Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194542 times)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: December 28, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »
Oh, yeah! The one with Matt Engarde. That was pretty neat. Edgeworth reveals why he left, and shocks us all with the results of his transformation.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #451 on: December 28, 2008, 07:06:18 pm »
I still think the final case in the second one is my favorite thus far though.

Same here, maybe. 2-4 is just really, really amazing and surprisingly dark. The 3rd case of the 4th game is one I liked, despite the fact introducing another character or two might've made the culprit significantly less obvious. Then again, actually catching out the culprit takes forever...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 28, 2008, 07:12:22 pm »
Even so, Kristoph going batshit looney won my love for the series.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:16 pm »
Has anybody played Grandia II? I ask because I've been trying to think of a good rpg that I haven't played, and I remember that I enjoyed Grandia I and completely forgot they made a sequel to it. I've heard mixed things about it though. I'd rather have the opinion of avid RPG players though. I'd take that over general reviews.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:06 pm »
Grandia II was horrific in my memory. Though I played it at a younger age, so I don't think my opinion is completely correct...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #455 on: December 29, 2008, 05:12:38 pm »
Grandia II was horrific in my memory. Though I played it at a younger age, so I don't think my opinion is completely correct...

Really? I had a blast with Grandia II. The battle system is fun, and even if the voice acting isn't so great, it had a solid story and characters driving things.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 29, 2008, 06:16:36 pm »

Really? I had a blast with Grandia II. The battle system is fun, and even if the voice acting isn't so great, it had a solid story and characters driving things.

Voice Acting? The I'm thinking of the wrong game. Nevermind.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2008, 06:19:10 pm »
Grandia II has voice acting and is for the PS2 (and Dreamcast and PC but who cares?). Grandia I, which you may be thinking of, did not have voice acting and was for the PSX. It was 2D sprites on a 3D background. The world map was 2D and static and you moved around on it by pointing and clicking on locations. The story starts off very, very slowly (the slowest of any rpg I've played) but eventually picks up. However the initial drag is a turn off for many.

EDIT: To my genuine surprise, there are apparently two more Grandia games - Grandia Xtreme and Grandia III, both of which I have never even heard of. Which means they probably horrendously suck.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:31:19 pm by chrono eric »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:59 pm »
Grandia II has voice acting and is for the PS2 (and Dreamcast and PC but who cares?).

Hey! I will de-rail this thread faster then the failure of the 3DO if you bash the Dreamcast.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
EDIT: To my genuine surprise, there are apparently two more Grandia games - Grandia Xtreme and Grandia III, both of which I have never even heard of. Which means they probably horrendously suck.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they suck. Trust me, many games I like were many I didn't heard before but tried anyway. Chrono Trigger is one of them.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2008, 09:58:30 pm »
I loved Grandia II! The battle system is quite possibly my favourite in any RPG ever! Also, there's so much witty dialogue between Ryudo and the NPCs (I found there was even like, 3 different conversations Ryudo could have with each basic town NPC and most were brilliantly funny).

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »
Hey! I will de-rail this thread faster then the failure of the 3DO if you bash the Dreamcast.

Haha, naw the Dreamcast ruled - I wasn't bashing it at all. But who buys Dreamcast games nowadays? I don't own one anymore, and if I had the choice of buying Grandia II on the Dreamcast or PS2 - I'd choose the PS2 naturally.

@ Acacia Sgt: Yes, but since pretty much the only games I play are RPG's, and it's been that way since I was a kid, there are very few that I haven't heard of, which was why I was so surprised. I typically go out of my way to look up unheard of or unpopular RPG's since I've found they are typically very good, and in all my searching I never came across Grandia III. That means word that it was good didn't spread via word of mouth on the internet, and that it faded into obscurity shortly after being released.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:02 pm »
Hah. I have three Dreamcasts and will still buy them or game if I see them, then again I also have an Odyssey2

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:38 pm »
Yes, it may have been that. Although usually games that I like to play are either out of reach to me in either A) I don't own the console or B) It's only in Japan. To bad, there are many in B that I want to play and/or understand.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 29, 2008, 10:11:57 pm »
You know what was an insanely fun Dreamcast RPG? Skies of Arcadia. I miss that game.