Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 194484 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 21, 2008, 01:01:01 am »
Y'know, thinking about it, I actually DO really want to see a DS remake of FFV now so that they can inject more into those lame characters...Maybe really go into Faris & Reina's relationship more...I always thought that should have been explored more...Maybe add a Star Wars nod where she kisses Faris before they find out Faris' first secret...God I hate talking about FFV because there's so many spoilers...

I'd even be willing to wait longer for FFVI DS so they could do something like that...

I see you have a crossdressing lesbian pirate princess incest fetish.
Haha, yeah, there's tons of opportunity for a DS remake to add character development.

I could almost say "screw FFVDS, VI is more important, do that next!", but Gilgamesh and the fact the game is generally fun (mostly because of the job system's flexibility) warrants it for me.

I'm glad to say that Dissidia made Bartz a canonical idiot (I love how the turtle sage in FFV Advance's localization keeps referring to him as stupid and asking too many questions). From what I've played, anyway (he walks into a really obvious trap of Kefka's within the first 5 minutes in Zidane's story, for instance). Oh, and the Japanese version keeps his name spelt as 'Butz'. Plus his gimmick is fairly bizarre... he wields the swords of other FF heroes, although I guess this is keeping with the fact Bare/Freelancer classes in FFV can equip any weapon... Or it's a throwback to Gilgamesh (he made his debut in V, see?) using fake versions of FF hero swords in FFXII!
I would've paid to play as an Ex-death-smashing Monk Galuf instead anyway.

Reminds me of the theory in which Gogo was Adlai E. Stevenson.

Shame that one got proven a joke.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #346 on: December 21, 2008, 01:06:51 am »
Y'know, thinking about it, I actually DO really want to see a DS remake of FFV now so that they can inject more into those lame characters...Maybe really go into Faris & Reina's relationship more...I always thought that should have been explored more...Maybe add a Star Wars nod where she kisses Faris before they find out Faris' first secret...God I hate talking about FFV because there's so many spoilers...

I'd even be willing to wait longer for FFVI DS so they could do something like that...

I see you have a crossdressing lesbian pirate princess incest fetish.

Are you kidding? It's the only fiction I read! >_>

I'm glad to say that Dissidia made Bartz a canonical idiot (I love how the turtle sage in FFV Advance's localization keeps referring to him as stupid and asking too many questions). From what I've played, anyway (he walks into a really obvious trap of Kefka's within the first 5 minutes in Zidane's story, for instance). Oh, and the Japanese version keeps his name spelt as 'Butz'. Plus his gimmick is fairly bizarre... he wields the swords of other FF heroes, although I guess this is keeping with the fact Bare/Freelancer classes in FFV can equip any weapon... Or it's a throwback to Gilgamesh (he made his debut in V, see?) using fake versions of FF hero swords in FFXII!
I would've paid to play as an Ex-death-smashing Monk Galuf instead anyway.

Reminds me of the theory in which Gogo was Adlai E. Stevenson.

Shame that one got proven a joke.

Yeah, unfortunately, regardless of who he's around, Adlai is always lame...

Oh, and one thing I dislike about FFV is that when people talk about how they hate it, it sounds like they're insulting me! >_<

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:52 am »
Never played FF5 so I have no opinion. Sounds like a good game coming from you, Trans.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2008, 01:14:32 am »
FFV is a good game. I liked battling Gilgamesh whenever the chance arrived. Although I didn't liked how the original Warriors of Dawn all died even though they had defeated Exdeath before, making their previous efforts worthless and now having to rely on new heroes. Why they can't be heroes for a second time?

Really, that kind of situations happening to a character is something I don't like in general.

Well, there are exceptions, and I know many have a reasonable excuse but, I still don't like it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:29:24 am by Acacia Sgt »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2008, 01:37:23 pm »
FFV was decent, but they had so much room for character development...and they didn't take any of it. And holy shit, it is full of spoilers...but without spoiling too much (or repeating what's already been spoiled), I can safely say I loved the job system in that game, and the setting. The plot wasn't bad at all, but the plots for FFIV and FFVI definitely outshine FFV. But that job system is just plain great--I'm a sucker for 'em.

You should give it a good play through, Shadow.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2008, 01:40:07 pm »
I'll take a look on YouTube if I ever get the chance.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »
Dude, I LOVE FFV. although the last time I saw it was when I lent it to my freind to get him aquainted to RPG's for when CTDS came out, and he's getting THAT for his birthday. So hopefully soon we will be seeing another Nerd on Compendium...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2008, 10:24:03 pm »
Speaking of FF, I have now started IX. It is good so far.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2008, 11:40:18 pm »
I think the characters & storyline for FFV were kind of on the poor side...By the time FFV came out, they had already played out the crystal storyline three times prior (FFI, FFIII, & FFIV)...Unfortunately, it's not the fourth time's the charm...The Job Class System was good, but I still prefer III & T.

FFIX on the other hand has great characters...I think it's probably got the most character development of the series. The story's a little on the iffy side...and Kuja is kind of forgettable, but otherwise, it's a great RPG and the best of the PSX numbered series (though I count FFVIII as trailing very closely)...

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2008, 03:39:15 am »
I loved IX, its possibly my favorite over all.

Right now I playing Civ III and FFX-2. Now before people jump all over me I know the story is more then lacking, but it does have the best combat system out of the whole series I feel(save tactics) and I like the side quest adventure system.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2008, 03:58:55 am »
I think X-2 was fine and I really can't think of X alone because of how much a continuation of the story X-2 was. I was completely fine with the 3-woman team and the Dress Spheres and a lot of that junk people usually say was just horrible in comparison to X...The one thing that bugged me, though was that the New Game+ feature wasn't really utilized as well as I thought it could have...There should have been more branching points to make multiple playthroughs more interesting...As is there's like one branch and since you only have the 3 characters the only real changes you can make is what Dress Spheres you use...and a few slightly varying endings...

Maybe no game's New Game+ will compare to those in the Chrono series...*sigh*

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #356 on: December 22, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »
FFIX was phenomenal--it's the only FF I got into after the SNES games. I loved how it was a nod to the classics at times...it was fuckin' great. I haven't picked up any FF since then, I've heard good stuff about XII, but I'm not sure I'll bother buying it.

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 22, 2008, 06:39:26 pm »
FFIX was great. It's definitely one of my favorites, trailing not far behind FFVII. The first two discs of the game were among the best in gaming, but everything after getting to Terra just had me scratching my head, like: "...the fuck just happened?" The whole Zidane/Kuja thing was just completely out of left field. From what I remember they were created and they were brothers and Kuja would die if Zidane became too strong, or...something. I never even wondered why Zidane had a tail, I just assumed he was one of those wayward Saiyans from Planet Vegeta that was sent to a weak planet and also suffered from amnesia. I thought his Trance attacks were total DBZ, but then Kuja practically turned SSJ4 shortly before blowing up the planet Terra. And don't even get me started on Necron and his regurgitating of Star Wars dialogue ("fear leads to anger", etc.). Still, there are a lot more good things about FFIX than bad. I thought it was much, much better than FFVIII.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:41:52 pm by The Black Wind »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 22, 2008, 06:58:27 pm »
As for FF X-2...honestly I didn't really have that much of a problem with it, except that:

(possible spoiler)

They really shouldn't have "reversed" the ending of FF X if you know what I mean.

Tragedy makes for a more beautiful story IMO.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 22, 2008, 08:29:10 pm »
I agree with you Eric.

Many times have I tried to get 100% in X-2. The farthest did I reach was 52%. But after Dark Yojimbo, which I could never defeat, I haven't bothered to continue.

I can't believe how many incomplete games I still have. In Tales of Phantasia I'm still in Dhaos's Castle in the future and since then I haven't play it in a long time. In Narikiri Dungeon 3 I have beaten mission 17, and that's as far as I am. And in Summoner's Lineage, I'm still in mission 2. And that's just a few of them.

I really need to play them more often.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:07:55 pm by Acacia Sgt »