Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192711 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2009, 07:16:41 pm »
Funny, I would equate Tactics with VI and not IX. IX was great, but I wouldn't put it's story equal to Tactic's. Tactic's was a masterpiece.

And both FFV and FFVIII are very good games. FFVIII is extremely tedious because of the battle/stat raising system. In fact it can be downright infuriating at times (especially when you miss a summon spell for good because you forgot to draw it from a boss  :x) You'd probably like it though since you seem to like FF. It's in a very futuristic setting.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #526 on: January 08, 2009, 07:22:11 pm »
Cool! I've never played the one on PSX, and probably never will. I tried the SNES one, but my emulater killed it.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 08, 2009, 07:31:17 pm »
Killed it how? With graphics glitches? Because if that's the case, then it is an easy fix and I can PM you how to get it to start working perfectly.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #528 on: January 08, 2009, 07:50:19 pm »
No, music cut out, game stopped moving, I restarted it and tried again, but the data was wiped.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #529 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »
I also got Metroid II, Star Ocean: Till the End Of Time, and Legend Of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

To me, The Return of Samus is simply the best Metroid I've played (I only haven't played the Primes)...Fighting all the forms of the Metroid was awesome. Lots of "holy shit!" moments when I'd come across a newly evolved form...

I love the Star Ocean series, but you will hear from many fans of the series that they hate Star Ocean: TTEOT. Have you played Star Ocean 2 on the PSX and the original Star Ocean (via ROM and Dejap translation) on the SNES? I'd recommend playing those first.

The original Star Ocean is also available via PSP remake titled Star Ocean: First Departure.

I thought TtEoT wasn't that great, but not because of the twist (omg! they're all Tidus!?)...It may have had something to do with me getting the lame characters (Peppita & Roger), I'd suggest not getting those two to HyperNerd...I'm not sure about SO2, but it seemed like SO3 had less character branches than the previous two from what I've heard...The pacing is also just dreadful and I don't remember disliking the battle system like I did in TtEoT....

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
It may have had something to do with me getting the lame characters (Peppita & Roger), I'd suggest not getting those two to HyperNerd...I'm not sure about SO2, but it seemed like SO3 had less character branches than the previous two from what I've heard...The pacing is also just dreadful and I don't remember disliking the battle system like I did in TtEoT....

Meh, the pacing was perfectly fine for me and the battle system is more or less identical to that in SO2 except updated slightly. Peppita and Roger are truly lame characters, however. I never get them on my play throughs so yeah Hypernerd, I second that suggestion.

Might want to spoiler alert that there in case Hypernerd figures out the reference.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #531 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:34 pm »
The Only reference I get is that They're all from 1000 years past? Or something? Or they're all whiny as hell.
I'm playing FFVII First, so it'll take a while to get to Star Ocean. I'm at the second reactor, trying to figure out what the hell I should do next.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 08, 2009, 08:01:43 pm »
What reference?

And, yeah, I didn't play SO2...I generally don't like RPGs where I don't control everyone (I shouldn't have to train the stupid A.I. to not go head on (apply directly to the forehead) into fights they should know they aren't set up for...

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 08, 2009, 08:06:54 pm »
The plot twist reference. If he's played FFX it wouldn't be so hard to draw some conclusions about it. But he doesn't seem to care, so nevermind. It was just a suggestion is all.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #534 on: January 08, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
I'd advise taking Nel and Albel along.

Oh, and if you run into the scene where Adray (the 50 year old guy thrown in for the director's cut) joins you, RESET. For the love of all that is good, avoid him (it's an optional scene in Aquaria Castle's throne room if you enter at some point between dungeons). He has a buggy AI that stops him from attacking normally or doing anything useful (think the regular party AI stupidity except multiplied by 10), plus he doesn't appear in cutscenes or have any impact or anything. Also he's annoying and disgusting.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:27 pm »
And don't forget that if you get Adray you are potentially screwed from getting the awesomeness which is Albel.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:26 pm »
But I did spoiler that FFX reference...>_>

I got Adray too (didn't know he was avoidable...>_>)...he kind of reminded me of Jecht in appearance...a lil...:lol:

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:48 pm »
I also got ... Legend Of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages was quite creative for two GBC games. They should have made a third game.

And with that, it should then go in this order...

• Choose one of the Oracle games, play through it, defeat the Final Boss, and watch the ending. You get a password to continue Link's adventure.
  • Take that password to either one of the two games you did not pick.
  • Input the password for Chapter 2, which is different than that game being Chapter 1, play through the game, beat the Final Boss, watch that game's Chapter 2 ending. You get another password to take to the last game.
  • Input the Chapter 3 password, which is different than the game being either Chapters 1 or 2, beat the Final Boss.

[spoiler]
  • After the battle, you realize that Zelda was captured by Twinrova while you were fighting. Now that the Three Evil Flames are lit, they can sacrifice Zelda to revive Ganon. With the powers of the Three Oracles, you go to the Room Of Rites, track down Twinrova, defeat them in a two-part Boss Fight, and then they offer themselves in place of both Zelda and Link (when they assume their second form, they voice their decision to sacrifice Link in place of Zelda) to revive Ganon. The only problem is, Ganon's mind didn't come back with him, so now he's crazy. Kill him again, and this time watch the True Ending.
[/spoiler]

• True to the real Oracle series, beating Chapter 3 gives you a Hero's Quest Password, which puts a Triforce under your Death Count (location verification required), and lets you start over at Chapter 1 with 4 hearts instead of three, like when you start Chapters 2 or 3.

NOTE: Sorry if this was confusing, but it is very complex.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 08, 2009, 08:19:30 pm »
There was going to be a third game, but it got cancelled.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:24 pm »
In that case, it shouldn't have been canceled. Any idea why they did that?