Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192671 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2009, 12:53:23 pm »
I'm close to finish Sealed Sword. After, I think I'll continue with Re:CoM.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2009, 12:56:12 pm »
I recently dug out Age of Mythology.  My brother got it like last year but we played it very little.  I can't decide if I like it better than Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds or not.  I think they're made by the same company and they're the same kind of game.

I don't know age of mythology was made by Esemble Studios from Microsoft. Same studio that made Age of Empires. So I don't think that miscrosoft made that Star wars Game.

Age of empires and Age of Mythology were both made by Ensemble.  Star wars was made by Lucas arts but it used the Age of empires engine.  Just looked it up.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2009, 01:04:51 pm »
I'm considering posting a MASSIVE list of Video Games that I own here

Unfortunately the topic says "Video Game Discussion", not "List Video Games You Have!" (do not make this topic now).

How different is Re compared to the original CoM...? I just can't really imagine it being a PS2 title...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2009, 01:10:01 pm »
Hey, Pyt?

Quote from: Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2, when Sora "Approach"es him
What is Cloud doing?

Um... yes?

:picardno

Read the quote.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2009, 01:16:35 pm »

How different is Re compared to the original CoM...? I just can't really imagine it being a PS2 title...

It's good so far. I find it hard, but only because I have yet to find high value cards, and that the whole 3D thing makes me turn the camera too much in battle. And that Sora sounds like in KHII, despite being the same age as in KH. Well, it was too late for that one.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2009, 01:23:09 pm »
Hey, Pyt?

Quote from: Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2, when Sora "Approach"es him
What is Cloud doing?

Um... yes?

:picardno

Read the quote.

I did, I have no idea what you meant by quoting it.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 08, 2009, 01:25:52 pm »
OK, since the reference failed, I'll make it plain and simple. What happens in Cloud's story?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »
A few questions to ask yourself before you post (how I really wanted the Forum etiquette thread. to be):

Is my post clear & concise?
Can others easily understand what I'm trying to communicate?
Am I just being an ass without contributing anything at all?

It's good so far. I find it hard, but only because I have yet to find high value cards, and that the whole 3D thing makes me turn the camera too much in battle. And that Sora sounds like in KHII, despite being the same age as in KH. Well, it was too late for that one.

I thought Haley was a robot! I forget how I played, but I remember that the action was fairly fast-paced (very good for those of us with itchy trigger fingers) for the incredibly few boss battles that actually took your concentration to defeat. I'd call it underrated even though the rest of the game was pretty repetitive & boring...WTF?! A FMV in a GBA game!! Ninny sure knows how to jam pack those carts, don't they?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:28:40 pm by V_Translanka »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »
I figured Pyt would get it. I took the hint and dropped the charade.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 08, 2009, 02:00:07 pm »
However, a detail I don't like in Re is that the EXP gems no longer jump around the battlefield.

Since battlefields are bigger and in 3D, I have to dodge-roll around to get them, while avoiding the enemy attacks.

Or should I be glad? Since the battlefields are bigger, and don't fit in the entire screen unlike in the GBA version, if they move around, it would be harder to get them.

Well?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2009, 03:05:05 pm »
I thought that's what you meant, but then I thought you might've meant some in-joke I wasn't aware of and... y'know.

Anyhoo, Cloud's story's pretty typical stuff from what I can make out, and you've got something pretty similar to his AC story. He wants to know his reason for fighting and between stages asks his companions (Cecil, Tidus and Frionel) what this might be. Sephiroth turns up once or twice telling him he's just a puppet. At one point he argues with Frionel and ends up fighting him, then things get resolved when Frionel shows him the Wild Rose (the symbol of the rebel group in FFII) and inspires him a bit. Cloud then fights Sephiroth in the Northern Crater and the latter leaves after accepting that he's lost and Cloud's mentality is stronger than his.

Oh, and let me just say the team-up of Squall and Tidus is like an oxymoron in visual form and absolutely brilliant.
Tidus: "[...]And that's my story!"
Squall: "...Let's go."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:06:54 pm by Pyt Fumv »

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2009, 04:19:52 pm »
Guess who just indulged in some VERY Expensive games? Me! Anyone want to guess what game that is? Well TOO BAD! I'm telling you anyways. It's... Dun
Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun DUn DDDUUUUUUUUUUNNN!!!

Final Fantasy VII. I've never actually Played it before, and I called it over rated because a game that got 10/10's everywhere... Just no. It cannot POSSIBLY Be that good. I also got Metroid II, Star Ocean: Till the End Of Time, and Legend Of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »
I have only played FFVII once, and it was last summer. It was a good game and all but, FFVI is still Number 1 to me.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2009, 06:53:35 pm »
Hear, hear. I think FFVI is much, much better than FFVII.

FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Star Ocean reign supreme as the three greatest RPG's on the SNES. I honestly can't choose between them. Each is perfect in their own way.

Star Ocean: Till the End Of Time

I love the Star Ocean series, but you will hear from many fans of the series that they hate Star Ocean: TTEOT. Have you played Star Ocean 2 on the PSX and the original Star Ocean (via ROM and Dejap translation) on the SNES? I'd recommend playing those first.

Personally (and this is blasphemous to many Star Ocean fans), I actually liked Star Ocean: TTEOT the best out of all of them. It is an immensely fun game and I really loved the story. Fans of Star Ocean hate the game because there is a particularly unexpected plot twist in the game that many people believe completely and totally ruins the series. I personally really liked it. It was supposed to be a philosophical statement about religion and the nature of existence, not some plot cop-out that was thrown in for no reason whatsoever. I think the point of the "plot twist" is lost on a lot of people that play the game. You'll see what I mean.

Star Ocean: TTEOT is hands down one of my favorite RPG's ever. I place the Star Ocean series in general right up there with the Chrono series. Chrono takes first place, Star Ocean takes second.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:57:58 pm by chrono eric »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2009, 07:12:58 pm »
FFIX=FFTactics>FFVII>FFVI=FFX>FFXII>FFIV>FFI>FFIII>FFII

FFV, FFVIII, FFXI I haven't played yet.