF VII was certainly hugely ahead of it's time, and I think a lot of people still give it credit for that and consider it the "best game ever" as a result. I would disagree, but I can see where they are coming from. Additionally, for many people FF VII was their first RPG ever and so it has that "nostalgia factor" associated with it. These are both based on biases and shouldn't be used to judge a game, but I'm just saying I can see where people come from and why it is so hyped up.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 10, 2009, 03:19:34 am »
Maybe to them, but will it be the same for the ones who wasn't their first RPG?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:16 am »
In tribute to FFVII, I too (like HyperNerd) shall recycle my post from Zergplex's welcome thread...!

All FFVII pioneered was the use of FMVs...if you look back, the rest of the graphics were by no means any more advanced than other games of its time...

The Materia system was basically just the Esper system for every ability with the added bonus of negative attributes (h-hooray?)...? So much was just recycled FFVI...Materia->Espers...Magitek Knights->SOLDIER...Desperation Attacks->Limit Breaks...Kefka's awesome god of magic seraph form->Ol' Sephy-head's stupid angel missing a wing form...

FFVI did it all better.

Bringing up a game for the sole purpose of bashing it is stupid & kinda spammy, btw.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #594 on: January 10, 2009, 03:33:54 am »
I was talking about FFVII before, just giving an opinion. In the other thread I randomly posted in, I mentioned how I was most certainly unbiased. Like I said, FFVII Is a good game, but for people who are expecting OMG HOLY CRAPS THIS ARE LEET like I did, don't. It's good, but...  Then again, I doubt many people here are going to buy it... I just wanted to share my opinion, and feel like I'm being critisized for it. I wasn't bashing, per say, (By my definition of the word) but whatever.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 10, 2009, 05:08:24 am »
The Materia system was basically just the Esper system for every ability with the added bonus of negative attributes (h-hooray?)...? So much was just recycled FFVI...Materia->Espers...Magitek Knights->SOLDIER...Desperation Attacks->Limit Breaks...Kefka's awesome god of magic seraph form->Ol' Sephy-head's stupid angel missing a wing form...

But it's better to rehash something that was awesome in FFVI then to replace it with something that utterly sucks like in FFVIII, I suppose.

Chrono Trigger/FF VI/Star Ocean = three way tie for the greatest RPG's on the SNES. FF VI in particular is just so damned good that no FF since has even come close to matching it's badassness. VII was still a really good game, but comparing it to VI is like comparing bronze to gold. It's hard to make games as good as those three. Every now and then a gem will come out nowadays, but that's about it. The SNES was the pinnacle of RPG awesomeness.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 10, 2009, 05:15:28 am »
I'd probably add Tales of Phantasia, Breath of Fire II, Seiken Densetsu III, & Live-a-Live to those, but maybe they belong on a step below...*shrugs*

And I was perfectly fine with FFVIII despite the low amount of character development for the main cast...The Laguna storyline was awesome...and I think ZeaLitY might have something to say about liking Zell...:lol:

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 10, 2009, 09:26:39 am »
I really don't like FFVII that much. 1. Way too long. 2. Hate Randon Encounters ( That's one reason I prefer Cross) and 3. The best FF were X and VIII. And yes FFVII was overrated because of the 'graphics" which were revolutionary in that years. Overall is a good game but I really prefer shorter RPG with lots of replayability like Cross or Trigger.
I played it for about 9 hours an stop playing it but I cannot say anything else because I never beat the game.

FFVIII was the best one I played so far. But I didn't have the opportunity to buy the game.

BTW anyone now a decent PS3 RPG because I cannot find anything good. I heard that Eternal Sonate is a good one but I am not sure.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #598 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:55 am »
They're Australian?

Oh fuck's sake, I was gonna make that joke.

Personally,
FFIX -> FFVI -> FFIV -> FFX -> FFVII -> FFV

I need to finish VIII sometime...

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #599 on: January 10, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »
I heard FFVIII Sucks. Care to tell me why it's good? Also- HOW CAN A GAME BE TOO LONG!!!?? It's means you're getting more out of your money! If i spent 60 bucks on FFVII and it was only 30 hours long, I would KILL.