Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192793 times)

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2008, 12:45:04 am »
And I'm Currently at DANCING MAD ROLLED!!!

OMG IT'S THAT GUY!!!

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2008, 12:58:06 am »
Actually, that's not the first time I've seen a Xenogears fan say that. I've never played Xenosaga mainly due to lack of time, but the more I read Xenogears fans' opinions about the third game, the more I want to play it.

It's a shame Masato Kato didn't work on the series, though.

Really? I thought I was rather alone in that. Here's my rundown for you:

Xenosaga I: Very good and very fun game, but the story cuts off with a "To be continued" right when it is getting good! Left something to be desired. Nowhere near as good as Xenogears.

Xenosaga II: Starts off immediately after Xenosaga I. Because the story is so complex, if you play Xenosaga I, you've gotta play II right after or you'll be hopelessly "WTF?". The game itself largely sucks. The battle system is horrendous and the story is not up to par. But it's a transition between Xenosaga I and III so you've gotta play it if you're a Xeno fan.

and finally Xenosaga III: Awesome. I rarely call a game "perfect" but it's pretty damn close. If you play an RPG for the story, this game's story is magnificent. It draws everything together from the previous games flawlessly and the battle system is fun once more. You never want the game to end.

For a long time Xenogears and Xenosaga III were neck and neck. But over the past year I replayed Xenosaga I-III and Xenogears consecutively and I've gotta say Xenosaga III is a tiny, tiny bit better story wise and gameplay wise than Xenogears. If the second disc of Xenogears wasn't the way that it is (I don't mind it, but still...) Xenogears would probably win.

My advice? Do yourself a favor and start with Xenosaga I and play through the series. While it is not a direct prequel to Xenogears (in a sense at least, they could easily connect the games), you will not be disappointed as a Xenogears fan. I guarantee it.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2008, 01:02:02 am »
I've Only played Xenogears I-II and Xenogears. Overall I liked Episode one more then Xenogears. I really want to play Episode III but I can't get myself to finish II its not hard or anything but its so blah. Meanwhile I was one of my Favorite game of all time.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #393 on: December 27, 2008, 01:03:17 am »
Are those on PSX??

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2008, 01:04:48 am »
Xenogears - PSX
XenoSaga I,II,III - PS2

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2008, 01:06:23 am »
Xenosaga I and III are so good that I would have bought a Playstation 2 just for them.

And I know people hate Star Ocean 3 but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. It's my favorite Star Ocean next to Star Ocean 1 on the SNES. That's another awesome PS2 RPG. (The plot twist in the game didn't really bother me at all. I don't understand why so many people hate the plot twist)

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2008, 01:19:47 am »
I gots tons of space for PS2 games. I'm sure I can find all 4 of those games at gamestop in the Rot Rack.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2008, 01:26:22 am »
Go for it man they're worth it. And if you're a CT fan then you've gotta play Xenogears. Play that one first.

Hammer

• Earthbound (+15)
  • MAD SKILLZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 27, 2008, 08:51:40 am »
and I've gotta say Xenosaga III is a tiny, tiny bit better story wise and gameplay wise than Xenogears.

This comment made me want to start playing the series immediately.

If the second disc of Xenogears wasn't the way that it is (I don't mind it, but still...) Xenogears would probably win.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On a first playthrough that was kinda weird. I don't mind too, though. The story's more important than anything else to me.

Xenosaga I and III are so good that I would have bought a Playstation 2 just for them.

And I know people hate Star Ocean 3 but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. It's my favorite Star Ocean next to Star Ocean 1 on the SNES. That's another awesome PS2 RPG. (The plot twist in the game didn't really bother me at all. I don't understand why so many people hate the plot twist)

I've played FFX, FFXII, Grandia 3, Radiata Stories and Nocturne, and I don't know. I feel that these games were lacking something that I can't really define. I just didn't get into them as I used to get into RPGs before. I barely remember their plots' details.

I gots tons of space for PS2 games. I'm sure I can find all 4 of those games at gamestop in the Rot Rack.

You're gonna love Xenogears, man.  :lee:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 27, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »
Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2...  The Red King is a bitch.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »
The same with me. Maybe something about more emphasis on graphics did it...
And that the main charecters of X and XII whined like Crazy, more than Luke Skywalker!!

And that they both had terrible direct sequels.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 27, 2008, 01:44:19 pm »
The same with me. Maybe something about more emphasis on graphics did it...
And that the main charecters of X and XII whined like Crazy, more than Luke Skywalker!!

And that they both had terrible direct sequels.
Meh... it seems to be the trend(VII-XII; excluding IX) that the protagonists are either whiney or antisocial -- or both.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #402 on: December 27, 2008, 01:45:42 pm »
What do you consider Antisocial?

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 27, 2008, 01:52:14 pm »
What do you consider Antisocial?
unfriendly, withdrawn or simply not sociable; Squall's(FF8) inherent withdrawal/aversion from the social structure is a good example.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #404 on: December 27, 2008, 02:03:46 pm »
I like to ignore my Parents and General Family occasionally when they are annoying me to talk to you guys and play RPGs. What would that be?

I like being friendly, but my friends and I at school and in General are withdrawn from regular society. We have a good reason, and we sort of formed our own little society.